Fordmods Logo

Hooking 12V up to a trigger wire on an amp? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Hooking 12V up to a trigger wire on an amp?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Quick question... I want to hook up one of my amps to turn on when the boot is opened.

Could I simply hook the 12V feed for my boot light up to the trigger input on the amp?

Post subject: Re: Hooking 12V up to a trigger wire on an amp?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the remote turn ons don't pull much so it would probably work no worries, part of me says a relay would be the 'proper' way to do it though.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

But I'd still need a constant feed to the relay even if I used the boot lid light as the signal.

i.e. I'd either need to use a constant 12V feed OR the trigger wire off of the head deck as the constant feed to the relay. Seemings I'm already running two amps off of the same trigger wire from the head deck I doubt I could run a third successfully. So I'd need some way of boosting the signal from the head deck.

Make sense?

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Technically, you can pull the 12v straight from the light. I would suggest running it at least through a 1A fuse - just to be safe.
How long would you have your boot open? I am not too sure if the EF's have it, but if I leave a light on for an hour on the EL, the BEM will kill the power to ALL the lights in the car, until all the doors are closed and all lights are switched off (my flick lights under the sun visor have triggered this power save feature as well).

If you plan to have the boot open for an extended period of time, I would suggest running a trigger off the boot light switch (which is part of the lock mechanism) so that you would have the signal before it hits the BEM, thus avoiding any power save features.

To answer your other question about boosting the signal from the head deck, If you are running more than 1 amp off a head unit, you should be running the remote wires off a relay (just to be safe). You would use the remote wire from the HU to jump the realy, and the easiest place to pull power from would be your distribution block that is providing permanent power to the amps.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
But I'd still need a constant feed to the relay even if I used the boot lid light as the signal.

i.e. I'd either need to use a constant 12V feed OR the trigger wire off of the head deck as the constant feed to the relay. Seemings I'm already running two amps off of the same trigger wire from the head deck I doubt I could run a third successfully. So I'd need some way of boosting the signal from the head deck.

Make sense?

have you checked?
You should be able to get more then 3 off the headunit without worries.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You can piggyback a trigger off as many amps as you'd like, they need SFA current to turn the amps on.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
You can piggyback a trigger off as many amps as you'd like, they need SFA current to turn the amps on.

I know that each amp needs SFA to turn on, but there may be a limit to what the HU can handle. My headunit can only handle a maximum of 300mA through the remote wire. I am not sure how many amps this would be, but I know that my head unit is a high end, made to run many amps.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

Not true. Tried triggering two amps off of a Fusion head deck in my brothers boat and as soon as you connected the second amp both turned off.

Three should still be ok with my head deck but yeh. This would just be an easier, cruder way of doing it.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:46 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: Ford Ed

SA, Australia

I had 3 amps running on mine! U can also you the Elec. Antenna cable as well if you need to..

Adelaide E Series

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

Ford-sxr6 wrote:
I had 3 amps running on mine! U can also you the Elec. Antenna cable as well if you need to..

On a lot of decks this will be a problem when you play a cd or ipod, as it will cut the power to the aerial if you aren't listening to the radio. I know alpines do this. Not sure about other brands

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

the remote wire on my brothers gunmetal ef is hooked up to the +12v on the ciggy lighter.

been fine for 2 years now

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cheers. That's what I really wanted to hear.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:00 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: Ford Ed

SA, Australia

pugsley wrote:
Ford-sxr6 wrote:

On a lot of decks this will be a problem when you play a cd or ipod, as it will cut the power to the aerial if you aren't listening to the radio. I know alpines do this. Not sure about other brands

Ahh!! yess forgot bout that! my bad....

Adelaide E Series

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Quick question... I want to hook up one of my amps to turn on when the boot is opened.

Could I simply hook the 12V feed for my boot light up to the trigger input on the amp?

No...... I don't think so.

Ever noticed how, even with the key out of the ignition, your boot light still comes on when you open the boot?? It's a constant 12v on the battery side of the boot plunger switch. Unless you really like push starting your car or using jumper leads every morning, I would avoid it. To achieve trigger only when the boot is open, use the other side of the circuit.

Anyway, this thread is confusing. Why are you trying to get your amp turned on when the boot is open? Does it have pretty lights or something?

And then everyone is telling you just to use the normal trigger which has nothing to do with the boot opening anyway which was part of the OP's question?? :?

If you need an ignition source 12v and if your head unit (what's with this head deck BS term you blokes all use these days :lol:) can't handle running three amps off it's trigger (which is not uncommon, I've had this problem on two high end HU's I've owned triggering three amps), use the trigger as the signal for a relay and run a new dedicated trigger from your amp power cable.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks for that mate... Just a little foggy by what you meant here...

Quote:
It's a constant 12v on the battery side of the boot plunger switch............To achieve trigger only when the boot is open, use the other side of the circuit.

If I were to do it this way, I'd be tapping directly into my boot light wires. Aren't they only 12V when the boot is open? Or is it one of those setups where the boot switch opens the earth/negative side of the circuit rather than the positive side?

Or did you mean that on the battery side of the boot switch it's constant 12V but on the light side of the boot switch it's 12V only when the boot is open?

Quote:
Anyway, this thread is confusing. Why are you trying to get your amp turned on when the boot is open? Does it have pretty lights or something?

I've got some 6x9's in my boot currently running of my 4ch amp. I just picked up a very cheap and very pretty little soundstream 2ch amp that lights up blue to match the rest of my pretty boot. I was wanting to wire it up so it only switched on when the boot was open so I wasn't constantly playing music to the cars behind...

I haven't actually tried hooking this amp up with the 4ch and mono amps I've already got so I'm not sure if it'll work. I'm using the top end (from about 2 years back) JVC double din DVD head UNIT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next