Fordmods Logo

Need help making some boxes and some door pods for speakers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Need help making some boxes and some door pods for speakers
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 au2 sr wagon

VIC, Australia

ok ive got 2 6.5" jaycar speakers that i want to put in the parcel (spelling) shelf what i plan on doing to do this is make 2 8"x8" boxes which are 5" deep then putting the speakers in those on the shelf. should i line them with anything ?

i also have to make some door pods and was wonder how i should go about doing this, should i use mdf, what angle shoud the speakers be faceing in for decent sound.

im doing on my own and ive never done this before any advice would be appreciated.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Mate if your gonna have a crack at this ya self I hope your good with ya hands and hardware.

Theres some good tutorials on making door pods and fibreglassing how to's in general on http://www.caraudioaustralia.com but yeh.

8"x8" boxes on the parcel shelf ?? i hope ya dont mean just square lookin boxes..would look heaps dogy imo.

How r ya planning to do this... ?

door pods...your aim is to have the direction of both the midbass/midrange driver and the tweeter aimed to produce the effect all the sound is comin from a logical point in the front of the car. So too say anymore youd have to say where ya plan to mount em...? in the bottom corner...beside the door pockets...under the factory speaker location ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

and as far as line the parcel shelf up...since ya fabricating ya boxes it aint gonna really matter just one each side near the factory holes so it doesnt look toooutta place ?

You make boxes tho...either pods, the cheap mdf spacers or existing holes would be better.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:27 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

im not very knowledge in audio anyway atm i have a pioneer cd headunit nothin flash, in the doors i have 4" US Audio 80 watt speakers and in the shelf i have 2 6" pioneer 140 watt. with the magnets about and inch or 2 away from the gas tank. i just got some 6.5" jaycar kevlar speakers so i planned on makinig a pair of boxes to mount them in so there clear of the gas tank and then moving the 6" pioneer speakers to the frount and making door pods for them, atm im just trying to do it cheaply and still get some decent sound, im not all that fussed on how i set it up thats just the idea i had. i do plan on angleing the boxes for the 6.5' speakers.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

well to stay on the cheap - aerpro make a nice set of angled pre-made parcel shelf pods for 6.5" splits ... could be the go

otherwise proper custom fibreglass moulds...if ya dont know too much about this i wouldn't recommed trying this your self unless u have some money to waste...on a few attempts

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:34 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
well to stay on the cheap - aerpro make a nice set of angled pre-made parcel shelf pods for 6.5" splits ... could be the go

thanks a bunch i think i might grab some of those aerpro 6.5" angled parcel shelf pods and also some for the front and mount them to some flat mdf so then ive got a door pod made up then i just have to finish it of with some nice trim :D, i think it will work nicely thanks alot for your help Big Kev

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

QLD, Australia

I'll agree with big kev again this evening and say 8x8" boxes would look hell dodgy and the areopro mdf angled pods are the go. Just stay away from the cheap plastic spacers and pods........ bloody awful....

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Cherokee

QLD, Australia

Hey Big Kev are you an installer? if so where bouts in Canberra are you at??

Looking for EF/EL Falcon/Futura/XR6/XR8/Fairy.
PM me if intrested in selling......

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]