External Antenna for BF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: External Antenna for BF
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF XR6

SA, Australia

Hi,

Just wanting to know if there is an external antenna which could be used on my BF for the raido. I think the window tint has upset the reception a bit. Looking at maybe a window mount style if one exists.

What was the one used on the roof of BA/BF Fairlanes for?

BF XR6 - Silhouette, 6 Speed Manual, Leather Interior, Premium Sound, 18" BF XR Rims, Herrod Stainless Steel Exhaust & Headers, Typhoon CAI.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

roof mount would usually be for mobile phones. My guess is the dodgy bastards used a scraper and have cut the demister lines on your window (or just disconnected them (worth checking)). after market, there are stick on style ones or i have seen a 1 foot long rod thingy that would probably work better than the stick on ones that usually need 12v as well to power the amplifier.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

i have seen some very effective windscreen mount FM antennas.

Also just FYI you will find a standard coaxial antenna connector behind the LHS kick panel trim which is a good spot to take your wiring from

Post subject: Re: External Antenna for BF
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA xr6

SA, Australia

xr6 wrote:
Hi,

Just wanting to know if there is an external antenna which could be used on my BF for the raido. I think the window tint has upset the reception a bit. Looking at maybe a window mount style if one exists.

I had window tint on my car since it was new and no problems.
must be something else.

Roobin

Ford BA XR6 4.0L Auto, ICC Carputer, DBA Slotted Rotors, Bendix Pads, 18" Mags, BF Tail Lights, Factory CAI & VSI LPG.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

B series cars have always had issues with radio quality and certain tints make it even worse. This is from a post in fordforums.com.au about the matter...

Quote:
There's a Ford Service Bulletin on this problem # 39/04 and these rear window aerials can be made to work properly.

1st check the resistance on the earth bolt on the aerial connector inside the C pillar. This is the most likely problem.

Remove the C pillar inside cover where the wires go and check the resistance between the centre of the earth bolt and the silver earth circuit on the PCB (printed circuit board) earth it sits on (silver coloured circuit surrounded by green PCB insulation) inside the plastic module; it's the round shaped bit of the PCB around the bolt head. Use a digital multimeter making sure you zero calibrate it before measuring. The resistance should be zero or close to it (no more than 5 ohms). If its more than 5 ohms replace it with new earth bolt - service part number P&A # 21002924 and tighten it to 9nm.

Next unplug the coaxial cable (gently they are fragile) and check the out earth and centre wire are not touching. Reconnect gently so these wire don't twist and touch.

Also check the main earth strap is sound on the driver's side chassis rail - no dirt or grease. If it's suspect it also uses P&A # 21002924 as a replacement. Similarly check and replace the adjacent power distribution box earth which also uses the same part.

These bolts are cheap so I would buy and replace the three anyway.

I would also strongly suggest (not suggested in the Bulletin) you also get hold of some Kopr Shield (see http://www.tessco.com/products/disp...469&eventPage=1 and http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?...temType=PRODUCT) and put it under each bolt and on its thread after cleaning the connection (bolt and ground) with a copper wire brush. This will improve the earth connection and prevent it corroding and going high resistance over time. Also use this on the terminal where they connect to the rear heater demister (be very gentle sliding the terminal off so you don't detach it from the glass or break it off).

Kopr Shield is hard to find in Oz and I get mine from Eastwood in the US (http://www.eastwoodco.com/). This product has lots of applications and the small bottle lasts for ages. Great on battery terminals and anywhere you want to ensure a 100% electrical connection and prevent corrosion caused resistance.

Some of my electronics hobbyist friend have suggested that Alminox Jointing Compound or Utilux H2397/1 joint compound which is more readily available in Oz can be used for such applications instead but both these products are really for aluminium electrical joints and not as good as Kopr Shield. Nonetheless they might be worth a try until you can get some Kopr Shield. I guess even graphite dust would be better than nothing as an interim measure.

If that fails check the continuity of the coax lead between the module and the radio and that the module in the C pillar is getting 12V with the ignition on.

Might want to see if that helps before putting an external antenna

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cheers mate, i will see if that works. Thanks for hunting that down for me.

BF XR6 - Silhouette, 6 Speed Manual, Leather Interior, Premium Sound, 18" BF XR Rims, Herrod Stainless Steel Exhaust & Headers, Typhoon CAI.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

That's no worries, I need to do it on my car so let me know how it goes

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUIII

NSW, Australia

Did you opt for the foil type tint that has that chrome finish? that will do for sure!

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I got the car second hand, and it used to be a company lease vehicle. I would say that it is a fairly standard tint, although apparently it was slightly below regulations at 33% when i had it registered from NSW to SA. They let me go regardless which was good.

Post subject: Re: External Antenna for BF
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: BFII Fairmont Ghia, Silver

VIC, Australia

roobin wrote:
xr6 wrote:
Hi,

Just wanting to know if there is an external antenna which could be used on my BF for the radio. I think the window tint has upset the reception a bit. Looking at maybe a window mount style if one exists.

I had window tint on my car since it was new and no problems.
Must be something else.

This is from the BF Mk1 owner's manual, p.85:

"RADIO OPERATION
Your vehicle is equipped with an 'On Glass' antenna which is incorporated in the rear window on sedans and on the left hand side rear quarter window on wagons.
Window tinting is not recommended on glass with printed antenna elements. Metallised window tint material significantly degrades radio reception on both the AM and FM bands. Non metallised dye based tint material is an improvement over metallised tint material but may still degrade radio reception."

On my BF sedan I've fitted an interior black venetian for the rear window so when the time comes to tint, I will only get the side windows done.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]