New El' cheapo project 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: New El' cheapo project
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hey all, just been thinking about my sound system lately and decided that i dont need flash speakers in the rear fill of my XR6 (as i rarely have passengers) SO i have decided to do a swap (hopefully this week) i plan to take the Alpine Type S coaxials from the rears and place them in the doors at the front, insted of having stockies thier.

Would make more sense having the better speakers at the front ne way. I plan on this being a dramatic change in the way the whole system sounds.

Hopefully it sounds better. So yeah the alpine speakers have tweeters that can be moved around etc, so this will also increase the front staging to. Ive checked out the front speakers in the Xr and they seem to be in pretty good condition so hopefully they sound alrite in the back. Then i will need to get a new grille for them to, but they wont be much of a problem. :)

Anyway just thought i would try to get a few opinions on this. Good idea / bad idea? Let me have it :)

Also its not that im POV but if this sounds good then i wont need to upgrade the front stage anymore :D But if it sounds terrible then i will change it all back and do something better.

Cheers

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Are they gonna fit ok?

Ive got the same alpine S speakers in my parcel shelf. Only thing that comes to mind is that you will still have the tweeters from the front stage up on the dashboard and the speaker you take from the front door will have no tweeter once you put it in the back... if you get my drift??

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah i get what you mean the alpine Type S speakers are 6' but the grille is 6.5 and stock front speakers are 6' if i recall. So it should fit nicely. its worth a try as for the tweeters yeah that is prolly the only problem i can think of too.. :roll: Lol way around that would be to get a 'Decent' set of 2 way coaxials for the rears. LOl i hear alpine Type s are only $95-105 these days :roll: Hmm... :idea:

If i were to do that then i would most like take out the tweeters that are up inside the dash... :?

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

As I am unaware of your current Finacial situation, My advice might not be to good.

I would tell you to leve the Type S's in the back and simply put some Type S splits in the front. Just DONT put the tweeters into the original XR Dash mounts. To close to the windscreen. Reduces sound quality a s**t load!! If you cant go the splits, put the S's into the door mounts and Just run some new wires to the back of your head unit. This way, you dont need to take out the dash tweeters. Easy fix! If you put your original factory speakers in the back, It will, and I do say WILL, Sound like s**t as the dash tweeters control the high range frequencies of the speakers you want in the back.

Oh yea, hope you got the adapters for the S's, other wise, Get the drill. The type S have a 4 hole set up and falcons have only 3 holes. They do come with adapters but whether you have tem or not.......

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm okay well sounds like thier are a few issues.. hmm not looking good, after hearing that i would probally just go out and buy new splits lol.

Stuffing around with car audio and not getting anywhere is something i want to avoid :roll: Well atleast i have explored the idea of it all.. :wink:

Thanks for the info.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

I will share this with ya. So far, excluding my head unit, I have spent $640 on car audio. That got me 6 1/2" coaxials for the rear, 6 1/2" Splits for the front, 2 12" Subs and a Mono Block Amp. All Clarion. With Head Unit, $855. And That was with a Panasonic Mp3/WMA/CD-Text. Its not bad but that is getting taken out soon and replaced with the top of the line clarion deck. Cant rember Model Numbers but its all colour, Touch screen fancy schmancy stuff. Even though Alpine is more expensive, You will find that your better off doing it right the first time. Save your self A whole lot of money and trouble later on down the track.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah sounds pretty decent that setup of yours. I was just curious thats all i mean if it wasnt gonna sound good i would of changed it back any way. But i will just go around and have a good look for some decent/well priced splits for the front i think.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:30 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

As far as getting the best from what you've got without changin anything or spending any more money, moving the Type "S" to the front would be the best move.

Of course youyr next upgrade would br to get some splits (ytype "S" or Type R asuming you wish to stay Alpine and your budget allows)

In whch case you should then transfer the co-axilas back the to the rear...

I would also sound deaden your car. will be putting a Tutorial up on it shortly ans the results are VERY IMPRESSIVE and definately worth the effort....

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

LOL its cool altough i know your methods of sound deading would be greatly supperior to mine. But i have had alot of experince with sound deading as well, i decked out my whole XF with it and got it sounding perfect in the end.. LOL then i sold it 2 months later :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]