Help me work out what to do with my audio system 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Help me work out what to do with my audio system
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I don't have huge amounts of audio gear, but I've got about 22 random speakers, and 3 or so amps, I'm mostly interested in sound quality, but I also want a bit of punch. I am willing to spend a SMALL amount of money (maybe on a sub box or another amp) but not too much. I don't want a great big doof doof system though. I'll list the speakers and amps I've got and I'll put a few pics and specs of some of the stuff. Just after some ideas on what I can do.

Subwoofers/woofers:

1x 12" Sony xplod 1000W Peak, in a proper fitted sony box
1x 12" Pioneer sub, TS-W302R, 300W MAX, 150W Nom, 4ohm, this sub sent my amp into protection mode, I don't have a box for it.
1x 10" Orion 400W C10D4 sub, this is pretty heavy and has a decent sized magnet on it
1x 10" Alpine VR sub, 100W RMS, 200W MAX, 4ohm
1x 10" sub, came out of a TEAC powered home theatre sub, 50W (doesn't say weather it's peak or RMS) 4ohm
1x 10" Sub, came out of an AUDIOLINE powered home theatre sub, doesnt say any specs but I reckon it's pretty similar to the TEAC one above
1x 12" "ROCKWOOD USA" Woofer speaker, i don't think it's a sub, I just think it's a woofer, doesn't have any specs listed on it
2x SEAS 10" Woofers, these are NOT Subs, just woofers, but they are swiss made, and they are very good quality, they are 8ohm, 60W RMS

6x9's:
2x Kenwood KFC6908's 4ohms, 220W peak
2x Pioneer TS-A6970E's, 330W Max, 80W nom, 4ohm

Normal Speakers
2x Kenwood KFC-1660S 3 ways, 4ohm, 170W peak, 35W rated power
2x Boston Acoustic S60 Splits - but the only thing is, I don't have the tweeters, and 1 of the crossovers doesn't work, but they are 4 ohm, 55W RMS, 150W Peak
2x Ford speakers (these are weird speakers, they say Ford on them, but they are like nothing I have ever seen before, they say 25W 4 ohm and they only have a paper cone though so they are probably rubbish (they are normal 6" size by the way, but they aren't EL speakers)
1x Sony xplod XS-HL635 2 way, 180W peak, 45W rated, 4ohm
2x DALI Home theatre woofers, 5" diameter, 8ohm, "recomended amplifier power of 20-50W"
1 crappy little sony 4" that's not even a car speaker and has no specs, will probably just bin it

Amplifiers
2x Ford premo sound amps
1x ALPINE V Power 4 channel amp, MRP-F250 (I think this is a pretty decent amp?)
1x Audioline ALN41200, 1200W, 4 channel amp, 4x 300W (This is what I was using to run my xplod sub)
1x BOSS BA-6000 4 channel amp, 1400W, 350Wx4, this didn't want to power up when we first tested it, but we were only using thin wire, so that may have been the issue.

NOTES

I have no intention of running all these speakers together, just enough to make a good sound, I am far more interested in sound quality than loud noise, and I'd prefer not to loose my entire boot or cut into my car too much, might be prepared to cut into it a little though depending.

The system I was running was the Kenwood KFC-1660S 3 ways in the front, with the standard EL speakers in the rear parcel shelf, my sony xplod sub, and my audioline ALN41200 amp.
I *think* it would be wise to use the Alpine amp, and the Boston speakers, and the orion sub, but I'm not too sure, perhaps the alpine sub would be a better choice?

I know not all of this stuff is car audio gear, but at the end of the day, a speaker is a speaker and I don't see why I can't use home theatre stuff in a car.

The 2x SEAS woofers are of excellent quality, and I'd be keen on perhaps using one of them, I think 1 is damaged too much though.

I don't mind buying a little bit more but I think I have a total budget of about $200 to do it, including a wiring kit

Can I do anything decent with any of this stuff? Running a Pioneer h/u with 2x RCA preouts and aux input.

Sorry for the long post, I did attatch a pic of all the stuff together though, individual pics will be posted later.

Gab

Attachments:
2013-11-07 17.30.47 (Medium).jpg
2013-11-07 17.30.47 (Medium).jpg [ 73.1 KiB | Viewed 331 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help me work out what to do with my audio system
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

hey some food for thought on your speaker project,jaycar has some books on learning about speaker theory and working out air volume that speakers need to work in,you might be able to use the space in your boot etc for the most efficient sound reproduction,hope that helps

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

El-ghia01 wrote:
hey some food for thought on your speaker project,jaycar has some books on learning about speaker theory and working out air volume that speakers need to work in,you might be able to use the space in your boot etc for the most efficient sound reproduction,hope that helps

Thanks man, I'll check some of them out for sure.

Gab

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

Kenwoods in the front
boston's without crossovers or tweeters in the back unless you use 6x9 then Kenwood as pioneers have a tinny quality to them.

Alpine amp running speakers
Audioline running sub id run the pioneer in the Sony box. It's a much better sub and I highly doubt it sent your sub into protection mode as you can reverse polarity on subs. I'd be looking at the amp wiring / rfs / deck first in that regard. Also amp tuning should never be about 75% total gain.

The 10 inch sub I would only use if listening to really fast paced music (thrash metal) and I'd use 2.

Throw the seas woofers away or use in home theater 8ohm is too much in a car stereo and they would sound s**t

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]