Fordmods Logo

factory amp in the ED 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: factory amp in the ED
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

With the factory amp in the ED when u have a aftermarket deck installed how would u power up the amp??
Does it have gains?
What does it actually run?

My car had an aftermarket deck installed so the speaker wires were allready found. I want to get a sub in the parcel shelf as i have a gas tank i cannot put a sub box in.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

The amp should be a cut down Alpine amp, I don't think that they have gain controls or x-overs as for turning it on it should have a 2 pin molex style plug with 1 wire in it, that is the remote turn on signal for it.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

If the cable has only 1 wire in it how would it get the signal from the deck for sound? Do these have RCA inputs as i havnt yet looked at the amp yet as i will do that on the weekend also how are these amps powered?

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
If the cable has only 1 wire in it how would it get the signal from the deck for sound? Do these have RCA inputs as i havnt yet looked at the amp yet as i will do that on the weekend also how are these amps powered?

they are wired up like any other amp

positive
ground
rem

rca's for your input's and four channels, although channels 3-4 are internally bridged to run power the factory 8" free air sub so you would only be able to run 2 speakers and a piss ant sub. IMO power is something lik25w rms X2 and 50rms X1

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The Alpine amp that they were based on were 35w/ch @ 4 ohms and 1x100 @ 4 ohms so I would imagine that they would be similar...

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ok thats sorted, now 1 more thing>
My deck wiring is connected to a loom which i assume would have been the original plug into the harness, now my front and rear speakers are connected to this loom so does this mean the speakers are powered through the deck or the amp?

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
Ok thats sorted, now 1 more thing>
My deck wiring is connected to a loom which i assume would have been the original plug into the harness, now my front and rear speakers are connected to this loom so does this mean the speakers are powered through the deck or the amp?

if there wired into the factory loom behind the cd player then yes they would be running through the amp.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

piss off the factory amp. low power = crap sound. don't mount a sub in your parcel shelf. i have a gas tank and also have a 12" and a 15" sub. and a 6 channel amp in there too

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

wow i didnt even know you could get a 6 channel amp haha, im looking at getting an after market 8 inch sub and puttin it in the parcel shelf and using an afetrmarket amp to power it, do they sound good? has anybody done it? i wanna save room in the boot.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

danbode wrote:
wow i didnt even know you could get a 6 channel amp haha, im looking at getting an after market 8 inch sub and puttin it in the parcel shelf and using an afetrmarket amp to power it, do they sound good? has anybody done it? i wanna save room in the boot.

yeah mine is a JBL 560WRMS 6 channel. runs everything in the car. 8 inch subs are crap full stop. always 12" minimum. and parcel shelf subs sound crap full stop as well

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

ohk looks like im not doin that, thanks for the input

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

danbode wrote:
ohk looks like im not doin that, thanks for the input
thats cool

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EB S-pac wrote:
danbode wrote:

yeah mine is a JBL 560WRMS 6 channel. runs everything in the car. 8 inch subs are crap full stop. always 12" minimum. and parcel shelf subs sound crap full stop as well

Wow there is some sweeping statements, 12's minimum..... 8's are crap but I suppose that JBL amps are REALLY good......

I think not!!!

8's can sound good if done properly, like most things they need to be done right, you certainly don't need 12's as a minimum it is up to personal taste, me I like 10's and I have had loads of different ones and have had some expensive 12's and they were absolutely hopeless!!!!!
The rear shelf can be a good idea, BUT you will need to stop the rattles. If you can stop the rattles it would be ok for a small system.

The key is to do it PROPERLY not because some teenager at Strathfield or JB says otherwise....

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
EB S-pac wrote:
danbode wrote:

Wow there is some sweeping statements, 12's minimum..... 8's are crap but I suppose that JBL amps are REALLY good......

I think not!!!

8's can sound good if done properly, like most things they need to be done right, you certainly don't need 12's as a minimum it is up to personal taste, me I like 10's and I have had loads of different ones and have had some expensive 12's and they were absolutely hopeless!!!!!
The rear shelf can be a good idea, BUT you will need to stop the rattles. If you can stop the rattles it would be ok for a small system.

The key is to do it PROPERLY not because some teenager at Strathfield or JB says otherwise....

whats wrong with JBL? huh?................
12" and 15" are the only way to go. obviously your buying crap if they were hopless. and you'd need like 3 10" to sound decent. and seeings as how the guy has a gas tank he'll have to use a shallow excursion sub which are also very crap

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I have a jbl amp, and its rubbish. Also i have a 10" sub in the falcon, and it pumps fine. I agree with outlaw, dumb teens at cheapass outlets aren't very good for advice.

My 2c.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next