Fordmods Logo

Ignition Barrel Volts / Amps draw 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Ignition Barrel Volts / Amps draw
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

This might not be the right forum, but anyways.

I'm wondering how much the ignition switch (upon cranking) sends out to the engine bay in terms of volts and amps. Is it just standard 12v and X amps?

The reason I am asking is because I plan to wire a magnetic killswitch which is rated @ 100v DC / 500mA and I am wondering if that will work.

Cheers!

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Probably not the best way to do it mate....better for that sort of current to sus out the fuel pump sender wire.

On turn over the car can draw up 1000A....your switch is rated at 500milli amperes. Plus disabling the starter is the least effective method. Disabling the ignition via the ECU will either cut the signal completely or allow the engine to turn over but not start. On EFI engines, the engine *may* start and run for a few seconds, until the fuel in the fuel rail loses pressure.

That switch will be enough tho...depending on the Relay Coil resistance eg: 120ohms

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Probably not the best way to do it mate....better for that sort of current to sus out the fuel pump sender wire.

On turn over the car can draw up 1000A....your switch is rated at 500milli amperes. Plus disabling the starter is the least effective method. Disabling the ignition via the ECU will either cut the signal completely or allow the engine to turn over but not start. On EFI engines, the engine *may* start and run for a few seconds, until the fuel in the fuel rail loses pressure.

That switch will be enough tho...depending on the Relay Coil resistance eg: 120ohms

So, in that case, could you guide me in the direction of which wire to splice into? And I didn't mean the coil, I meant the actual ignition switch, which I am pretty sure wouldn't have 1000A running down it, wouldn't it just send a lower current charge to the solenoid?

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]