Fordmods Logo

Good 6.5" coaxials for $100? Any ideas anyone? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Good 6.5" coaxials for $100? Any ideas anyone?
Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey guys... Just wondering what 6.5" coaxials people are running for around the $100 mark. These are for my rear parcel shelf. I just bought Soundstream XST6.5's for the front and I'm probably just gonna' grab another pair of them as they sounded sick unless anyone can recommend any other brands or models?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

some mates of mine got some JVCs for $40 the other week. sound sweet as. Much nicer than my kenwoods. and current kenwoods.

go to wow sight and sound, autobarn or supercheap and look for stuff on sale and see what sounds good.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Quote:
some mates of mine got some JVCs for $40 the other week. sound sweet as. Much nicer than my kenwoods. and current kenwoods.

go to wow sight and sound, autobarn or supercheap and look for stuff on sale and see what sounds good.

Kenwood isn't renowned for being a 'good' brand in speakers or any type of car audio for that matter. Head units, I believe are fine on a budget, but many would say otherwise. Why, I have no clue.

JVC I wouldn't really go for. I have some JVC speakers and although they do the job, they disappoint me. I say go with some Jensons. I had some Jenson 6.5" co-axials at the end of last year but got them replaced after they didn't fit in my car.

I had them hooked up once, they sounded quite good and definately make my current BOSS BA-64 6" look like a pair of sissies. They'll set you back at tops $70. Excellent on a budget system.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:33 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

I have had some reqally good experiences with the JBL coaxials and they are $130rrp.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Axl Turwalt wrote:
Kenwood isn't renowned for being a 'good' brand in speakers or any type of car audio for that matter. Head units, I believe are fine on a budget, but many would say otherwise. Why, I have no clue.

JVC I wouldn't really go for. I have some JVC speakers and although they do the job, they disappoint me. I say go with some Jensons. I had some Jenson 6.5" co-axials at the end of last year but got them replaced after they didn't fit in my car.

i found that out about the kenwoods the hard way. I bought them when i wasnt thinking objectively enough. Currently, just using them as rear fill as i have upgraded to alpine splits for the front.

with the JVC thing, cant really go wrong for $40 if you just want "not stock" speakers! :lol: which is what they both wanted.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Quote:
i found that out about the kenwoods the hard way. I bought them when i wasnt thinking objectively enough. Currently, just using them as rear fill as i have upgraded to alpine splits for the front.

with the JVC thing, cant really go wrong for $40 if you just want "not stock" speakers! which is what they both wanted.

Yeah thats a shame. A lot of people shun Kenwood on the whole, something I don't really understand. I have a Kenwood KDC-MP433 head unit and its been extremely reliable. It has a 50x4 MOS-FET Amplifier. RRP was $299, I got it for $181 :P But definately speakers, subs, not sure about amps - from Kenwood are a no go!

Your right about the JVCs. If your looking for SQ, forget the JVCs but they are much superior to stock speakers. Can't argue with that. And they are great for a budget system. I haven't actually heard any of the larger speakers but I could imagine they would be on par with my BOSS pair. And yeah, $40, I wouldn't be complaining either. lol

I got the JVC CS-V424 4" 2-way coaxials (150w Peak [30w RMS I believe]) and they suck although they hit pretty hard for 4"s. Not bad for 4"s as a replacement to stock speakers but I would never go JVC again. Just my opinion. For the rear I'm running a pair of BOSS BA-64 6" 4-way coaxials (200w Peak [40w RMS I think]). The BOSS speakers hit pretty hard for a cheap brand. I actually considered getting another set for the fronts, but then thought maybe spend a lil extra for some high end stuff. But all in all, my BOSS rumble quite well in the back - even off my Kenwood HU.

But definately, I would much rather go the Jensons over the BOSS any day. Jenson are renowned for good quality speakers at a low end price. IMO probably the best low-end brand you can get.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well I'm just about to swap my spare $80 sub for a pair of 6.5" JVC kevlar 2-ways. Anyone got these? I know the reports for JVC aren't too good but these are meant to be the best JVC have to offer as far as coaxials go...

It's a good swap money wise.... I just want to know if they're half decent speakers... They're only for the rear as I've got Soundstream 3-ways for the front...

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

axl, i have a kenwood sub, and it goes pretty good. havent had a big enough amp on it up till no to really test it, but that'll change very soon.

Will actually be using kenwood for the monoblock. Its a very good amp for the price, really good specs.

Sam, maybe go to a shop and listen to some. Best way to hear what they sound like! I still reckon JVC is fairly good. better than the cheapo s**t.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Already thought of that Nicco... sadly JVC speakers aren't overly popular in any stores nearby. Especially this particular model.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Quote:
axl, i have a kenwood sub, and it goes pretty good. havent had a big enough amp on it up till no to really test it, but that'll change very soon.

Will actually be using kenwood for the monoblock. Its a very good amp for the price, really good specs.

Well if they do the trick for you, then I have no argument. Maybe it was just the range I listened to that wasn't all that good or atleast not as good as I had anticipated.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]