Fordmods Logo

EL Futura Central Locking Problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Futura Central Locking Problems
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Futura

New Zealand

Hi all, I have a bit of a problem with my '97 Futura that I was hoping someone could shed some light on ...

Basically the central locking is not working as it should ... the following are some of the symptoms:

1. key doesn't unlock door (have to use remote);
2. when using remote the drivers latch goes up, pauses, then goes down again;
3. when using remote the passenger side latch doesn't move;
4. in the second or so that the drivers latch is up I can open the door - the latch still goes down again but at least I am in the car;
5. opening the passenger door from the inside makes the latch go up as well as driver side latch;
6. in this condition the remote will not lock the car - the latches go down then pop straight back up;
7. only way to lock car is to depress passenger latch from inside car.

I suspect it is to do with the passenger side locking mechanism but am unsure why key doesn't work ... HELP!!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Well, changed the lock actuator on the passenger side so now that part of the central locking works as it should ... sort of ... for some reason the central locking is not actually locking the drivers side ... the only way to actually lock or unlock is with the key. The rest of the central locking is working fine (all the other doors lock and unlock via remote as they should) - is there a mechanical connection of some sort on the drivers side between the key lock and the central locking system? What else could it be?

Many thanks for your help,

Kiwi Ford Fan

p.s. 1, 2, 3 ... Go FORD, Go Lowndesy & Jamie

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Well, changed the lock actuator on the passenger side so now that part of the central locking works as it should ... sort of ... for some reason the central locking is not actually locking the drivers side ... the only way to actually lock or unlock is with the key. The rest of the central locking is working fine (all the other doors lock and unlock via remote as they should) - is there a mechanical connection of some sort on the drivers side between the key lock and the central locking system? What else could it be?

Many thanks for your help,

Kiwi Ford Fan

p.s. 1, 2, 3 ... Go FORD, Go Lowndesy & Jamie

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

what happens to the button on the door when you try to operate the central locking from the dash button, does the button try to move or is there no signs of life?

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

When I used the button it was the same story (before I did the passeger side actuator the drivers side would go up but not the passenger side, then the drivers one would go down again) ... but, in saying that I have now fixed all the problems ...

Well ... another $80 at the wreckers for a door lock for the drivers side ... problems all fixed now. Cause?? On the farside of the lock mechanism (looking from inside car) there is a plastic "cam" which actuates the central locking rod for the drivers side (and hence the rest of the car) ... seems that when the passenger side central locking seized and I had to use the key I possibly cracked this little "50c" piece of plastic and it has decided to crack right through so that the cam no longer actuates the central locking ... what a pain in the "donkey".

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

this plastic "cam" , could it be what locks the doors when you press the door lock button? if so it's an actuator and they die fairly regularly, unless it's an aftermarket one. I have 3 of 4 sitting here which i replaced a while back, 2 of them still work really well.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

the central locking in my el cycles in the hot weather, how do i diagnose which actuator is at fault ? tryed searching but cant find an answer.

thx

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

the only way i fool proof way know of is trial and error. Take the door skins off and disconnect each one of them in turn. When they stop cycling you have found the faulty unit. You could listen to the door if you know what you are looking for. I did this and found that one of the replacements that I bought from a wrecker was going to give up the ghost soon. The faulty ones will lock later than the ones that are not faulty.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mine does this but intermittently...

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

oh ok, got a mate who is an appprentice auto leccy, sounds like a job for him ;)

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I would love to find out what his thoughts are on this....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]