Fordmods Logo

New Amp - Upgrade Power etc. Question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: New Amp - Upgrade Power etc. Question
Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

WA, Australia

Currently i have a kenwood 200watt amp powering a 12inch clarion and i am upgrading to a pioneer 1000watt mono block ($379 on ebay).

My question is will i need to change the power wire and fuse to power the new amp effectively? My old amp was installed professionally and i know that it is a 30A fuse but not sure what guage the power wire is.

Also while i am at it, if i install the old amp later on to power the fronts, will the battery and alternator be up to the task?

Thanks guys

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

yeah probably.
You would want to run a 4 Gauge power cable, that would pretty much cover it. If you were going to use the old amp the run your front speakers, then leave it connected to do exactly that.

I'm not 100% sure about the battery and alternator, i'm pretty sure the alternator would be fine, the battery would depend on what condition and how old it is atm. If you run the stereo cranked up and the car off, then the battery wont last long.
However i've only got a $100 Century battery, and i've got 750RMS running out of the Amp, and a 150watt invertor, and i have had that running with the car off for a fair while, watched movies whilst camping and so on, a few times, and it seems fine. Could be good luck....

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Hi mate, I have the amp that you are getting, and im running 4 gauge cable with a 60 amp fuse. I used to be running 8 gauge, but this was causing the headlights to dim with the bass, and an upgrade to 4 gauge solved this.

Cheers,

GazzaED

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

WA, Australia

Thanks for the replies,
Yeah i'll just leave the old amp there for now and i'll install the new amp in a different spot and add a new cables. The battery is only around 7 months old so that should be alright then.

Edit: What do u think of the amp? Such a good price with retail of around 600

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]