Fordmods Logo

EL XR8 and sub... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR8 and sub...
Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

I just have the factory EL XR8 stereo (which is probably the same as all EL's isnt it) anyway, i was wondering if it can be connected up to a sub?? or an amp... or does it not have the output connections required...
thought someone on here may be able to help me before i bother pulling it out just to have a look.

thanks

Post subject: Re: EL XR8 and sub...
Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

tickin wrote:
Hi all,

I just have the factory EL XR8 stereo (which is probably the same as all EL's isnt it) anyway, i was wondering if it can be connected up to a sub?? or an amp... or does it not have the output connections required...
thought someone on here may be able to help me before i bother pulling it out just to have a look.

thanks

Well take it you dont have the premium sound system since you are wanting to connect a sub.

Your honest bet mate is to purcvhase an aftermarket headunit...with 4v Pre-outs...(RCA outs) so an external amplifier thus a sub can easily be connected....theres a lil more too it but yeh u get the idea....start there and if ya got any more queries before u purchase or commit to anything just post it up and plenty of ppl on here are more than happy to help.

You can also do a search of this forum for ppl who have done similair things.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/search.php

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Yeah even a cheaper CD player would be a good idea.
Or you can get a Line out converter, and run an amp for a sub with that.
They're cheap as chips too. Depends on what ur want fro it, and how $$$ you want to spend.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

EF/EL XR's had the same stereo as Futura & Fairmont unless optioned otherwise.

Do you have the CD stacker as well? If not I would replace the head unit as well. If it was an AU and you wanted to keep the buttons on the steering wheel, maybe keep the deck but otherwise as good as they are, they really arent all that. They are cheap as now for a quality one and as someone else mentioned would give you RCA's.

Pioneer do amps with speaker inputs. They call they factory level inputs or something similar....Attached a pic below of the inputs on my 2ch 300w. Would say if Pioneer do them, most other brands would be too. Run your speaker wires from the head unit to the amp and then amp to speakers/sub as per normal. Not sure what the sound quality is like connected that way but would guess and say not as good as RCA's.

If connecting to an amp via speaker inputs you will lose a set of speakers by the time you run 2 channels (speaker wires) to the amp to run the sub......Again back to being better replacing the head unit as well.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

if i get a new deck in my Futura can i still use my buttons on the steering wheel???? i love them buttons

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Most likely not.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

thanks for all our help guys... appreciate it.
I do have the CD stacker in the boot... its just the factory one.. if i do go for a new head unit will i be able to keep the stacker?? does it just mean buying a pioneer head unit?? or all brands may work with it???

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

You will be able to mix and match head unit to amp but not to sure on the stacker....that will be Alpine being factory so you may have to head that way. Being a Ford fitment, it probably has a Ford plug on the back of the stacker and therefore limits you from using it on anther head unit. I could be wrong with that but hassle your local friendly stereo salesman for as long as need be! Pick one that does installs as well, as that way you might be able to talk to the bloke that fits them. They usually dont talk the dribble the salesman out the front does and will tell you straight out if what you want to do will work.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]