Fordmods Logo

EF Premo Sound Head Unit And Amp Help! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF Premo Sound Head Unit And Amp Help!
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

Whats the wattage output of the Factory Premo Head Unit?
Like is it 40w x 4? or something.

And one more thing i have connected up two stock Amps and one of them like dies out.... They both work individually connected though. I even disconnected the Sub..oh and the sub is linked to both amps and each rear speakers are connected to one amp. And i have done all my power, ground and remote. Why is one of them dieing out? the amps are stock premo amps and all the speakers and sub all stock. The amp that dies out gets the orange colour when this happens the cars idle drops. The battery should be be good and should have enough power to handle two stock amps.

What could the problem be? And does anyone know what wattage output are the stock amps.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

VIC, Australia

The head unit would be around 11wrms x4 and the amp would be 45wrms x4. You say that you have both amps hooked up to the sub???? I don't understand why you would do that????

If I were you, I would use one amp bridged to two channel (ch1+2=Lh 3+4=RH) on a decent set of front splits, and wire the other to the rear speakers off ch 1+2 and the sub off channels 3+4 (bridged) The end pannel on the alpine made premo amp (black) unscrews to access the settings for crossovers and gains etc.

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hhhmmm.... My first time this is hooking up a sound system. But did i do something wrong by hooking the sub to both amps? I thought this is how to bridge.

But i think you have shed some light for me in your explanation. But i really still am unsure.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

And also i don't want my fronts to be connected up with any amp just let the head unit handle them.

So how would i do that (what channels for which)?

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

VIC, Australia

If you only want the rear speakers and sub running off an amp, you only need one amp.
To do what you have said.....
1.-Run the front speakers off the head unit front speaker outputs.(stereo)

2.-Run the rear speakers off channels 1+2 (R=1 & L =2) (stereo)

3.-Run the sub off channels 3&4 bridged (mono)

I would personally prefer to run the rear speakers off the head unit rear channels and the fronts off the amp.

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Sorry Asizzy for the late reply, so you are wanting to run 2 premo amps (1 from ef-el and 1 from au) one to run the sub (bridged from 1 amp) and the 2 rears (bridged from 2 channels from each amp)... Well to be honest with you it wont work. Its alot of stuffing around for no real gain. All good sound systems have the fronts as main sound stage and the rears for fill or any at all. You are best to just use the ef-el amp on its own or if you want more punch you will have to save some $$ to buy a half decent amp that can actually be adjusted. If you want to keep the premo HU buy a 4ch amp and a line convertor (if amp doesnt have high level inputs) then run the sub off bridged 2channels off new amp and the fronts off the other 2 channels and leave the rears running off the factory amp. Also you asked what channels are what on the factory amp.

ch 1 - left input (white RCA)
ch 2 - right input (red RCA)
ch 3 - sub input (yellow RCA)
ch 4 - bridged with ch 3

Personally if you do want a bigger sound you will have to get rid of the premo sound and go after market as the power to amps will have to be upgraded along with speakers and essentially the HU to have full control and more features like AUX in for MP3/iPod.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What about if i want to run them with both amps? It will be a waste then.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
Sorry Asizzy for the late reply, so you are wanting to run 2 premo amps (1 from ef-el and 1 from au) one to run the sub (bridged from 1 amp) and the 2 rears (bridged from 2 channels from each amp)... Well to be honest with you it wont work. Its alot of stuffing around for no real gain. All good sound systems have the fronts as main sound stage and the rears for fill or any at all. You are best to just use the ef-el amp on its own or if you want more punch you will have to save some $$ to buy a half decent amp that can actually be adjusted. If you want to keep the premo HU buy a 4ch amp and a line convertor (if amp doesnt have high level inputs) then run the sub off bridged 2channels off new amp and the fronts off the other 2 channels and leave the rears running off the factory amp. Also you asked what channels are what on the factory amp.

ch 1 - left input (white RCA)
ch 2 - right input (red RCA)
ch 3 - sub input (yellow RCA)
ch 4 - bridged with ch 3

Personally if you do want a bigger sound you will have to get rid of the premo sound and go after market as the power to amps will have to be upgraded along with speakers and essentially the HU to have full control and more features like AUX in for MP3/iPod.

