Interesting things you’ve seen in car audio 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Interesting things you’ve seen in car audio
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Ok here is a couple I have come across

A mate had a cheap 2 x 40rms amp running his sub.
He had it mounted upside down under the parcel shelf getting all hot, poor wiring to it and inc 10g power cable, the sub was dual 4ohm so he had it bridged running a 2ohm load (1ohm per channel).

He then connected another single 4ohm sub to it (so about 1.5ohm load bridged .7ohm per channel) and the amp worked perfectly and put out heaps of power…. I couldn’t believe it lasted and is still going to this day.

Another mate running 4 x 10â€￾ subs came to me for help saying he was not getting much bass form all the subs he had. After a ;little investigation turns out 2 were out of phase with the other 2. I changed it and he got so much bass he had to take 2 of the subs out and sold them.

I had a guy come to me for help once saying his subs weren’t moving like he thought they should. He had a large 2,000rms monoblock and 2 x 15â€￾ in a ported box.
He was also running anther 2 x amps in the system for front stage and rear fill.

Turns out he was running 3 amps (including the 2,000rms sub amp) from a single run of 8g from the front battery. He had it into a distribution block splitting out to 4 8g runs to the amps. We changed it to 0g and he never looked back.

At an SPL comp I once saw a guy with 2 x 15â€￾ Fusion subs have the subs throw so far they tore the surround away from the edge of the basket and yet continued to win that round with a 146dB.
Here is a little snippet, I am running over 50 relays in my new SQ car, you’ll never guess what they are all for…

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

My brother had this old HG kingswood wagon, every time you turned right a really loud squeel would come from all 4 speakers. The amp was an old crappy Sherwood, i traced the fault back to a shorting speaker cable under a kick panel.

Another is a mate years ago that had 2 amps installed to the boot floor by so called professional installers. He came to me later and said he could smell petrol at the rear of the car. I looked into it and the installers used tek screws to secure the amps to the boot floor but also pierced the petrol tank.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Ahh the old screw through the petrol tank. Not as uncommon as you might think....

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Cant remember what i was watchin, but this SUV was decked out with audio gear, and they had some special platform made for a DJ and his equipment, thought that was pretty cool lol

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

my dodgy wiring must come under this.....

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

I once bought a wreck off a mates old man, it had a pioneer deck with an old audioline amp in the boot running the 6x9's in the parcel shelf. I was told that the system never worked.
The holes in the shelf were cut to large so the person then used thick cardboard as the support.
I pulled the deck out and nearly died, all the wires including the 12volt and negative were made out of 6 core alarm wiring :?: :?: :?: Then i noticed the rcas, they were standard speaker wire connected to rca plugs. The speaker wire from the amp to the 6x9s were also out of 6 core alarm wire, just with three wires to each terminal.

The one that took the cake was the 12 volt and negative to the amp. This was done out of solid core house wire :shock: :shock: .

How it ever worked i dont know but when i pulled it all out and tested it, it all worked fine. I sold the deck for $50, the amp for $50 and the 6x9s, they hadn't seamed to have been used at all, for $60. Given i got the xf sedan for $200 in the first place i did well.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i seen mates vn commy he had the power cables comming from the drivers corner, he had bent the corners of the bonets to stop it jamming. then he ran it into his cabin (bent a bit of teh door to to get it to fit laying betwwen the doorsand teh seats just sitting there to a amp just floating on the floor in te back running 3 jbl subs in sererate boxes all on teh back seat lol.

it was 0 guage and to get it to fit into amp he had cut a lot of teh strands away.

i told him he was an idiot and why he did it he told be he bought it the day b4 teh sound off and didn't ahve time for proper install. sound of was over 6 months ago!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

pyroay wrote:
Ahh the old screw through the petrol tank. Not as uncommon as you might think....

Haha, yeah a mate of mine did that. One screw into the petrol tank, the other into his spare tyre.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

A car audio store here in Brisbane set up a demo car and it would never sound quite right, using all reputable American brands throughout the install it turned out that one of the subs had the positive and negative tags reversed so it looked like it was connected properly but infact was out of phase....
How would a beginner be with that one.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

i had a kenwood 460w rated at 4ohm it ran 2 subs for years then i got a single 12 dual 4 ohm and i only used to run one coil then after months i got bored and bridged both coils so the amp was running at 2 ohm (beiing kenwood obviosly not designed to) but the kenwood amp seem to keep up but it did trip my 75amp circuit breaker a lot though

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Predator

QLD, Australia

a friend complaned that he has bought some kick a** speakers and they didnt sound anywhere near as good as the factory ones he had replaced by a "so called" profesional car audio installer. i had a look to see if i could see what the problem was, apon removing the door cards i discovered the speakers were tied in place with bailing twine, not one part of the speaker was touching the body of the car, it was a 5" (or so) spaeker in a hole for a 6"

i hav also seen a mate insulate his wire with band aids and even one attempt with wool... im not talking s**t, kniting wool!

and a guy at my old work tryed mounting his sub in the cardboard box that the sub came out of because it said somthing like "the dimentions of this box holds the correct volume for this sub to perform best"
when i told him he was stupid he asked "why did it have the dotted line on the top saying cut here" refering to the stencel.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

one of my mates who runs two 15in type r's in a 92 prelude blew his back window out....not quite as dramatic as it sounds... unfortunately, the car was stopped and we were all outside using the remote to crank the volume and the seal down one side of the window blew :twisted:

another mate who didnt quite have as much audio knowledge bought a sound system second hand and laughed at me cause i spent more on just my head unit (only $500)....a week later he asked why it doesn't play loud, the fact the sub is just sitting free to air probably doesnt help either :roll:

the one that takes the cake though would be the prelude...a car that has two type r 15's, two type r monoblocks, a 4ch type r amp, rockford fosgate splits, tweeters and coaxials, but then $20 rca's, stock speaker wiring rearranged and an 8 guage wire for all 3 amps...haha it lasted a month before his ego let him admit he was wrong (which we had all been tellin him) and went and bought some half decent gear :lol:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

One of the older FUZION cars had a system in the back where the amps were totally hidden until the press of the button and the boot floor elevated up then splitted into 2 revealing the Amps, it was really cool

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Ive seen a mate from previous work with a boot full of subs (4) in total all different sizes (2x10' and 2x12') brands (kenwood, sony and pioneer) and wattage between 400watt and 800watt per sub running off of 2x$80 amps!

Was loud but sounded crap! What a waste of money.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

The new Fusion show/demo car or should I say truck lol.....wouldnt produce a crazy DB score unless u paked it in a small garage or something....but F**k me there like over 40 or something woofers probably loads more than that....I cant remeber that review in the latest INCAR magazine but its pretty crazy hehe

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next