Fordmods Logo

In car computer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: In car computer
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2005 BF XR6

NSW, Australia

Gday. I'm thinking of building one of these in car computers. I've got some questions that I hope somebody here can answer or point me in the right direction to find an answer.

At this time the system would be based on a media PC system using a media PC box to house the componants and hopefully running a touch screen.

here's the questions.

1. Can you get GPS software and hardware to connect to a PC? I want to have GPS navigation and if possible would like in incorporated in the carPC.

2. How would you power the PC, do I need something to convert the 12v to 240v?

3. What sizes do touch screens come in? I'm only wanting something like a 10" screen or something smallish that can be mounted withing the dash around where the head unit usually sits.

I'm thinking something like this:

Post subject: Re: In car computer
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
Gday. I'm thinking of building one of these in car computers. I've got some questions that I hope somebody here can answer or point me in the right direction to find an answer.

At this time the system would be based on a media PC system using a media PC box to house the componants and hopefully running a touch screen.

here's the questions.

1. Can you get GPS software and hardware to connect to a PC? I want to have GPS navigation and if possible would like in incorporated in the carPC.

3. What sizes do touch screens come in? I'm only wanting something like a 10" screen or something smallish that can be mounted withing the dash around where the head unit usually sits.

Hey mate if this is the way u wanna go fair enough....

on point 1. Best person to ask is pandaman sumthin sumthin lol sorry if ya out there dude cant remeber ya name, i'll try n track that down. Hes gone to alot of effort to get a smick GPS system going and im not sure off hand if it was thru his incarpc or not...

Point 2. Yes u will need a power invertor 240v --> 12V try and get a pure sine wave version....with dual GPO (power outlests...will start to set u back round $300 for a decent reliable unit)......u can buy pre-built incar pcs designed to run straight off 12V unless ya wanna build it yaself.

Point 3. a 10" i think youd have great trouble fitting a screen that large where u have it pictured....I'd be thinkin a 7" touch screen woul be the go....maybe able to go 8" ..have to measure your space up n allow a lil extra round the edges.

and remeber to be a good boy and route the screens power cable via the handbrake cable so its all legal :P (hidden toggles to avoid this etc...I know nothing:P )

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

You can get pre built carPCs? Tell me more, depending on the prices i'd be more likely to just go down that route.

On the screen size, 8" would be fine and i wouldn't have to mutilate the dash as much. How much is something like that going to set me back (if you've any idea)

Basically at the moment i'm just sourcing parts and getting prices. I'm still not sure if i'll go ahead with it, all depends on costs.

Is it just the screen's power that need's to be routed through the hand break? ie. the PC doesn't need to be, only the screen. Anybody know the legislation in NSW?

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
You can get pre built carPCs? Tell me more, depending on the prices i'd be more likely to just go down that route.

On the screen size, 8" would be fine and i wouldn't have to mutilate the dash as much. How much is something like that going to set me back (if you've any idea)

Basically at the moment i'm just sourcing parts and getting prices. I'm still not sure if i'll go ahead with it, all depends on costs.

Is it just the screen's power that need's to be routed through the hand break? ie. the PC doesn't need to be, only the screen. Anybody know the legislation in NSW?

Legislation in ACT so would be the same in this case im guessing for NSW..for any incar screen visible to the driver (thus a distraction) has to have wired in a way so when the vehicle is parked with the handbrake up the screen can operate however when the car is in motion the screen is supposed to be off...so yes this has nothing to do with the carpc and thus it can run 24/7 if u wish....good for when its house ya music :) .... that said it doesnt stop you from hiding a toggle switch somewhere...that bypasses this circuit and is a piece of piss to do...that way it all looks legit.....works as the feds want it too....and if ya want u can flick it on so ya 'passenger' can watch a flick, play a game or sort a new playlist ;).

As to costs apart from Alpine's 7" touch screen displays I havent really looked into it much....going touch screen is a costly option and u really need to look at if it what u really want or need...Alpine's 7" touch screens (normally headrest aimed) go for round rrp $1299 u pretty much double the price of the unit to go touch screen the awesome picture model 8" attracts a $1999 rrp price tage...i wouldnt pay that just for a screen when u can go a full blown media station headunit with DVD playback n touch screen monitor for $1899 + .. but yeh then u loose what u r wanting to do...theres probably cheaper gear out there just cant give u any comparison :)

Heres a nifty lil article i found .. might be worth a quick reference read...http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2334/article.html

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

So how come those in car GPS don't need to be wired so that they are inoperable when driving, i'd have thought that would constitute a distraction or are they too meant to be off when you're actually driving?

The main reason i'm looking at touch screens is because I think the mouse and keyboard would be unwieldy in a car.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:

here's the questions.

1. yes, email me and ill tell u how, trouble_012@hotmail.com

2. yes, either use a 12V psu (preffered) or a 240v inverter then plug your computer into it

3. 7" , 8", 8.4", 10", 10.4" look on ebay as they are cheaper there, also try and get one with a native resolution of 800x600 as it will be alot clearer then 640x480 native

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Screens need to be shut down when the vehicle is moving EXCEPT for navigation and engine management.

Check out OZIexplorer for GPS software... load your own maps from the UBD CDROM, get a bluetooth or USB GPS receiver (check out ebay).

Lilliput do cheapish touchscreen VGA monitors (cant stress VGA enough - composite RCA/Svideo will work, but resolution is a fraction of what you'll want). Againb, check ebay.

www.mp3car.com for lots and lots of resources on carputers.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

So if the screen displayed the GPS when I was driving that would be OK, or is it only dedicated navigation systems that can be on when driving?

