Fordmods Logo

looking to upgrade el alternator HELP 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: looking to upgrade el alternator HELP
Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont 1996

QLD, Australia

I currently run a little over 5000w rms and have run out of power i need a bigger alternator. I have serched fleebay and other sights but cant seem to find any bigger than 110amp which is standard and what i have. where can i get a bigger alternator or what else will fit easy to give me more power, I already have a back up battery and cap i just want to know about a bigger alternator.

Post subject: Re: looking to upgrade el alternator HELP
Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

You will either need to speak with an auto elec to get one wound up to be of greater output or drop into somewhere like Repco & see what the guys can order in for you, there are bigger alternators available, but they will cost a bomb and probably require bracket & wiring mods to fit.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i have tried repco local guy said he could not get one and tried ashdowns elec andthey also said could not help. They could be just lazy.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

Easy... run 2 alternators....

surely another can be mounted somewhere......

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i did think of that was trying to just get a 150- 200 amp alternator to just replace the old one

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

chuckatantrum wrote:
i have tried repco local guy said he could not get one and tried ashdowns elec andthey also said could not help. They could be just lazy.

What store is the Local repco? I didn't think ashdowns sold to the public?

They need to check the rocket or VPW catalog for a bigger alternator. There will be nothing listed in the computer, this I can tell you for sure.

As for the 2nd alternator, maybe with custom brackets, and other custom work & a much longer belt.... too much work I reckon.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

QLD, Australia

I too have big power draw, 4150 RMS from 5 class A/b power amps. Each amplifier draws over 90 amps from 14v at full swing, which means at lower voltages there is more current draw. I tried to get a bolt on 200 + amp alternator but it was way to expensive. I installed two Optima Yellow Top D34 batteries in the tire well and charge them from a standard 110amp alternator and have had no problems. When listening at moderate levels it still charges the batteries but when i get a good song or want to demo the batteries take over in suppling the current. In my opinion a capacitor dose nothing for power supply problems and i think in some applications it can be worse. I think the best option is reserve current from quality deep cycle batteries.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

I was told by a place that reco's alternators that the best option is to find a factory fitted bosch alternator. apparently they can be upgraded without to many issues. The problem is that it seems most of the standard alternators are mitsubishi brand and the bosch are harder to find. I looked for 12 months for one for my EL and gave up and got rid of the car just to find the replacement el I got had the bosch alternator.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

QLD, Australia

head_ache wrote:
I was told by a place that reco's alternators that the best option is to find a factory fitted bosch alternator. apparently they can be upgraded without to many issues. The problem is that it seems most of the standard alternators are mitsubishi brand and the bosch are harder to find. I looked for 12 months for one for my EL and gave up and got rid of the car just to find the replacement el I got had the bosch alternator.

I still think that upgrading the alt is sort of pointless

assuming 100% efficiency 5000 watts at 14 volts is still over 357 amps and if voltage drops to 12 it is over 416 amps. Now if the amps are 70% efficent then current draw jumps to almost 600 amps. I understand that it is only peaking at these levels but at even half it is still 300 amps. Too much for one alternator.

Have a play with this one http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/w ... ulator.asp

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

head_ache wrote:

Is there a bosch alternator to suit the EF & EL? I didn't think there was. In the earlier E series there are bosch alternators, but they are not all that common.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
head_ache wrote:

Is there a bosch alternator to suit the EF & EL? I didn't think there was. In the earlier E series there are bosch alternators, but they are not all that common.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sorry to drag up this thread again but to answer ToranaGuy's question. Yes there are bosch alternators for the EF/EL's I have one one my wagon at them moment they are just hard to find. Besides the one I have I have only ever seen 1 other one and it to was on an ex cab so maybe they are an upgrade for the factory taxi spec cars

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]