Fordmods Logo

Installing TV Screens on EF 

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Installing TV Screens on EF
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Just wondering your opinoins on instaling a TV screen. I am intending on doing a DVD headunit and maybe a 7 inch screen. Problem is I dont know where. I have a FUutra and replaced my clock witha trip computer so where can I put it.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

are u looking to use a motorized in dash screen? if so, grab a premium sound fascia and u'll have a double DIN spot so u can put the DVD player and the screen under it.

2 problems u'll face tho
1. by having the dvd player on top and the screen below, u will have better clearance for the dash surround above the stereo area and under the clock, however when it comes to changing discs, u'll need to drop the screen

or 2. having the screen on top will allow you to change discs freely, however the clearance for the screen will be compromised so u'll have to have it sticking out an assload from the DIN space, or have it tilted downwards

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have a 7inch widescreen in-dash TV screen. I've got the head unit in the normal DIN space and cut a hole for the screen where the little shelf thing was under the headunit. I've got a DVD player mounted in the boot on the opposite side to the stacker. The setup works a treat. only problem is you need to get out and open the boot to change discs. Not a big problem I think anyway as one disc usually stays in untill the whole thing is finished (especially on long trips).
I might be thinking of sellin the whole set-up....... I need the cash for a deposit on a unit.
I could arrange pics if you want

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:55 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Yeah that would be great tahnks mate. Also how much you lookingat for a price?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

In my case i had to use the 2nd DIN opsition, as i didnt want it stick out from the dash n looking ugly/out of place..
Some models will have enough clearence to get over the lip abover the radio surround, i noticed that "offyaguts" has his on the top position and looks fine..
Mines a pioneer and due to its small size and 7" widescreen it doesnt come out far enough to get over the lip in the top position.
Its a compromise altho i have adapted n find it perfectly fine there now. :P

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
, as i didnt want it stick out from the dash n looking ugly/out of place..

Ahhhh, the joys of pov-pack interior! lol. I've just got a screen hanging off the side of the dash near the glovebox. Looks outta place but there's so much s**t hanging outta the dash/console now it kinda blends, lol.

*meh* its a futura so kinda daggy in the 1st place.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Ahhhh, the joys of pov-pack interior! lol. I've just got a screen hanging off the side of the dash near the glovebox. Looks outta place but there's so much s**t hanging outta the dash/console now it kinda blends, lol.

Your interior looks like a C**k to me, switches n stuf everywhere; id get lost! 8-)

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: In Transition

NSW, Australia

came accross this kit from DSE http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/G7116

Member Since FM 1

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Your interior looks like a C**k to me, switches n stuf everywhere; id get lost! 8-)

Lol. Pics in gallery are fairly old now, looks pretty different.... a bit worse actually! More mods to be done as well....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ill get the picture tomorrow night.
I'd be selling the screen (7in widescreen - in dash fold out), the DVD player, the radio surround part (pre cut to fit the screen), RF modulator (needed to input the DVD's sound into any headunit) and all AV leads etc.
How does $450 for the lot sound ?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Bryce,
Let me know if you're interested in selling it, cause i've got a mate who might be interested.

Dave

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

OK I was thinking about this last night.

On my EF where the stck headunit sits there is a panel below that. If I clip the screen onto there and place the headunit under the passenger seat and remote wire the faceplate or something.

Firstly could this work

AND

Secondly what do I need to install a TV and a DVD headunit

AND

Thirdly do all DVD headunits come able to play CD/MP3 and radio

AND (f**k there is alot of ands)

Fourthly how hard is it to make the TV play commerical, free to air TV stations and do I need a special tool for this?

Thanks all.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

1 - Not sure what you mean, why not just fill both DIN's with the units rather than having things hiding under seats, much neater/direct..

2 - To install a tv and dvd player all you need is the screen and dvd player/huead unit which will work with the screen; some brands will need the corrosponding brand unit, some will interchange no hassels; your audio/visual car guy should be able to show you which ones do what...

3 - No, not all dvd players or CD players built into head units or stand alone will play MP3 format, if this is a needed format for you, ensure you choose a player that will work with the MP3 format with no hassels; again your salesman will know this, or do some reasearch on the web, its all there!

4 - You can easily get Free to Air Television (FAT) with an in car TV tuner; these usualy come with internal ariels that you need to sit on the rear window or something; doubt they will be of much use when digital is broadcasted full time tho - dont mean to sound like they are useless, but think to the future a little, as they arent all that cheap.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
1 - Not sure what you mean, why not just fill both DIN's with the units rather than having things hiding under seats, much neater/direct..

I pretty much need a system in palce where the screen fits nicely. My mate has a GLi and he has his where the trip computer goes. I really like my trip computer so I need somewhere else to ut it. I dont know where tough and I need advice, and I am happy to copy off someone else setup.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I pretty much need a system in palce where the screen fits nicely. My mate has a GLi and he has his where the trip computer goes. I really like my trip computer so I need somewhere else to ut it. I dont know where tough and I need advice, and I am happy to copy off someone else setup.

Get a motorised one, goes into the dash where your radio site now; shexy!
They dont ALL cost lots, can be picked up cheap if u look around..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next