Fordmods Logo

Is it true about 12"s and techno 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Is it true about 12"s and techno
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I have a single eclipse 12" sub and it is running of a eclipse two channel amp. I have the sub in a sealed box with a volume of 1.78cu. ft. Its that big because that the biggest i could get it with the MDF availble at the time of construction. The manual says 1.93cu. ft. but i couldn't get it that big. I listen to trance and house and find that with the box facing the rear of the boot it has trouble keeping up with the music. I have it facing the rear as you all know you get more volume out of the sub. However when i face it to the front of the car, it doesn't have any trouble anymore and can pump all day and never slow down on a quick beat, however i do lose about 2/3 the volume.

Now i hear people say that 10"s are better for music with faster beats. Even if my sub is facing the front they say 10''s are more responsive. Is it true? I have never heard a 10" really other than those at the shop and i like 12"s because.....well its either a 12" or its not a proper sub, but i think that is just me.

Opinions?

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:44 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

I've found exactly the same thing recently, turning my sub and installing it firing into the car. I lost some volume (a fair bit) but I think it sounds just as clear - keeping in mind it's not complete yet.

From what most people say, 10's are tighter and I think they do return quicker - but that's ONLY comparing the exact model of sub. If you compare a high excursion 10 and say a sony 12, the sony may be tighter due to the rubber and voice coil etc.

Maybe you should try Two DVC 10's off the same amp? It's just a suggestion.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

lol ive never EVER aimed a sub towards the back of the boot, its always against the seats...

would u prefer a loud system that sounds s**t or a quieter system that sounds better?

a 12" is fine for techno stuff if facing forwards.

i dont know how the volume is better when the sub is facing the other way... in my mums car i canot notic the volume difference but the quality facotr is 2x better facing the seats.

if the sub is not as punchy as u want try looking at getting a higher wattage sub. also go to a store and ask about really punchy subs and compare them with the 10" drivers.

i find that altho 10" is nice and punhcy, it doesnt quite make enough bass for the bassier techno songs i listen to.

also the 10" doesnt seem as loud at the same volumes as a 12" or 15"'

thats my 2c i dont know if theres any scientiffic proof or anythign behind what i said but it comes from expereince.

‮‮

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well with the sub facing the back the hole car shakes and i feel hands on the wheel vibrate. Facing it towards the cabin means hardly any vibration but i do hear more sound even though i cant feel it.

cheers

Post subject: Re: Is it true about 12"s and techno
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:51 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

The DMac wrote:
Now i hear people say that 10"s are better for music with faster beats. Even if my sub is facing the front they say 10''s are more responsive. Is it true? I have never heard a 10" really other than those at the shop and i like 12"s because.....well its either a 12" or its not a proper sub, but i think that is just me.

Well the physics of it say that a 10" (all other things being equal) must be faster, and quieter. So my solution - 2x 10"s lots of bass, and tight response - forward facing.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yes well i always have believed that 10' subs were the best for the techno and dance etc... As they will provide a better response and sound that is suited to that genre. A 12' sub is great for Hard rock and metal thou, really brings out the best sound. I love my Alpine sub atm it sounds bloody awesome even thou its underpowered.

But yeah definately go 10's if your gonna listen to the techno and dance music! :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i changedd my box today. After two hours of work, The sub faces the front and is much better. Thanks guys.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

It's my opinoin that when the sub is facing the rear of the car it uses the volume and shape of the boot to reflect and amplify the sound. Its like having a box in a box! When it's facing the seats you lose the effect and instead you hear only what the sub would produce as though it were in an empty room (well, behind a chair in an empty room)

I personally do not notice much difference in quality between having them facing either way, if anything it sounds flatter when having the sub facing fordwards, but thats more than likely due to the boot amplifying certain frequencies better than others. I dont notice any timing issues at all either way. But the increase in volume more than outweighs the benefits of a slightly cleaner sound ;) all you need to do is fine tune the EQ a bit and your laughing anyway

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:51 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA falcon

VIC, Australia

When you do fire the subs into the cabin, then it is best to completely seal the cabin from the boot area. So basically if you've made a box that fires fowards, then try to seal up any gaps around the box so that you cannot see into the boot. I have personally never actually done this, but have heard mentioned countless times...

I had a 15" but found that it just wasn't suited to my music (hard NRG, trance a bit of metal etc), so i've p****d that off and am now in the market for a nice pair of 10's. Will have the same surface area, but will be much punchier :D

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You could try building a smaller enclosure for your 12" to make it tighter.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

Is your amp big enough to run the sub?

If you are having to point it rearward to hear it the it's under powered. Rear facing does increase db but decreases SQ. I always set up subs to point forwards as the custoners want good sound more than 'BOOM'.
If you prefer the rearward facing BOOM then get a time alignment corrector.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah my Hu is a 9831 and has time correction. The amp i 150wrms and the sub is 170wrms. So its pretty matched. I faced it to the front and like it better because it has more sound. When it was to the back i found that the boom and air vibration would kill the sound. I like it better now that its at the front.

LTDHO you sound like you know what your talking about. In the future i will be buying some type R subs. You probably think i am talking s**t but i am going to be buying four of them. I listen to house and trance so do you think if they are powered right and face the front 12"s would be just as good for response as 10"s.

cheers

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

NP

4 12" Typr R's?

What are you going to run them off?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

rockford fosgate power amp. umm 2000wrms at 1 ohm. the type r's are 500wrms each so i thought they would have enough power at 500wrms each.

I had a look and am tossing up getting shipped from the USA cos its cheaper.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What ohmage are the R's?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next