Fordmods Logo

Good Speakers? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

No offence ARM79, but s**t. Most aftermarket headunits are flat pushing 25wrms, let alone something they stuck as a standard piece in a car. Even though it's an upgraded piece, it's still what, 8 - 9 years old? Back then there's no way a headunit would have been pushing 25wrms...

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

raabz wrote:
No offence ARM79, but s**t. Most aftermarket headunits are flat pushing 25wrms, let alone something they stuck as a standard piece in a car. Even though it's an upgraded piece, it's still what, 8 - 9 years old? Back then there's no way a headunit would have been pushing 25wrms...

How about you contact the manufacturers and ask them the specs... Since I have an EL ghia, I have done alot of research into these head units and know them pretty well...

Ford market tham as 250W... Which is 50W RMS per channel for the amp plus 25W RMS for the head unit totalling 250W... Wow easy...

I have opened the amps on these many a time. They use 2 Phillips amplifier IC chips, one per channel. The data sheet shows the chip is capable of 40W RMS output, but the amp has been designed to deliver 25W. Now, while it might not be the best or clearest 25W available, it still is 25W.

I also thought that it seemed a little high when I spoke to the manufacturer, but believed it when I found what I think it conclusive proof...

So before you do the "s**t, cant be" speach, can you tell me you have looked into these units that much and done the reasearch that allows you to come to your magnificent conclusion?

Even I could make an amp that will deliver 50W RMS from a single chip, but I can say it will sound f**k awful. Yes, I agree that aftermarket HU's push to make that power, but then they have most likely been properly designed, etc... As I said, it may be a s**t sounding/quality 25W, but it still is 25W.

I think people underestimate the time and thought put into these parts, even if they are stock. They are designed to be the best in the range, so they are something special. I'll bet that you didnt know that Alpine and Pioneer collaberated on the design of these units?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

Arm79 - and anyone else who wants to read.

I humbly appologise. I kinda feel like an a**hole. I did just jump to a conclusion that was unfounded.

What you said about the premo headunit is quite good. But as far as quality goes, you're right about anyone being able to make an amp.

Again sorry man,

Teaches me for not doing my research......

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

raabz wrote:
Arm79 - and anyone else who wants to read.

I humbly appologise. I kinda feel like an a**hole. I did just jump to a conclusion that was unfounded.

What you said about the premo headunit is quite good. But as far as quality goes, you're right about anyone being able to make an amp.

Again sorry man,

Teaches me for not doing my research......

Thats cool dude... No harm done...

I wouldn't post something like that unless I was 100% sure of it, cos it does sound unbelievable. As I didn't believe first off either, but in the end it was true...

But at least now you know for future. :D

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

How do you find the jbl's adrian?
Got a link n what you payed?
also what other speakers would you compare them to in quality wise..?

Thanks in advance.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I think they are pretty good... Ive been through the factory speakers, 2 sets of Clarions and now these for the fronts, and found them to be the best sounding....

By no means are they the be all and end all of speakers, I'm sure there are better ones out there. But for their depth, they are give pretty good bass I think, something I was missing with the others, and something I wanted and found hard to find.

These are the ones : http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO606C&ser=GTS&cat=COS

and I think I paid around the $170 mark for them. One of Strathfields big sales.

Feel free to do a test sounding next time your at a meet and see for yourself.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I think they are pretty good... Ive been through the factory speakers, 2 sets of Clarions and now these for the fronts, and found them to be the best sounding....

By no means are they the be all and end all of speakers, I'm sure there are better ones out there. But for their depth, they are give pretty good bass I think, something I was missing with the others, and something I wanted and found hard to find.

These are the ones : http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO606C&ser=GTS&cat=COS

and I think I paid around the $170 mark for them. One of Strathfields big sales.

What in the heck happened to the past 3 sets of speakers? :lol:
The price sounds awesome, i think ill have to pop down the road tomorrow n have a listen or next meet or at your place.. And did you have to do any modification to get them to screw into the door?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

Speaking of good / not good speakers...

