Fordmods Logo

have i blown my amp??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: have i blown my amp???
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

was driving home the other night with the stereo up full and then all of a sudden all four speakers stopped working but the subs, which are running off a seperate amp are still going fine. there was no crackling through the speakers or bang or smoke or anything, they just stopped. the amp still has power as the light turns on, the remote, and rca's seem to be fine as the other amp is also running off them and that is fine. i dont know what is wrong. the fuses arnt blown or anything. is my amp rooted???????? would like to know as it is very annoying driving round with no tunes :(

Post subject: Re: have i blown my amp???
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon AUII

QLD, Australia

Just drive around with the subs blasting...

....what goes here?

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

AUII.Denim wrote:
Just drive around with the subs blasting...

no can do, sounds like iv got 5 people in the boot trying to kick their way out to freedom

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Mate,

Not sure if youve blown the amp or not but heres a few things you can try to see if it is blown.

I would grab the RCA's for the Front and Rear speakers and try plugging them into the amp for the subs and see if the subs kick with the front and rear RCA's plugged into it. If they do then the AMP is at fault, if they dont the RCA's might be unplugged, damaged or come loose from the board inside the deck. Sometimes the RCA's can come loose inside the deck and theres nothing you can do, happened to me once.

Also, you can try pluggin in the RCA's for the sub into your amp thats running the speakers and see if any sound comes through?

Let us know how ya go.
Good Luck,

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:17 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Fairmont_03_5.4 wrote:
Hey Mate,

Not sure if youve blown the amp or not but heres a few things you can try to see if it is blown.

I would grab the RCA's for the Front and Rear speakers and try plugging them into the amp for the subs and see if the subs kick with the front and rear RCA's plugged into it. If they do then the AMP is at fault, if they dont the RCA's might be unplugged, damaged or come loose from the board inside the deck. Sometimes the RCA's can come loose inside the deck and theres nothing you can do, happened to me once.

Also, you can try pluggin in the RCA's for the sub into your amp thats running the speakers and see if any sound comes through?

Let us know how ya go.
Good Luck,

the rca's for the sub amp are coming from the output of the speaker amp so id assume that they are still all fine. would i be wrong in that assumption?

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

In that case it could also be the output rca points on the speaker amp as well.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

One Drone wrote:

but the sub amp is getting the right input and playing the songs like normal, so the output from the speaker amp would have to be still working fine

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

duderat wrote:
One Drone wrote:

but the sub amp is getting the right input and playing the songs like normal, so the output from the speaker amp would have to be still working fine

As said before...unplug the RCAs from your sub amp and plug it into the speaker amp...if the speaker amps are still stuffed, then amp is probably stuffed.

If your speaker amp is still receiving power with the power light on, then your amp may be stuffed internally.

However replace the fuses on the amp and see what happens, they may not seem broken, but they may burnt out.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:46 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
duderat wrote:
One Drone wrote:

As said before...unplug the RCAs from your sub amp and plug it into the speaker amp...if the speaker amps are still stuffed, then amp is probably stuffed.

If your speaker amp is still receiving power with the power light on, then your amp may be stuffed internally.

However replace the fuses on the amp and see what happens, they may not seem broken, but they may burnt out.

ok then il try that and see how i go

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

duderat wrote:
the rca's for the sub amp are coming from the output of the speaker amp so id assume that they are still all fine. would i be wrong in that assumption?

Hey Mate, Yeah i see what ya mean. Youve got RCA's running from the speaker amp to the sub amp. Your assumption seems right too, if the subs are running from rcas connected to the speaker amp and are still going then it seems likely the RCA's are all ok, but i would try it anyway for s**t and giggles.

As said before by "phongus" though, try changing all your fuses regardless of how they look as he said they can sometimes burnout but not look like they are busted.

Other than that you can't really do much aye, may i ask what brand the AMP is? and how old is it?

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:28 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Fairmont_03_5.4 wrote:
duderat wrote:

Hey Mate, Yeah i see what ya mean. Youve got RCA's running from the speaker amp to the sub amp. Your assumption seems right too, if the subs are running from rcas connected to the speaker amp and are still going then it seems likely the RCA's are all ok, but i would try it anyway for s**t and giggles.

As said before by "phongus" though, try changing all your fuses regardless of how they look as he said they can sometimes burnout but not look like they are busted.

Other than that you can't really do much aye, may i ask what brand the AMP is? and how old is it?

yeh thats it, thats why its got me in such a f**k haha. its a pioneer 4 channel, just a basic 60rms one. it is 2 years old. i will replace the two 25 amp fuses on the amp tomorow morning and let you all know how it goes :)

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

get a new amp

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

It's most likely to be the fuse(s) in the amp are blown.
It could also be:
The remote wire has come off the amp - not likely since you said it's fully lit.
The amp is blown.

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

have you checked that none of the speakers are shortingm my car did the same thing and the terminals were slightly touchin the doorframe so i was gettin around with only bass its really annoying

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]