High Series Instrument Cluster Upgrade: Door Sensors 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: High Series Instrument Cluster Upgrade: Door Sensors
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Hi crew,

I'm either having a very blonde day, or i just can't seem to grasp the instructions in the documentation for installing the door status sensors for a high series instrument cluster for an EL Falcon/Fairmont.

As i see it, there is only five wires on the cluster plug to accommodate the 'door ajar' and fuel door sensors, but each sensor has two wires. Does one wire from each sensor simply earth to the cassis? Or does the second wire from the sensor have to be run to the cluster too?

This is the door sensor plug wiring description for an EL/NL Fairlane:

Pin 1: No Connection
Pin 2: No Connection
Pin 3: Door Switch Front Left (Passenger) Resistance White / Red
Pin 4: Door Switch Front Right (Driver) Resistance White
Pin 5: Door Switch Rear Left (Passenger Side) Resistance Black / Red
Pin 6: Door Switch Rear Right (Drivers Side) Resistance Black / Green
Pin 7: Fuel Flap Switch Resistance Dark Blue / Black
Pin 8: Boot Lid Switch Ground White
Pin 9: Check Suspension Ground Dark Green
Pin 10:No Connection
Pin 11: No Connection
Pin 12: No Connection

This is the conversion documentation: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=14

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Only one wire of each sensor needs to go back to the dash, the other goes to earth.
The front doors can be earthed through the door actuator earth line inside the door.
The rears will need to be earthed to the main body harness running the length of the car - there's a few earth lines amongst it.
Fuel flap can be earthed anywhere suitable.

Wiring up the bulb out as well ???

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Very cool! Thank's for that.

I was reading through the documentation, but it says there are a few hiccups in implementing the 'bulb out' feature. Have you sussed it yet?

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:36 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
Very cool! Thank's for that.

I was reading through the documentation, but it says there are a few hiccups in implementing the 'bulb out' feature. Have you sussed it yet?
NP.
Yeah I have, it's pretty easy, there is a work around for the trailer plug, and I did notice the bulb out gets a bit confused when the mod discussed in the doco's "Adding extra brake lighting" has been added.

I might have to put together a write up in tech docs forum to cover what the main doco doesn't cover.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Okay, i don't have a trailer plug and never intend having one. Does that make things easier?

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Much easier.
The lines to the brake and rear parkers just need to be cut and the lines from the bulb out plug connected up to the respective lines.
The factory setup doesn't monitor the number plate lights, but the above setup can be run without any probs.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Whoops! Sorry Snap, i didn't see that you had replied to my posts. I have since installed the whole network of wires, door sensors and cluster and all is working 100% WOOHOO! And it looks so purdy at night! The EPROM changeover went more smoothly than i thought too, which was a bonus. I've never stressed so much in my life hahaha! :D

The conversion is easier than people make it out to be, don't be scared of a few wires just get in there and DO IT haha! The only problem is, that it takes time. I did my conversion a few hours at a time after work and still had to be able to drive my car, which was difficult sometimes.

I may, one day, down the line, install the 'bulb out' feature, but at the time, i was rushed and i had to get everything as complete as possible. Another thing i was going to look into was the 'foglamp' warning, but i have heard people have had trouble with making this cooperate......

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]