Jaycar Setups 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Jaycar Setups
Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

looking at around $600 to update my sub and amp...
atm iv got a 250WRms Kenwood Amp and a 250Watt RMS MTX Audio Sub (which is nearly dead) running though 4 gauge wire

im planning to go though Jaycar and get:

2 of these Subs
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2344&CATID
i know there nothing special but the rms will handle amp and this is the area im being stingy...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0426
This amp run each sub of 1 channel and my front jl audio speakers

will i need anything like lower guage wire or better subs to notice a difference...any comments welcome...

oh im going to make a custom box...

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Personally for a better sound, i would go to their Carbon Fibre ones that are about $200, but just get one, then run that off the amp you are loking at. It will run the full 300rms off the 2 bridged channels. Then you still have the other 2 channels for your speakers.
The sub would go fairly well with that setup.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

The Venom subs go pretty well for their price.. At work i made custom boxes for all the subs we stock.. The venom 12" sounds just as good as the carbon fibre 12".. But the carbon one does tend to behave much better at higher volumes.. oh yer and i have a 800wrms d class in the audio display running the subs so they have more than enough grunt..

Now to give you a few things to think about..

1.. You have said u plan on running the 2 venom 12's off 2 ch's and then running your JL speakers off the other 2 ch's.. one thing that may cause problem with this is that you will be underpowering the subs as they have single 4 ohm voice coils.. so when u have 1 sub wired off 1 ch it will only put out 130wrms.. which is 70wrms short of ideal per sub..

2. Why not if you do decide to go with this combo use ur kenwood amp to run your JL speakers and bridge the 4 ch amp to 2 ch and run each sub off each bridged ch.. this will feed 380rms to each sub.. more than enough grunt..

3. Look at the CS-2228.. 12" DVC 4Ohm.. Not many left around the country.. And in the correct enclosure.. 45L ported.. they absolutely pump..

If your ever up Albury way feel free to drop into our store.. it is one of the best stores in the country and i have made a full audio display to show off our gear.. Plus we don't mind doing deals..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

the carbon fibre 1s are over my budget and i dont think having one would impove much on my curent setups

so far im thinking 2.

Quote:
Why not if you do decide to go with this combo use ur kenwood amp to run your JL speakers and bridge the 4 ch amp to 2 ch and run each sub off each bridged ch.. this will feed 380rms to each sub.. more than enough grunt..

the only thing is running 380wrms through a 180wrms sub.... is it just me or would that result in some dead subs...unless i go with the 15' Venoms as they are 250wrms could be a bit better...

if i use the two amps will i need a second wire kit?

couldnt find the CS-2228

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

You won't find the CS2228 on the website cos it is a discontinued sub.. we won db drags autosalon and a few other comps with them a few years back..

As for too much power you can always wind the gain down to say 70% that way amp runs cooler and still has more than enough grunt for later.. Most of the time dead subs occur due to underpowering them or incorrectly set amps..

The 15's are good for big bass but not really tight soudning or great for sound quality..

You may need some additional wiring it depends purely on wat wire you have got in already..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hehe my 350wrms digital design sub loves nething up to around 900wrms :). That would have more bass and sound so much clearer than the jaycar ones. U can find them 2nd hand on CAA forums moderatly often for a price that would fit into your budget. Ive been running a 2nd hand one for 3yrs now with no problems at all. Best sub ive ever had.

Just an idea...

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

subs are more likely to be damanged by being underpowered than overpowered.

at first thought it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but then when you start thinking about it, all becomes clear :)

BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

I use one of these:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=595

And I run two JL Audio 12W0 subs (old ... about 5-6 years old) ... and they still pound quite well in the ute.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:58 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

I started out like you on a shoe string budget.

I originally had 2 of these venom 12's running off their old car 290rms monoblock amps. They used to look like the ones they have for the home audio subs.

I built my own box (as i have done for a variety of subs and vehicles) when i was 16 for the back of my wagon. I had these subs running that well that i outdid a guy that had 2 keenwood 12's that he had spent 600 on, go figure. They are good for what they are. I dont think that there are suited to a more techno beat, but i was only ever listening to r n b so it didn't matter to me.

I got sick of the 2x12's so i updated to 2x venom 15's. I did the same thing with these, built my own box and run the pair of them off of a audioline 4x300. They pumped the bass like no tomorro but i could not get them to play any sort of techno without sounding muddy.

I now have a kicker solabaric running off a jaycar d class amp and a 4x100 running to pairs of splits. Ive only had it running for 5 minutes (only long enough to get the sub moving, i still haven't worn it in yet) and then i removed the whole system to continue with the fibreglass projects. But it sounded great.

The point to all that is that in the right box (the recommended ones are for a wide variety of tunes, i made mine to suit an rnb mix) the venoms are the best sounding sub for the money they cost. You wont be dissapointed with them.

Goodluck
Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

fourL6 wrote:
the carbon fibre 1s are over my budget and i dont think having one would impove much on my curent setups

so far im thinking 2.

Quote:
Why not if you do decide to go with this combo use ur kenwood amp to run your JL speakers and bridge the 4 ch amp to 2 ch and run each sub off each bridged ch.. this will feed 380rms to each sub.. more than enough grunt..

the only thing is running 380wrms through a 180wrms sub.... is it just me or would that result in some dead subs...unless i go with the 15' Venoms as they are 250wrms could be a bit better...

couldnt find the CS-2228

15 inch sub is a completely different sound to a 12" sub From my experience

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

68stang wrote:
fourL6 wrote:

so far im thinking 2.

Quote:

couldnt find the CS-2228

15 inch sub is a completely different sound to a 12" sub From my experience

Yeh they are simply depends on what your after ... if youre all about bass... spl competition..dance/electro music then a 15" combo with some decent clear splits in the fronts would be fine...however if youre after tight punchy bass notes for everyday listening music and even SQ competition then a 15" driver probably isnt the best way to go.

Another note going cheap gear like the jaycar stuff/sony xplode etc this would further go with what I said above as these products arent as sensitive or as quality backed as the other larger mainstream brands.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

So fourL6 what gear are you actually running now - for $600 it may not really be worth upgrading the whole system yet.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]