Does anyone know of Pheonix Gold or Diamond Audio? They seem reasonably priced, around the Alpine S type component price, and an opportunity has come up to buy a pair from the US....

Any ideas?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Thanks in advance.

What in the heck happened to the past 3 sets of speakers? :lol:
The price sounds awesome, i think ill have to pop down the road tomorrow n have a listen or next meet or at your place.. And did you have to do any modification to get them to screw into the door?

Well.. The originals started to suck... First set of clarions I blew one of the tweeters... Second set I just decided I wasnt happy anymore (plus I just refinanced my house loan and borrow more, so I had cash to burn), so I tried the JBL's. Andrew was said he was impressed with them as well when he had my car for a day, so there is one vote of praise.

Fitting into the door was the main reason I picked them. Straight in, perfect fit, just had to drill 4 new holes, as the mount points are slightly further out than the factory holes... but then the factory speakers only have 3 holes.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6 Falcon

VIC, Australia

I run JL audio, and they are the best of the best when it comes to speakers.

I have tried Cadence and they are good value for what you pay for, but you really cant go wrong with a JL Audio set up ask any prof's

Jesus Drove Fords

Proud Owner of a XR6 MkII

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

alpine make a range of speakers that are desined to run of head unit power I think their called "E types" might be worth having a listen to.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

phoenix gold, FOCAL polykevlars... mmm all good

personally if ur going to buy speakers, buy the BEST you can afford, if u cant afford the best, save. speakers never go out of date. so buy the best u can. focal splits are the best sounding for me, the polykevlars are great

as for the head unit, pull it out and try it on other systems.

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

wow i thaught the the premium system would push out more then 25w per channel, so its probly not worth changing the speakers. the only way to make it better is as ARM 79 recons add pre outs and a Amp and then a new set of front speakers.

But on the other hand if i'm gona spend a bit of money on it i'd rather spend it on a Decent head unit some thing like a Alpine CDA-9811 or 8913 and a set of DD Linear Coaxial speakers, rather then spend it on a 9 yaer old head deck.

i thaught that Pioneer was only in the lower units not the premo units in ef's. From what i was told by the a guy that knows the person that designed the system is that FMS audio (Figitsu Mitsubishi and Samsung) make the premo units using alpine technology. ???

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

voids wrote:
wow i thaught the the premium system would push out more then 25w per channel, so its probly not worth changing the speakers. the only way to make it better is as ARM 79 recons add pre outs and a Amp and then a new set of front speakers.

But on the other hand if i'm gona spend a bit of money on it i'd rather spend it on a Decent head unit some thing like a Alpine CDA-9811 or 8913 and a set of DD Linear Coaxial speakers, rather then spend it on a 9 yaer old head deck.

i thaught that Pioneer was only in the lower units not the premo units in ef's. From what i was told by the a guy that knows the person that designed the system is that FMS audio (Figitsu Mitsubishi and Samsung) make the premo units using alpine technology. ???

25W RMS is pretty good for a any head unit, let alone a stock head unit. But then, as you want to put some decent speakers on there, it's just not enough.

As for FMS, its actually Ford - Mazda - Sanyo ie, FMS Audio. It was put together by Ford to farm out design of head units to Pioneer and Alpine, to be built by Sanyo with Sanyo components and supplied to Ford and Mazda around the world. From what I have read, FMS is a bloody big supplier of car audio gear around the world.

FMS is no longer run by Ford and Mazda, but was fully bought out by Sanyo some time ago.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

[quote="arm79"]As for FMS, its actually Ford - Mazda - Sanyo ie, FMS Audio. It was put together by Ford to farm out design of head units to Pioneer and Alpine, to be built by Sanyo with Sanyo components and supplied to Ford and Mazda around the world. From what I have read, FMS is a bloody big supplier of car audio gear around the world.quote]

the bloke that i was talkin to must have been spinnin me some s**t then.

so in my case its probly best just leaving my speakers in there if im not gonna chang my headunit or add an amp. or just buy a new head unit and speakers.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next