Fordmods Logo

Max Door Speaker Depth for EF/EL series? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Max Door Speaker Depth for EF/EL series?
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

After the clearance for door speakers in the ef/el range..
Need to start look for some new speakers and dont wanna go find something i like if it doesnt fit lol!
Hope someone has a good idea; cheers guys.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:36 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

There's actually a fair bit of room between the speaker and the grill on the door. You might be able to fabricate a baffle to screw to the stock 3 holes, to bring it forward and make for more depth. An installer said he'd be able to fit the new Alpine S series splits and they were pretty big.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Do you think 78mm would be too deep?
Ive got power windows and i think i was told that makes a difference.
Bloody hell lol!!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:13 am 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

That's tough, Sorry I can't answer that. I have normal sony splits, went in without a hitch, on the normal holes. I can't find the Alpine depth, not even from the american website.

Sounds pretty deep, but I'm sure with spacers you'd be right. Mounting those Aeropro 6.5in MDF spacers would give you a bit of room I'm sure, or if you're keen, build your own spacer, one that will fill the whole hole in the door, keeping the sound in the door, cutting down on the backwards waves coming forward.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I have Alpine Type S component splits up front and the welds/lugs that hold the door grille on have made indentations in the cone rubber. DOH! Should have checked clearances first. :(

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

jl audio splits fit straight in there is some one one hear that has them and they are pretty good

vdo splits dont fit and if you have a look in my gallery you will see the extreme i had to go to fit them..

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:41 am 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

Hey stickD,

I like the pods. I will have to do something similar soon to get my speakers in then. In a few weeks I will take delivery of a pair of MA audio 6.5in splits. 150WRMS. I'll also have coming with that, 2 MA audio 2x150WRMS amps and a 3-way active crossover.

How good do the speakers sound in the pods? I was going to make mine to almost replicate the size of the pockets on my futura, and have the cones almost sealed in the pod, but I would be right in assuming that they would sound better mounted into the door? Create more midbass that way?

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:25 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Daniel - those polyglass 2 wway splits you were looking at would fit...worst case scenario, make a thin MDF baffle to allow for a bit more clearance...obviously not too thick, as you don't want to hinder the door trim's clearance either.

Worst possible situation - look at 5.25's up front - set them up well and you can have some great results.

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
Daniel - those polyglass 2 wway splits you were looking at would fit...worst case scenario, make a thin MDF baffle to allow for a bit more clearance...obviously not too thick, as you don't want to hinder the door trim's clearance either.

Worst possible situation - look at 5.25's up front - set them up well and you can have some great results.

im thinking of going the slim version; shouldnt have any hassels then.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:40 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

dcstraight wrote:

There is a fair bit of depth even with power windows. You can easily mount a 6mm baffle in front to bring them further forward and still have clearance.

It's only a 5min job to get a door skin off. Take the speaker out and go down to the store where you are thinkging about your speakers. Let them take one out of the box and sit it there to check depth.

5.25" woffer and tweeter fit with a little bit of mucking around all in the door and it stages quite well as Steve points out.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]