I'm now wondering if it would be easier to buy one of those portable PC's with the touch screens and mount it in the dash. Then I wouldn't have to fiddle around with finding a place to stick the case or muck about with power converters.

These things: http://www.tegatech.com.au/products/umpc/vega-256.htm

i'm thinking that all i'd have to do is move the headunit down and then mount this in the centre bit of the dash. Then just plug it into the cig lighter. Sure I couldn't play DVD'd using it as is but you can apparently buy USB DVD-ROMs which could then be plugged into the unit. (like this)

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Once its all set up, run yuor GPS program, take a screenshot, and make that your desktop pic :D

Instead of a touchscreen, have you concidered a small trackball?

Would be a lot easier to use on the move - I know using my NavMan on a slightly bumpy road can be a bit much on the screen.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
Not a bad idea

chewie_86 wrote:
Can you get GPS software and hardware to connect to a PC? I want to have GPS navigation and if possible would like in incorporated in the carPC.
Yep, I use Map Monkey - you can download it from here - http://www.map-monkey.co.uk/

You need maps as well, but that can be done quite easily.
Looks like this -

chewie_86 wrote:
How would you power the PC, do I need something to convert the 12v to 240v?
You can either convert from 12V to 240V and then back to 12V (an inverter), or you can use a 12Volt PSU which is what I use. I use one of these - http://www.switchbox.com.au/12v-atx-power-supply-p-43.html

Panda

Car - Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, Pioneer front speakers, Fusion Subwoofer, Centre Muffler removed
Carputer- P3 966MHz, 256MB RAM, 200GB HDD, 300W PSU, MP3, DVD, Sat-Nav, Digital TV Tuner

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
So how come those in car GPS don't need to be wired so that they are inoperable when driving, i'd have thought that would constitute a distraction or are they too meant to be off when you're actually driving?
This is a link to the NSW Legislation website - http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/subordleg+arr+1999+FIRST+0+N/?autoquery=(FragmentSGML%3D((%22motor%22)))%20AND%20((RecordType%3D%22ACTFRAG%22%20and%20Repealed%3D%22N%22)%20OR%20(RecordType%3D%22SRFRAG%22%20and%20Repealed%3D%22N%22))&dq=Document%20Types%3D%22Acts,%20Regs%22,%20Exact%20Phrase%3D%22motor%22,%20Search%20In%3D%22Text%22&fullquery=(((%22motor%22)))

Here's the copy and paste -

299 Television receivers and visual display units in motor vehicles

(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen:
(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position, or
(b) is likely to distract another driver.

Offence provision.

Note. Motor vehicle and park are defined in the dictionary, and vehicle is defined in rule 15.
(2) This rule does not apply to the driver if:
(a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or displays, a destination sign or other bus sign, or
(b) the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver’s aid, or
(c) the driver or vehicle is exempt from this rule under another law of this jurisdiction.
Examples of driver’s aids.
1 Closed-circuit television security cameras.
2 Dispatch systems.
3 Navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment.
4 Rearview screens.
5 Ticket-issuing machines.
6 Vehicle monitoring devices.
Note. Bus is defined in the dictionary.

So, by law you are allowed to have a GPS system displayed to the driver, but not DVD's.

Panda

Car - Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, Pioneer front speakers, Fusion Subwoofer, Centre Muffler removed
Carputer- P3 966MHz, 256MB RAM, 200GB HDD, 300W PSU, MP3, DVD, Sat-Nav, Digital TV Tuner

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well that makes more sense, so as long as I got pulled over and the screen was running the GPS program there should be no worries. Anyway i'm not an idiot and I don't plan on watching DVDs whilst i'm driving.

Having looked at prices i'm more inclined on going with the portable PC idea then a full media PC. Sure I loose upgradability but I really only want it to play DVDs, hold some music and act as a GPS display. I've seen those portable PC's for under $1300 with touch screen, USB input and 1024*720 resolution which I think would suit my needs.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
Having looked at prices i'm more inclined on going with the portable PC idea then a full media PC. Sure I loose upgradability but I really only want it to play DVDs, hold some music and act as a GPS display. I've seen those portable PC's for under $1300 with touch screen, USB input and 1024*720 resolution which I think would suit my needs.
I would hope it would be under $1300!!

Custom built carputers are pretty much stripped down PC's, all of the un-necessary crap is removed - Anti-virus, anti-spam, word processors, photo editing, video editing, games, auto-updates etc etc etc.

A Pentium 3 650MHz will run Windows XP just fine if all of the crap is removed.

Panda

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

How much did you end up spending (roughly) on yours? Bearing in mind that I don't have any parts lying around that I could use, it all has to be bought or scrounged so with the screen and the PC itself plus PSU it ends up being about $1500-1600. The portable PC has the added bonus of being portable so if I mount it right i'll be able to whip it out when I want a PC on the go.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
How much did you end up spending (roughly) on yours? Bearing in mind that I don't have any parts lying around that I could use, it all has to be bought or scrounged so with the screen and the PC itself plus PSU it ends up being about $1500-1600. The portable PC has the added bonus of being portable so if I mount it right i'll be able to whip it out when I want a PC on the go.
If you are patient, you can get stuff for quite cheap on eBay. What I have been doing lately is bidding on something with a very low bid, and if it gets outbid, I just forget about it. I've got some pretty cheap stuff, but this method would be no good if you were in a hurry.

To answer your question, my carputer has cost me about $1200, but that is everything.
MP3
DVD
SatNav
TV Tuner
Wireless Internet
5.1 Sound Card
Backup Battery
Auto-On Circuit
300Watt PSU

Probably some other stuff as well that I have forgotten.

Panda

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next