Ideas for system upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Ideas for system upgrade
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hi all, im currently in the process of upgrading the whole system in my XR and i have been looking at a few different options. But i just need some feedback and mabe some different suggestions on what i should do.

Okay this is the system now- Alpine HU 2002 model (old but good) which powers both the front and back speakers, front speakers are STOCK. They barely keep up with the music i listen too, luckily the rear speakers and sub over power them alot :roll:

The rear speakers are Alpine Type S 6' coaxials. (very happy with these) however i might need to buy another set as one of the speakers has a tiny scratch on the outerpart of the speaker (i know the name of it but just cant remember it this mornin) so yeah bit of damage on one of them.

Sub i have the latest Alpine DVC 12' Type S which is 390wrms, which sits in a custom made sealed box. The sub is being powered by a 2 channel Axis Audio amp which is only 200wrms.

Now i have been looking at a few different things i can do to make the system better here are my three thoughts on what i could do so yeah please comment and help me with my ideas-

1- Upgrade the HU something that can play MP3's and has more than one pre out and atleast a power rating of 200watt if not more (not that it matters really. Then run the front and back speakers off of that, and leave the rest as it is.

2- Amp upgrade, their is this nice little amp that i have my eye on its a Soundstream 5 channel amp being 1300watt max. All i know that its 4x 200watt + 1x500watt for sub. Now this would replace my Axis amp, as i only have one preout. Would this greatly improve my whole system? mainly concerened about midbass up front thou.

3- New front speakers, yeah this is prolly the cheapest of the bunch but what if i buy a new split syetm for the front of the car to improve the midbass. it would have to be a 2 way system as i want to keep the stock look and put the speakers/tweaters in thier stock positions. Looking at either Alpine or JL audio or mabe even jaycar? for my choices.

So what do you think? ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post lol. Atleast the layout is neat :)

Thanks

Andrew

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

What kind of budget do you have?

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well $500 would most likely be my budget, as that is sufficient $$$ to spend on either of my options :)

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

Why not use the 2 channel axis for your front stage, buy a high powered 2 channel for the Sub. Even with 1 pair RCA's you could still use the speaker input into the front amp, if the amp allows. Otherwise use a Line-level converter to get the extra pair of rca's. Use the stock RCA's to signal to the sub amp.

Then you'll have a really good front stage, without wasting the amp you already have. Your rear music will come off the headunit and you will have heaps more bass than before.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

raabz wrote:
Why not use the 2 channel axis for your front stage, buy a high powered 2 channel for the Sub. Even with 1 pair RCA's you could still use the speaker input into the front amp, if the amp allows. Otherwise use a Line-level converter to get the extra pair of rca's. Use the stock RCA's to signal to the sub amp.

How does that work thou? Having two amps and a HU that only allows i set of RCA's to be pluged in..? (still learning here).

It would be a good idea thats for sure, but buying a single 5 channel amp could do that as well :) given i can get a decent quality one that has atleast 200wrms+ for the sub channel alone. Other wise im loosing more sub bass. :cry:

Is their some sort of adapter you can buy to put more than one set of RCA leads into the HU without having the extra preout?

Thanks guys

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

You can buy a converter that you wire up to your speaker wire from your headunit. You plug in left n right , pos n neg (that's 4 wires) and it gives you a pair of RCA's. Say you did this with your front ones, you could use the OTHER pair of rca's (the ones on the headunit) to run to the sub.

Usually on your headunit it would control rear or sub. It depends on the unit.

I really think that the money you spend on a new 5 channel, you'd still be getting the same power to your sub, and there not a big need to amp your rear speakers (except for being able to high-pass them).

Use that money to buy a 2 channel amp just for the sub, you may be able to double the power to your sub and still use your existing amp for your front speakers.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I agree with what raabz is saying. You'll be able to get a decent 2 channel in your budget, but the 5 channel amp for that price is going to be a much lesser quality.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Quote:
You can buy a converter that you wire up to your speaker wire from your headunit. You plug in left n right , pos n neg (that's 4 wires) and it gives you a pair of RCA's. Say you did this with your front ones, you could use the OTHER pair of rca's (the ones on the headunit) to run to the sub.

Hmm dont mind me but i would find that hard to do, i dont know why but that sounds confusing lol :roll: Also another thing with buying a second amp, is the space.. I already have SFA space in my boot, i would have no idea where to mount another amp. :? I dont want to put an amp under the front seat either, so that rules out that option :roll:

Well all i really need is an amp that has more than 200wrms going into the sub as 200wrms driving a 390wrms sub is fair underpowering. I really need something like 300-400wrms.

Well im not really concerned about the rears all that much, as running off the HU they produce decent bass ne way. Say if i got a 4 channel amp then and run the 2 channels to the sub and the other 2 channels to the front stage? Then with the other amp i can sell it! :roll:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

This is why I said get a high powered 2 channel amp. If you buy a 4 channel amp, you MAY get 300 to your sub and still HEAPS of power to your fronts.

Install your axis under the front seat - install the new one where the axis was. Something like that Jaycar amp should get you 350wrms or something like that. It's only $300 if they still sell them?

Just ideas though hey. I'm running two identical two channels that I got fron USA. $119US each. SWEET AS!

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah i can see where your comming from thou, but i dont really wanna put an amp under my seat (its just a me thing) :roll:

Altough i personally was gonna go for option three, keep the current HU and amp but get a new set of splits, no way stock speakers can sound as good as a pair of Alpine splits or what not even if they are being powered by an amp.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]