Fordmods Logo

interference in front speakers + Doof in sub when HU turned 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: interference in front speakers + Doof in sub when HU turned
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I havn't touched my car in a month and as punishment it's developed 2 new problems!

The first is my JayCar Response AA0458 5 channel amp ( http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... &SUBCATID= ) decided to stop working. The protection light would constantly illuminate and the amp would never actually turn on and run - problem solved as I took it to JayCar and got a replacement on warranty as they tested it there.
Fitted the replacement last night. I now have interference in the front speakers that run off it (only have the front speakers and an 8" sub woofer running off it ATM). The thing is though that the interference is not the usual engine noise that you get through cheap amps or amps not grounded properly, this noise is constant - i.e. when the engine is not running the noise is still there! If you do start the engine the noise gets far worse! Turning any other electronic devices on effects the noise to - i.e. turn the indicator on and the noise changes pitch with the indicator light flashes.

The second issue is that I get a loud doff through my subwoofer when the headunit is turned on or off - this is through both subs which are each running off different amps - I have a Pioneer 15" in the boot running off a Kicker monoblock, and an Earthquake SWS-8 8" running off the sub channel on the above mentioned JayCar amp.

Whats weird about this is that the car literally has not been touched or started for a month.
Any ideas?

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Hi There,

What headunit do you have ?? Not Pioneer I hope.

They can have an issue where, if the headunit ground is inadequate, they try
to ground themselves through the RCA's, potentially damaging the RCA track / fuse on the headunit's circuit board. This can cause " noise "

To rule out a problem with the AMP........

Have you tried swapping the RCA's and speaker wire to the unused
channels ( 3 + 4 ?? ).

If you do this , make sure the ignition is off and disconnect the Amp's
Pos and Neg leads first , then reconnect when swap is complete.

With regard to the sub issue, I can't be much help.
But as it happens with two different Amps, the common denominator
could be your headunit.
How are the REM leads connected on the Amps ??
Daisy chained ??
Two separate leads ??
Any relay involved ??

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2001 AU falcon

VIC, Australia

OMFG i have exatly the same problem and yes i do have a freakin pioneer headunit im gunna go buy a new 1 lol ty for ya help

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

timmy1300000 wrote:
OMFG i have exatly the same problem and yes i do have a freakin pioneer headunit im gunna go buy a new 1 lol ty for ya help

It's the internal ground fuse. Get a wire, earth the wire and strip it, wrap it around the exposed outter gold metal part of the RCA cables where the cable plug into the rca for the headunit. If the noise goes away then you know it's the fuse.

2 options from there, either send the HU to Pioneer to be fixed (not worth it if it's not an expensive unit as the charge is about $60.00). or, leave the cable wrapped around the rcas - dodgey but it works.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2001 AU falcon

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
timmy1300000 wrote:

It's the internal ground fuse. Get a wire, earth the wire and strip it, wrap it around the exposed outter gold metal part of the RCA cables where the cable plug into the rca for the headunit. If the noise goes away then you know it's the fuse.

2 options from there, either send the HU to Pioneer to be fixed (not worth it if it's not an expensive unit as the charge is about $60.00). or, leave the cable wrapped around the rcas - dodgey but it works.

Yeah that wraping round of the wire sounds like a better option than buying a new 1
ty for ya help

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]