Fordmods Logo

EF EL subwoofer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF EL subwoofer
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

Does Anyone know how the RMS of the stock 8" sub from the premium sound ?
i was wondering what would be a suitable replacement
and im also wondering if you know the RMS of the 2 rear parcel shelf 6.5" from the premium sound as well

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: EF EL subwoofer
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Dunno exactly what the speakers are, but the amp can supply about 50WRMS per channel and the sub channel is 120WRMS, with the right power cable.

So, the speakers will be around that, although the sub is a 6 ohm one. Speakers are 4 ohm.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

so being 6ohm sub would the quality it produces be better than the aftermarket 8" that would suit the rear parcel being they are 4ohm (i dont wanna cut holes or have big stupid boxes for my sub i need the boot space)

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
so being 6ohm sub would the quality it produces be better than the aftermarket 8" that would suit the rear parcel being they are 4ohm (i dont wanna cut holes or have big stupid boxes for my sub i need the boot space)

Yes, 6 Ohm speakers generally have better sound, clarity wise. That's why some home theatre systems just sound awesome over car speakers.

However aftermarket 8" may have a higher RMS rating giving you louder sounds...and if it is high quality speaker, then it will probably have the same clarity as stock.

If you are looking for loudness, I'd say go aftermarket. If you are happy with the amount of bass, stick with the old. If you have money, buy the best 8" money can buy. You can use a 10" sub and mounted from underneath with a spacer as well.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

im more into sound quality than loudness i wanna be able to hear when im 19+

if the RMS figures above are correct i was thinking of putting PIONEER TS-SW841D in and PIONEER TS-A1683S in the rear and then maybe putting a aftermarket amp under one of the seats at the front with just 50w RMS 2 channel and doing the same for the front (if that is possible gotta look into it more ive only just started looking into amps etc a few days ago)

or possibly replacing the ford stock one putting in a pioneer 4 channel (naturally going to upgrade the power cords) and running the front that way as well

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i have an el fairmont ghia and i recently changed out all the speakers in it as they were shagged. I went for cheap as possible (4 6" for $96 and picked up a philips 8" ex display sub for $95). I gotta say the difference is immense. I dont know what the ohms for the speakers ans sub are, but if it is a lower ohm sub, it still sounds great.

That being said, the stock speakers were totally shagged and made more noise rattling than anything, but it is great now!

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thank for all your advice everyone

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]