Fordmods Logo

Getting good sound from an 8" Free Air Sub-Shelf mounted 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Getting good sound from an 8" Free Air Sub-Shelf mounted
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I have an 8" Free Air shallow Pioneer sub mounted on the parcel shelf of my EF. It is mounted on a wooden spacer ring, and the bolts I used have rubber washers on them to stop rattling too.
It still rattles like a b**ch though, and just sounds like crap,sounds very "forced".

-I'm thinking sound deadinng the shelf to add some weight should help. I may try some of that cheap jaycar stuff.
- Would it sound better with a normal parcel shelf? The premium one in there has cut outs in the material above the sub. I'm thinking some of the air is escaping, and this is important because the boot is meant to be the enclosure.
-The other issue is, it is being fed 300WRMS from a monoblock. It is rated at around 100/150 RMS Nominal power handling. I know a healthy amount of clean power is good, but I reckon that feeding it 300 RMS maybe whats making it sound like s**t. Opinions?

PS I know it will never sound incredible, but I'm keen to experiment with it.

Post subject: Re: Getting good sound from an 8" Free Air Sub-Shelf mounted
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:49 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Rubber under your boot light will help for 1.

SLO247 wrote:
-I'm thinking sound deadinng the shelf to add some weight should help. I may try some of that cheap jaycar stuff.

Messy messy work, I dont think that stuff has the tar applicator on it already, meaning you have to mix and put it on. Dyna-mat already has it on there, much easier. (Could be wrong)

SLO247 wrote:
- Would it sound better with a normal parcel shelf? The premium one in there has cut outs in the material above the sub. I'm thinking some of the air is escaping, and this is important because the boot is meant to be the enclosure.

Explain this better for me. are you talking about the front side of the sub and there is a grill there. Or what? Sorry. The dyna-mat sealed on the bottom will seal all the holes at the same time. The sub needs to be able to push air forward into the cabin though, so dont try and cover the face of the sub up.

SLO247 wrote:
-The other issue is, it is being fed 300WRMS from a monoblock. It is rated at around 100/150 RMS Nominal power handling. I know a healthy amount of clean power is good, but I reckon that feeding it 300 RMS maybe whats making it sound like s**t. Opinions?

If it is distorting then you are over powering the sub and you will blow it up. If your not cranking it too high it will be fine, just lower your gain and see if that makes a difference.

SLO247 wrote:
PS I know it will never sound incredible, but I'm keen to experiment with it.

Good middle solution if you dont have the boot space. if you do then.... just get a ten or twelve inch lol.

Few other ideas, What is the condition of your boot seals? and what about the gap between your seats, how large is it? try and sandwich some rubber (or a towel) and seal it off a bit. Same with your boot seals, place a towel over all of them at once, close the boot and try the sub then. You may be leaking air out of the boot too much.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I will play with the gain and see how I go.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

IMO you will never get good deap bass from a parcel shelf mounted sub.

Box all the way.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

I just want to get similar to the factory system. I have a 12" in a sealed box, and this is something I'd like to get working. Its nice having the extra boot space.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
I just want to get similar to the factory system. I have a 12" in a sealed box, and this is something I'd like to get working. Its nice having the extra boot space.

I know what you mean man, that's why i'm thinking about fitting a factory sub into my parcel shelf, so when i need to remove my boxed 12 from the boot, i still have some bass.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I'm just pulling this one out. Going to give it to my mate. Its not worth the stuffing around for me when I have a 12".

I have never heard the factory premium system. Any good?

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
I'm just pulling this one out. Going to give it to my mate. Its not worth the stuffing around for me when I have a 12".

I have never heard the factory premium system. Any good?

My premo sound was not bad, but the current system is a lot louder & crisper when up loud.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Free-air subs don't sound the best, but they can pump in the right set up, in saying that, 8" won't give you much bass, but it will be enough not to sound bland in the bass department.

If I get the money, I will be running an 8" from the parcel shelf rather than my current set up, which doesn't allow me the use of the gap between the boot and fold down seats. However 2 x 10" free-air subs create some good pressure :D.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]