Fordmods Logo

Looking for a good free air 8" sub 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good free air 8" sub
Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

The upside with freeair setups if done correctly is they go lower than a boxed speaker will, BUT they handle far less power, the other thing is that when installed on the rear shelf it isn't trying to drive through the rear seat like most systems so that requires less power.
Realistically any sub can be run freeair to a degree just some do it a whole lot better, I have some Kicker F series 8's which work quite well as do my pair of Altec Lansing 8's but my favourites for freeair duty is my pair of Orion Nt2dvc 10's, they sound nice if done properly....
The other problem is with the rear shelf is the rattles from the retractable seatbelt mounted in the middle and as mentioned previously the whole shebang needs to sealed off to work at its best...

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Thought id jump in and say that i went down this road the last few weeks. Bought a Jaycar response 8" to replace the stock BA premium setup woofer that was popping, Sounded worse though. Got the Pioneer free air 8" and still sounded crap. Tried the JL unit next and yep still no real difference. I believe without boxing one beneath the parcel tray you wont be up for much of a difference, even then wont be a big improvement. I wasted my money trying believe me. Ended up with an Alpine type R 12 which i was honestly steering away from, but f**k me it hit sooo hard with a 500 wrms amp. if you really want an 8, you must box it beneath the parcel tray or get onto one of the boxed active units from Jaycar/Alpine/Fusion etc... and try squashing it beneath the seat. Take it from me you wont get much otherwise.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

i was told that rockford fosgate do an awesome 8" free air sub

havent heard one but would like to here people thoughts on them

cheers bear

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

There is no doubt about it that boxed subs hit harder and much louder than freeair but freeair goes lower.
Back in the day with a pair of Kicker freeair 10's running of a RF Punch 40 at 30hz I could get 130dB, this was in a car with a fuel tank behind the back seat so a box was not practical and not a very powerful amp but it sounded good, not hugely punchy but I had twin 6.5" midbass drivers in each front door for punch....
This was a 4 x 20w system....

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

<Dredge>

Has anyone tried the JBL GTO 804 8" units?

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i tried a replacement 8" sub in the parcel shelf and it sounded really really crap. so then i bought 2 of them and made a box, still crap

so then came 2x 10" subs boxed, much much better, but still not as good as 12" sub

building a box to sit under a parcel shelf mounted 8" sub will take up more useful room than building a 1.5 cubic foot box with single 12" that sits up hard against the seat, and extends as far as where the top ledge of the boot floor finishes

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
i tried a replacement 8" sub in the parcel shelf and it sounded really really crap. so then i bought 2 of them and made a box, still crap

so then came 2x 10" subs boxed, much much better, but still not as good as 12" sub

building a box to sit under a parcel shelf mounted 8" sub will take up more useful room than building a 1.5 cubic foot box with single 12" that sits up hard against the seat, and extends as far as where the top ledge of the boot floor finishes

A very well articulated and thought out response full of very useful imformation ..... ;)

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I don't want so much bass that my teeth fall out.

I'm just after a replacement for the factory driver that has enough sensitivity, efficiency and headroom that it won't clip like the factory unit does.

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:

Replacing the free-air 8" sub with a non free-air 8" sub won't make the sound quality any better, seeing as it is designed to be in a box.

My brother in law had 2 x 8" subs in a custom box...was noice and toight but obviously couldn't hit low notes as well as a 12" sub can. It was the JBL GTO 804D.

By the way, the JBL GTO 804D only needs an 8.5L enclosure (0.3 cubic feet) or ported 17L (0.6 cubic feet). Not much space required IMO.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2010 Fg XR8

QLD, Australia

You can try any marine 8"

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOUNDSTREAM- ... 0732188295

This is what I have, I can't really say what it's like because I have no reference, but it was much better than the rooted factory sub.

EL Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2