Free to air subs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Free to air subs
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

What do people recommend free to air subs or enclosed? what good free air ones are around. I want one between the 60/40 split facing towards the driver
Cheers

1996 EL XR8, Dynamic White, 18inch Simmons Wheels, Lowered all round with pedders shocks and springs, Clear tail lights and clear side repeaters

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Enclosed subs usually sound better and are alot easier to set up properly. Free air subs need to be mounted on a baffle (sheet of timber) to separate the front of the speaker from the back and that have to be sealed up pretty well or you'll lose bass.

I've seen heaps of cheap nasty installs with free air subs mounted on a board facing forwards betwen the rear seats and it just sound pathetic compared to a properly sealed box sub.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As stone said. Enclosed subs have better quality sound over a free-air subs. I use free-air subs and haven't really completely sealed the baffle board...mainly cause i cbfed. But anyways when you do seperate the front of the speaker from the rear the bass can be excellent.

Free-air subs are usually good for SPL rather then SQ...if you want better sound quality go for the enclosed subs.

Only downside to enclosed subs is that they may take up more room then a free-air sub. If you want to see a free-air set up look at my gallery.

Once these subs die on me...I will go with enclosed subs since free-air subs are faded out and don't sound as great.

hope that added a bit of help on top of stone's comment.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]