Fordmods Logo

I Can't find a straight answer!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: I Can't find a straight answer!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

im a newbie to fordmods great website anyone know where i can get fordmods stickers! bit off topic but anyway ive got a 1994 ef fairmont ghia (will get some pics up but stock as a rock!) and now to my question i have premium sound system and i want to know! CAN I PUT AN AFTERMARKET AMP AND USE THE ORIGANAL WIRING (exept for the power and ground i think they need to be re run in a thicker wire) i have an 500W 4 channel amp sitting there and i want to do as little as possible to get it to work i am running a BLAUPUNKT sub (watts ???) of the origanal amp need more ompfff though.

sorry for so much writing hope i didnt bore you's pls a responce would be nice.thanks for your time in advance.

Last edited by Falcon_92_EB on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I Can't find a straight answer!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

pm a moderator or cruise mod near u they may be able to get them, think theres a list on the home page

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU3

NSW, Australia

lukas_bartko wrote:
im a newbie to fordmods great website anyone know where i can get fordmods stickers! bit off topic but anyway ive got a 1994 ef fairmont ghia (will get some pics up but stock as a rock!) and now to my question i have premium sound system and i want to know! CAN I PUT AN AFTERMARKET AMP AND USE THE ORIGANAL WIRING (exept for the power and ground i think they need to be re run in a thicker wire) i have an 500W 4 channel amp sitting there and i want to do as little as possible to get it to work i am running a BLAUPUNKT sub (watts ???) of the origanal amp need more ompfff though.

sorry for so much writing hope i didnt bore you's pls a responce would be nice.thanks for your time in advance.

-Lukas

I cant see why you couldnt do it using the factory RCAs etc,correct me if im wrong.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dylanfh wrote:
lukas_bartko wrote:

-Lukas

I cant see why you couldnt do it using the factory RCAs etc,correct me if im wrong.

will the power wire and earth be suffitent and what about power draw? or is it not a big enough amp to worry about such things?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I would suggest running separate power and earth cables. However remote signal wire and RCAs can be reused I guess. I haven't seen a premium sound system set up so I am not sure if there are RCAs. Just in case there aren't already male RCAs, you can get a wire-to-RCA converter or wire the wires into a male RCA plug yourself...bit of soldering and should be set.

Personally I'd run everything with new cabling, but that's without a budget.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks Phong i will give it a try next weekend yeah they are male rca's and all the other wires r there like remote, rca's, and the premium sound has a four channel so hopefully shouldnt be too hard

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

lukas_bartko wrote:
Thanks Phong i will give it a try next weekend yeah they are male rca's and all the other wires r there like remote, rca's, and the premium sound has a four channel so hopefully shouldnt be too hard

Yeah then just run separate power and earth. Put a fuse with power cable and you should be set.

Try and run the power cable away from the RCA cables. This will help eliminate interference when you have the car running due to the alternator. Also make sure you have a good earth contact, such as sanding back a painted area under the parcel shelf and using a nut/bolt and a ring lug to secure it. The shorter the earth cable, the better.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: I Cawn't find a straight answer!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:44 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

phongus wrote:

Yea its not expensive to get a cable set, especially since your getting new power and earth cables. to get a set of RCA's in a kit is not going to be much more expensive...

Post subject: Re: I Cawn't find a straight answer!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jrloz wrote:
phongus wrote:

Yea its not expensive to get a cable set, especially since your getting new power and earth cables. to get a set of RCA's in a kit is not going to be much more expensive...

yeaaaahhhh but its the factory head unit and the wiring from the amp goes into a 8 pin plug at the head unit

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:06 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

.... Why are you changing the amp but not the headunit?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

jrloz wrote:
.... Why are you changing the amp but not the headunit?

1. money issues 2. i dont know what to do to install a new one and again cant afford it to be done by a professional 3. i wanna leave the stock head unit so it dosent attract theives

Last edited by Falcon_92_EB on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

The stock amp setup doesn't have RCA cables like you might expect.
Well... the cable is there but without the RCA plug - it's hard wired in. You're going to need a wiring diagram or some skills in testing to work out which wire is which as none of them are going to be labelled. (Do a search around the forum - a digram can most likely be found)
If you can work it out, then joining an RCA to the end of the existing cable will be fine.

New power cable and earth is a given.

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

It's not worth the effort. If you're going to run power cable, you may as well run the remote wire down that side and rca's down the other side. That, and if you buy a 4 channel amp wiring kit ($60 at supercheap) you get everything anyway. My brothers car had premo sound; I took it all out and probably can sell it complete with cables and everything.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]