Fordmods Logo

Just purchased 2 12"Type R Subs 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Just purchased 2 12"Type R Subs
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

AS the title says i just purhcased two SWR 1241D's - 12" Type R subs. Seems as though ive forked out decent money for the subs i want them to sound good and i want the enclosures to be correct for the subs.

The subs are going on the back shelf (little raised step in the boot) in an EL. The only governing measurements is that it can not exceed 700mm wide and it cannot be any taller than 350mm high. I was thinking of having the subs facing into the car following the angle of the back seats and having the back of the box flat.

Just wondering if:
*anyone has a program to give me the proper diamensions for the box
*if the subs should have two seperate chambers
*which way i should face the subs (into the car or into the boot)
anything else i might have forgotten

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

you got to worry about the volume.

my sub is a 12" eclpise and the volume of the box it 1.78 cub feet. its a huge box and faces the back of the car. you should looks at the volume needed on teh instruction booklet.

jsut be aware, be prepared to lose a lot of boot space.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jsut had a look on the alpine website. it need 35 litres per sub so make sure they are divided in the box. a seventy liter box is 2.5cubic foot box. decent size that is.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

where abouts did you read on their site that they needed 35lt? coz i read that they only need 24lt sealed box each :? confused :?

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

s**t your right man sorry i read wrong.

Bloody alpine, who gives the same model number for a type s and type r sub. sorry man.

s**t my box would be for your subs then. its a just a little bigger but that means you make it a little smaller. i can give you the measurement but it for an EA so it might be a little different.

Actually now thinking about it, because the subs need to be in seperate spaces in the box a piece of 18mm mdf woud reduce the volume and bring it down to the size for you. if you want it i can go and measue it up for you.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:43 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

you only need separators if your running the subs with separate amps. if your running them off one amp wire them up in parallel and since they get the same voltage to both you can have it in the same box since they technically will move at the same time. if separate amps then need a serparation. the guidelines they give you from alpine work pretty well when it comes to box size. have a tinker around with angles and stuff to get it how you want it to sound. if you face it towards the boot you get the reverb sound to your cabin whereas the otherway is more direct, honestly just build the box to the litres specified and then play with the box around the boot till you're happy. there's a alpine store in frankston that i found real helpful, i find the name and address

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i'll beat vib to it their call peninsula car sound cnr clyde street and rossmith ave frankston, and as he said their good guys down their

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if your in clayton prob closer to go to central car radio in bentleigh
its on nepean highway cople doors from autobarn

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

you can get a deleyed effect with 2 subs in parallel if one length of speaker cable is say 10 mtrs longer than the other! divide the box anyway cause it will give the middle bracing making it more rigid and wont resonate as much. basically giving it more punch.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ovo616 wrote:
i'll beat vib to it their call peninsula car sound cnr clyde street and rossmith ave frankston, and as he said their good guys down their

yeah i juss found my reciept, yeah i found them really helpful with my stupid questions. i guess everybody likes to put the partition in the sub box, i personally don't have one, even though i'm running two amps for the two subs, haven't had any problems. but then again i'm using mrdm500's so they pretty much regulate everything.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:33 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for everones replies

DMAc: That would be great if you could give me the measurements.

Vibrate: you say your running 2 mrd-m500's for 2 subs. im looking at getting1 mrd m500 for the two type R's. Do you think it will drive it the two subs ok? i really want the mrd m1001 but the $$$$$$$$$

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:36 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

XRLENT6 wrote:
Thanks for everones replies

DMAc: That would be great if you could give me the measurements.

Vibrate: you say your running 2 mrd-m500's for 2 subs. im looking at getting1 mrd m500 for the two type R's. Do you think it will drive it the two subs ok? i really want the mrd m1001 but the $$$$$$$$$

yeah it'll be more than sufficent, sounds absoutely fantastic, get the wiring diagram from alpine and wire them at 2 ohm, sounded great but i like to go the overkill. personally i have too much power at the moment but i was opting for the bigger upgrade later on. tuning it is a b**ch, but yeah pm me when u got it installed and i'll tell u the settings i'm using, oh yeah and i orginally only ran it with one, i just had too much money one day and figured what the hell, y not

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:01 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeah it'll be more than sufficent, sounds absoutely fantastic, get the wiring diagram from alpine and wire them at 2 ohm, sounded great but i like to go the overkill. personally i have too much power at the moment but i was opting for the bigger upgrade later on. tuning it is a b**ch, but yeah pm me when u got it installed and i'll tell u the settings i'm using, oh yeah and i orginally only ran it with one, i just had too much money one day and figured what the hell, y not[/quote]

lol, too much money. Nah thats good coz i was starting to get worried there for a moment that you were running one amp per sub and that i would have to do the same to get some decent sound out of them.
The subs swr1241d are 4ohm and the swr 1221d are 2ohm. Or can i run the 1241's at 2ohm aswell? Also which way do you have your subs facing. Wen i only had one sub i faced it into the boot coz i think you can hear too much cone sound when their facing into the car. But two is a different storey. THanks again

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:21 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

XRLENT6 wrote:
lol, too much money. Nah thats good coz i was starting to get worried there for a moment that you were running one amp per sub and that i would have to do the same to get some decent sound out of them.
The subs swr1241d are 4ohm and the swr 1221d are 2ohm. Or can i run the 1241's at 2ohm aswell? Also which way do you have your subs facing. Wen i only had one sub i faced it into the boot coz i think you can hear too much cone sound when their facing into the car. But two is a different storey. THanks again

you can run em at 2 ohm, but 4 ohm is considered stable, mine are 4 ohm as well but run beautiful at 2. you'll get more power outta the amp at 2 ohm, only reason i said this to run at 2 ohm, now i got a explorer so its a bit different, mine is facing the rear window braced agains the back seat, but the box is custom and the sound is basically aimed so it hits the front seats rather than all directions, i prefer it facing away from the cabin

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i had a look and took the measurement. but you should make it out of cardboard like i di to get a custom fit.

mine is 600 across(internally) which for two 12"s you would need to make it about another 50-70mm wider. it is 360mm deep and also 360mm high at the front. the top piece is slanted cos i made a mistake. it is slanted so it goes under the parcel shelf bit the steps down going into the cabin. the top piece is about 26-28cm in depth. and remeber all of these are by 600mm.
then i just traced the sides and stuck em on with contructions adhesive and heaps of screws.

but remember to make it out of cardboard first and just stick with tape to get a rough idea and the proper measures from that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next