Hey, I understand that really no use for me to amp the rears.
"so you are wanting to run 2 premo amps (1 from ef-el and 1 from au) one to run the sub (bridged from 1 amp) and the 2 rears (bridged from 2 channels from each amp)"

I wanted the opposite i want sub (bridged from 2 channels from each amp) and rears (bridged from 1 amp). Is this possible? I understand that this would not have that much gains if any. But i would really like to know. I also understand that i should really invest in some aftermaket gear. But i just have these amps and i want to make use of it. I have even mounted both of the amps already and all the power cables and ground etc, would be a waste now. Sorry for being so ignorant but i'd really like to make use of both the amps. (Not really in the financial state to buy new gear atm.)

Thanks for the RCA Labels.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

No its not possible to bridge 2 channels from each amp to run a single sub or even bridge 4 channels from a single amp to run a single sub. If you want more sub and if the sub is mounted in the parcel shelf as factory either install a 10" sub or install an enclosed sub or simply a bigger amp to run it as the factory amp is only about 100watts rms bridged.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

grub73 wrote:
The head unit would be around 11wrms x4 and the amp would be 45wrms x4. You say that you have both amps hooked up to the sub???? I don't understand why you would do that????

Headunit tis actually 25wrms X 2 for the front.

Amp is 50wrms x 4, but channels 3 and 4 are bridged internally to make around 120wrms. Other channels aren't bridgable.

Best thing you can do is run an 8 gauge to and from the factory amp, and it will make it a winner.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
No its not possible to bridge 2 channels from each amp to run a single sub or even bridge 4 channels from a single amp to run a single sub. If you want more sub and if the sub is mounted in the parcel shelf as factory either install a 10" sub or install an enclosed sub or simply a bigger amp to run it as the factory amp is only about 100watts rms bridged.

Ooookkk, So you cant Bridge all for channels to one Sub as i was going to ask that. Fair enough...

So i guess i will have to have the sub connected to one amp bridged (3+4) and Have One rear speaker connected to one amp bridged (1+2) and the other rear speaker bridged on (3+4). So that will mean the (1+2) channels on the Sub amp will be free. OK, better then nothing i guess. Let me know if how i said is allowable to hook up.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
grub73 wrote:

Amp is 50wrms x 4, but channels 3 and 4 are bridged internally to make around 120wrms. Other channels aren't bridgable.

Best thing you can do is run an 8 gauge to and from the factory amp, and it will make it a winner.

Yeah, I have 4 gauge from the Battery to the Distro Block> 8 gauge to amps. And for the Ground i have 8 gauge from amp to distro block> 8 gauge to car chassis.

edit: Its 4 Gauge to Car Chassis.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Last edited by asizzy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I want to know also.... sorry for these types of questions... why can't you connect a sub to both amps? Whats the reason why you cant do this?

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

asizzy wrote:
arm79 wrote:
grub73 wrote:

Yeah, I have 4 gauge from the Battery to the Distro Block> 8 gauge to amps. And for the Ground i have 8 gauge from amp to distro block> 8 gauge to car chassis.

That will do the job well. You will typically get 20 to 25% over the figures I gave you then.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok, Here is what i did today.

On one of the Amp i hooked up both the Rear Speakers two channels each, and by going what joolz has mentioned i only plugged the white and red rca inputs.

On the other Amp i hooked up the Sub bridged with two channels and also plugged in the yellow rca input into this amp.

And the problem with the amps sucking the juice of the car has disappeared..... Was it because i hooked up both the amps to the Sub?

Thanks for the help guys and the invitation. I really have learned something here.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next