Fordmods Logo

extra RCA's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: extra RCA's
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:36 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 92 Eb II Gli

QLD, Australia

hey is it possible to get extra RCA port adaptor for a head unit that only has the 1 set? cause i got a decent head unit but i dont wanna buy a new one so i can run duel amps for my set of 4 speakers then my other for the woofer if this is possible any advice would be great thanks :)

Post subject: Re: extra RCA's
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

The answer is yes you can.

There would be 2 ways about it. You can either use RCA splitters to split 1 pair into 2, or to usea set of line level converters, which convert the speaker inputs into RCA's.

The splitters are the easiest way - but keep in mind that you are effevtively halving the signal that would come from a normal pair of RCA's.

I would advise against splitting more than once - and just buy a better head unit. If it was a truly good Head unit, i would have more than 1 set of pre outs.

That being said, I am running 1 pair of splitters and am not having any issues.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:24 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

never thought of splitting them lol yeah thatl work great just gotta go about finding the correct splitter for it now lol but what ive noticed alot of headunits untill you get into the 400+ range have 1 set of pre outs >.> pain in the as s if you ask me lol thanks mate !

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Grambo wrote:
never thought of splitting them lol yeah thatl work great just gotta go about finding the correct splitter for it now lol but what ive noticed alot of headunits untill you get into the 400+ range have 1 set of pre outs >.> pain in the as s if you ask me lol thanks mate !

To Achieve what you are wanting, you will need to run splitters into splitters. doing this will worsen the signal that the amps will end up getting. This will mean that there will be a noticeable drop in the quality of the sound (you will hear a background hiss/noise), and you will need to run the HU at higher levels to compensate. This may cause an issue if your RCA's on the HU are not the best (The HU may distort at the higher levels). I would only run splitters if the head units have high voltage pre-outs. The head unit that I have run splitters on has 6.5v pre-outs, and I only chose to run splitters after I used all 3 sets of pre-outs.

I would suggest spending the $$$ to buy a better head unit. I bought a DEH-4150UB from JB Hi-Fi for only $340, for the daily driver. It has the 3 pairs of RCA's and is a feature packed unit. Well worth the money.

If this is out of your price range, look into a second hand unit. You will find some very high end units on eBay for between $150-200, that may be a few years old. To be honest, these older units will only look different - they will still be excellent units.
In my Ghia, I am still running a head unit that I bought several years ago (2004-2005, I can't remember exactly). At one stage, I upgraded the car to a DVD unit - but the features could not compare to the older unit. I have since put the older unit back in - and removed all the DVD gear from the car.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:40 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

second hand is always good as long as you get a unit that has been looked after, ive never brought new and dont think i will unless i get a DVD unit i got a $1200 eclipse unit 8v pre outs HD radio gps and a range of other SQ features second hand with still over 1 year of warranty for $400! there is a really nice clarion unit currently on ebay, touch screen and what not for $300 still looks new its a DXZ865MP well worth the dollars i dont think anyone has bid on it either which means you could proberly get it for about 250ish...

splitting is just stupid and there is no real need to amp your rear speakers if you've got a sub as they are just rear fill.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

well my rear speakers do sound really good the bass in them is actually really incrediable my headunit is just a pioneer i picked up from JB for $154 i think it was the 09 model of that price range well i got a 2nd question if i bridged 2x 12inch subs at 1000 Watt Pumpo each could i bridge both them onto a Mono block amp running at idk say 500-1000RMS would i need a 2nd RCA for this to work >.> confuses me

Grambo~

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What subs and what amp?

I am guessing they are two 4ohm single voice coil subs (one +- each), in this case you will wire them in parallel to run at 2ohms, but make sure your amp is capable of running at 2ohms (which most are these days).

Your amp will have a rating as to how much power it can make at 2 or 4ohms. As a broad generalisation most amps have 4ohm rms power x 1.5 = 2ohm power (in a perfect world would be exactly double).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]