Fire extinguishers 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fire extinguishers
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes...

I was just reading in the boot install thread about fire extinguishers winning you free points at audio competitions (not that that's why I'm after one) but it reminded me of a piece I saw on the news tonight. Three people got incinerated in a car and one of the victim's family members was saying how if a bystander had a fire extinguisher then they may have been able to stop the fire, etc etc.

Anyway regardless of that, I've been thinking for a while now that I should get one, especially now I've got a couple of amps in the boot (plus the LPG tank :shock: )

I was just wondering who here has a fire extinguisher, what type did you get (I know there are different ones for different types of fires), where did you get it from, and where have you put it (pics?)

I was thinking about mounting one somehow on one of my false walls next to my amp but not sure the best way to go about it.

Cheers
Jo

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

XR8Chic had hers under her feet on her XR. had a nice bracket made up too

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA MkII

WA, Australia

hey mate..

pop down to repco they have automotive ones theres for about $25 i tihnk.. come with mounting brackets aswell..

mullets are cool.... they promote the quintessential iconic figure of an australian
Fordmods Member #61

1. 95 Ford Falcon EFII
2. 98 Nissan Pathfinder Ti
3. 04 Ford Falcon BA MkII

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

Jo,

I have a fire extinguisher in my car, it is a refillable 1.0kg type BE. This is a dry chemical type and is recommended for auto purposes because it can be used on petrol and electrical fires. It will also cover normal wood/plastic/paper/carpet fires.

I bought it from autobarn for around $30 and being one of the good ones it came with a sturdy metal bracket to mount it. I have bolted it through the floor in the passenger footwell in front of the seat. It was fitted with the seat all the way forward to allow full travel, though when the seat is back it still sits neatly tucked away. I would recommend against mounting it in the driver's footwell in case it came loose and intefered with the pedals.

I remember reading somewhere that an extinguisher should be mounted in a location that the driver can reach quickly and easily - like the passenger footwell or trans-tunnel. I think there might also be some legal issues with mounting positions - check the vicroads or state equivalent website for more info.

For the price though, it would be a cheap and easy addition to a boot install, especially if it will give you extra points! However I don't think you can paint them like I think you can NOS tanks, so it might look out of place being red with a white stripe and big ugly instructions all over it!

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

Cheers guys for your advice :D

Nope I'm not after one for comps (don't enter them) just for safety reasons. Sadly we have no Autobarn in WA but I will try Repco and Supercheap and see what's around...

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

i just got one from work (Repco) and fitted it to the side of the sub box in the boot.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

those little units will only last for about 8 to 10 seconds anyway.. better than nothing I suppose but you really should go on a fire awareness course to learn how to use them properly!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Make sure that evry 3 months or so, pull it out of the bracket, give it a shake, cause the powder settles , so when you want to use it, nothing there. A 9kg be better, i got one.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghiaaaaa!

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
those little units will only last for about 8 to 10 seconds anyway.. better than nothing I suppose but you really should go on a fire awareness course to learn how to use them properly!!

Its pretty suprising what you can actually put out with the larger sized ones :o

I have mine mounted on the side of the boot, as its out of the way i guess. Better than not having one at all.

Whiteline'd

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Fairmont

SA, Australia

i've got a dry chem (think its like 1kg) mounted in the boot.

My grandfather used to always have one in the front passenger footwell of his cars. And i remember asking why my uncle always had a couple of full vb cans on the floor of his car, they were his fire extinguishers :idea:

If you ever have an accident (or you come across one) first thing to do is disconnect the battery. In case theres fuel leaking you dont want any wires sparking.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Yes these will earn you extra points in the CASSQ Sound quality) comps if you choose to exhibit as a show category car where points are awarded to installation design etc and safety/security features like car alarm etc...might even b in the other class (stealth) I have one of the 1Kg repco jobs...just to have something in case...all my batteries are boot mounted so be pretty stupid for me to have it mounted in the boot - so I have fitted it into the front passenger foot well area.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

Got one on the left side in the boot, came with a bracket and didn't cost much. Just a small dry chem. Used one when out camping once. Doesn't take up much room so worth having.

Attachments:
car boot full.JPG
car boot full.JPG [ 27.45 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you get one. get one where there is easy access to it...you never know, if there is a boot fire there is your chance of getting the fire extinguisher if is in the boot. I say leave it in the cabin under the seat...as XR8Chic has it. Cause if you are on fire at least you don't have to run to the boot and grab it as a driver.

Just my 2c

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got a 1kg dry chem type sitting in my back passenger footwell atm, i plan on mounting it to the front passenger footwell or the console, so it's easy to get.

BTW, incase anyone doesn't know, it's LAW for trucks to carry extinguishers, but you would be suprised how many don't. One night a few yrs ago now, i was driving back from a delivery, rather late at night, and seen a car on fire on the ring road. I stopped & made sure everyone was ok, called 000 as well, but i didn't have an extinguisher to put it out. By the time the MFB were there, car was totally destroyed. It could have been only minor if i had an extinguisher onboard.

I plan on buying an extinguisher for every car i have when i can afford to.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Yes these will earn you extra points in the CASSQ Sound quality) comps if you choose to exhibit as a show category car where points are awarded to installation design etc and safety/security features like car alarm etc...might even b in the other class (stealth) I have one of the 1Kg repco jobs...just to have something in case...all my batteries are boot mounted so be pretty stupid for me to have it mounted in the boot - so I have fitted it into the front passenger foot well area.

It's worth 5 points in ALL classes now.

I got one for racing, but it's 5 free points for the CAASQ comps too. So bonus for me. Mounted on the passenger side of the centre console. Quick and easy to get to.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next