Installing PS/Xbox into car 

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

eb_guy888 wrote:
i had an idea on mounting an lcd screen in a fibreglass and custom little box thing and mount it on dash on passenger side sorta moulded to the piller... anyone understand that? lol ill have 2 try it

yeh you mould and mount on to the dash....thats what I did...only reason I cut my dash was so I could vesa mount it and weld it in so theives cant get to it...and due to it being a very large screen was for the weight support.

** LEGALITY NOTE **

Now so you guys all know and this was a drama ive now run into....having passenger side dash mounted screens :-

Are prohibited if this side was originally fitted with an airbag...and requires a 10mm foam cover over the screen area if you want it to be legal.....it still has to be engineered tho....

Dashes standard have a 10mm thick hardened foam for impact give...by cutting this or replacing with screen/mould you have decreased the safety of your vehicle in a crash circumstance....this is a big s**t fight ive had to go thru with mine....u guys wanting to run smaller screens may get away with it but might pay to talk to local engineer or something...unless ya happy to just do it and risk it....i had too.

Same as TV power line should be via the handbrake cable so the screen may only be on when the vehicle is parked...but we all know thats dodgy as you can re-route with a hidden toggle to bypass that or drive around with the handbrake up on one notch so its on but wont effect the vehicles motion.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

so its ok if there was no airbag on that side?

I wasnt planning on cutting dash.. was thinkin a screen mounted on top of dash to piller facing sorta angled toward centre a bit... can u picture it?

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

eb_guy888 wrote:
so its ok if there was no airbag on that side?

I wasnt planning on cutting dash.. was thinkin a screen mounted on top of dash to piller facing sorta angled toward centre a bit... can u picture it?

yeh i understand what you mean....

realistically without engineering approval the answer is no to mounting a screen in the dash...passenger side....air bag or not.....an engineer should approve it if a specific cover is made that ive mentioned above.

also the crap with power connected via handbrake cable....

As to your pillar/dash mount yeh I get what you mean and hat would be fine...so long as it doesnt impair the vision of the driver....distract the driver severly...only comes on when car is in park/handbrake on/stopped and that however you are mounting it..say vesa mount on a pole that it doesnt effect the structual strength and rigidity that is already in place.

Thats to do it all legit, legally and properly...lots of corners then u can cut or simply ignore and do what u want but its at your own choice and risk.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3