Fordmods Logo

Need help choosing amp 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Need help choosing amp
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

NSW, Australia

hey guys need help choosing an amp for my Alpine DDLinear DLC-177R and my Soundstream Tarantula SST6.5. I was told i needed an amp to get the most out of them when i bought them but i don't know what to get as the power handling of the two are quite different and i don't want to kill the alpine's. Any help would be great. Thanks

if you need more info on the speakers

http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=240

http://soundstream.com.au/prod_spkr.html

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

Have a look in tech documents-there is a series of articles on amplification.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

a sony or boss audio one should be a good choice....

joking, make sure you spend a decent amount of money on amps. I run pioneer just cause I didn't want to spend a fortune and they run my DLS splits well. If i had the money i would buy DLS amps as my mate runs reference series 4ch and it sounds really nice.

I haven't heard the pdx (i think) amps by alpine but aren't they supposed to be above V12 (also quite nice for the price)? They might be worth a shot. I haven't used or heard soundstream, but people rave about them.

Are you going to run active or passive crossovers?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

NSW, Australia

Quote:

PostPosted: Yesterday at 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

joking, make sure you spend a decent amount of money on amps. I run pioneer just cause I didn't want to spend a fortune and they run my DLS splits well. If i had the money i would buy DLS amps as my mate runs reference series 4ch and it sounds really nice.

I haven't heard the pdx (i think) amps by alpine but aren't they supposed to be above V12 (also quite nice for the price)? They might be worth a shot. I haven't used or heard soundstream, but people rave about them.

i have no idea what active/passive crossovers are i thought both sets of speakers came with some sort of crossover network

the main thing i wanted to know was what is the maximum power i should be running through a 40watt rms speaker before it would die.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

energizer181 wrote:
Quote:

PostPosted: Yesterday at 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea what active/passive crossovers are i thought both sets of speakers came with some sort of crossover network

the main thing i wanted to know was what is the maximum power i should be running through a 40watt rms speaker before it would die.

how long is a piece of string?

I thought those speakers were more than 40wrms?

Anyhow with those speakers I would be looking at running an amp that gives them atleast 80wrms, as you can run the gain lower (the higher the gain is the greater the level of distortion in the amplified signal - worse sound quality and greater chance of damaging speakers)

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]