Fordmods Logo

How do I isolate my system and run it off a powerpoint? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How do I isolate my system and run it off a powerpoint?
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I really want to be able to park my car and have the stereo up for a while without it draining the battery and I think the best way is to make it so that I can plug in a extension cord or something into the system and run it from that but have no idea if its possible or how to do it.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i'm glad im not ur neighbour!

you'd need a pretty hefty power supply, you could always try plugging up a decent regulated charger (so theres no AC noise)

or purchase a ghetto blaster and grow a bad-a** fro!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I mainly want it for BBQs and stuff because really my car stereo s**t all over 90% of home ent gear.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
I mainly want it for BBQs and stuff because really my car stereo s**t all over 90% of home ent gear.

hehe o....k dude but anyways....proper power suuplies that run 12v to 240v to run a decent system wil cost a fair whack mate....be better to invest in a couple good deep cycle batteries with large like 120amp hour reserve capacity....lookin at round 300+ each...

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you mean like a couple of optima yellow tops?

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
you mean like a couple of optima yellow tops?

Yep D34's are popular...along with exides and oddyssey....go for large reserve capacity batteries....depends tho on the current draw your system currently pulls with the car off/idling and how long u intend to run this system for....if u also still retained a starter battery etc on an isolated or switched circuit cause im sure after the bbq youd like to be able to start the car again without assistance :P....speaking off for jumping and charging dont get batteries any larger than 120 amp hr reserver capacity as alot off boosters/chargers arent designed to work properly with them....

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sorry forgot to mention the reason for batteries and not power supply is if a 240V source isnt available it will give u decent play time...as a standard llead acid batt will give an alright system bout 4hrs before it goes flat...sometimes more but yeh if ya pretty well crankin it....

however in saying all that if this is always for BBQs at home or friends where 240 is readily available then 240v to 12v power supplies can be had form as little as round the $300 mark but really decent more competition use ones will see u almost to 2.5K just depends on the load and what u need.

Jaycar im sure would do one on the cheap side....have no idea how effective tho.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

I normally just hook the battery charger straight up to mine if 240 volt power is available. Just hook it straight to the battery. Gotta have a real good charger though........... :lol: :twisted:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

xhute0 wrote:
I normally just hook the battery charger straight up to mine if 240 volt power is available. Just hook it straight to the battery. Gotta have a real good charger though........... :lol: :twisted:

yeh not all batteries like that thjo ... same with chargers being connected for long periods of time...some get unhappy.. :P

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

i rkn just run dual batts :P if its good enuff for 4wd's then its good enuff for ur sterio :P all u need is a redarc isolator :D and the other optima of course :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

cooki_monsta wrote:
i rkn just run dual batts :P if its good enuff for 4wd's then its good enuff for ur sterio :P all u need is a redarc isolator :D and the other optima of course :D

yeh redarc or car audio brands such as stinger do a nice 250amp solenoid/isolator which u can just back off a switch like I do to isolate the main starter power feed.

Dual batts or more will be all u need but just depends on the load youre gonna run on it...how hardu plan to run it....for how long and whether this circuit will still be required to start ya car off when ya done :)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Jaycar sell a 40Amp DC power supply, that'll do 13.8V (it's variable). It's not overly expensive, but not something you'd buy for a one off.

40Amp continuously, it'll run most systems (unless you're an SPL competitor) just fine, especially if buffered with a battery for any large bass hits.

I've done this before, and it's commonly seen at summernats. I'd assume autosalon entrants would have a similar setup.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Wouldnt it be easier to get a decent home ent system??
I paid $400 for the stereo in my bedroom. 680WRMS (7,500 PMPO), 3 DVD mini system.
I know that the cars s**t all over this, but it would be a lot easier than going through all the expencse and the hassle that you are intending to go through.
Just a thought :wink:

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Just buy a hi amp battery charger. Its unlikely that the system will be drawing a constant 20-30 amps for a BBQ!
You could buy an optima battery and run a secondary system or have a battery charger that can keep the existing battery topped up for those BBQ's and can be used on other cars with flat batteries. Personally i would spend the $200-$300 on a battery charger over a single battery that will last around 5 years anyways.

http://www.batteriesplus.com.au/pl/274/ ... -chargers/

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

im still stickin with my dual batt idea :P cos then ur car can still be playin music and can be completly wire free :D ie park barbies :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next