Fordmods Logo

New Heavy Rockford Boot Install! 

Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

Thanks phong that was a massive help!!!

is it worth installing, upgrading the ground cables and see how it runs be4 i rush into getting a cap???

Connors

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

well if you knew the alternator is only 110amps, which is next to nothing.

no matter what you will always have headlight dimming in a falcon, unless you spend the money which most people wont.. on a reasonable system...

say what you wanna say, i know what im on about and ive had no problems with the way i do things.. so there could be diff ways, obviously.

thankyou very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

read what " phongus" has said in his last post, exactly what i have been saying..

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Timmy - go for the cap IF you get dimming, AFTER you have upgraded all earths, and had your alternator tested and possibly upgraded.

As for RustyEF -

"The only way I can think of to reduce dimming is making a stronger earth"

Thats what Phongus said. Thats what I said. If you still get dimming then you need a better alternator.
I'm running 2 subs now, and speakers all from an amp, and I still dont get dimming. Just go to Repco or somewhere and get 4 gauge cable and just replace your earths. Costs like $10/m. Way less than a cap.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Timmy Connors wrote:
Thanks phong that was a massive help!!!

is it worth installing, upgrading the ground cables and see how it runs be4 i rush into getting a cap???

Your welcome mate.

If you want your amp to run better and without fault, it is better to have the cap...if you can't afford the cap, then turn down your gain to reduce the power usage and save up until you can get a cap.

It won't hurt to upgrade your earth. If you want to experiment, run the system without a cap and without upgrading the earth. Then run it with a cap (if someone can let you borrow one) and see if the dimming is reduced. Then remove the cap and try upgrading the earth and see what happens...

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the help from EVERYONE!
and cant wait to just get it in there
it all got shipped out from America yesterday so will be here on tuesday or sumthen!

but still a couple of weeks be4 i install as i have s**t all money at the moment, and cos its school holidays no doubt i'll be getting on the Tins a bit!

but will keep you all updated!

cheers

Connors

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT Series 2

QLD, Australia

Dude upgrade the earth wire first not to cancel out getting a cap but because it will help in the overall scheme of the system. You wont necessarily get dimming of your lights with what you have anyway. Also 110amp alt is not nothing it is pretty good if you consider bigger cars and fourbys come with only 85 amp alternators.

Cam.

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef falcon

WA, Australia

just wondering has anybody actually apgraded there alternator if so what too???? does this have any affects with anything else in the vehical...
some good info in the thread as im about to start stereo install in me car already got a 800cca gellcell which should be positve might go upgrade all the earths anyway aswell could only be a positive if anything right!!!

stage2cam,lukeyheaders,highflowcat2 1/2, 2 1/2 exhaust 3 hotdogs, 17x235/45 17x255/40's

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Finally a Progress report!!

Got guys from bendigo auto sound to draw up a design for the box,
went n got all the wood cut up, drilled her up and its looking a treat!
will wire it all up tomorrow night and post photos friday!

anything i should know be4 we wire it up?

and wat about a farad cap? the bloke says yes, but a lot of people say no..
i cant really offord one now.. :cry:

Connors

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Dont get it. Easy as that. Just another thing they can sell you.

If you feel that you do need to get one, after having the system for a month or so, you could buy one.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

It really is sad when people want doof doof yet they don't understand how their doof doof is being created.... For your system just upgrade your earths and make sure you run nice fat cable, 2g or 0g, to the boot. And if your going to be running the system full volume all the time you might want to invest in a second battery. Makes a world of difference. A Cap would really do sweet FA for what you would pay. You would only really want a 1.5-2 farrad cap. if you did want to waste the money... That's my 2c worth...

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Well thats right it is just everyones opinions ... caps have been proven to improve SPL figures, increase battery life, reduce the impacts on equipment making those components such as cables etc endure a longer life (meaning higher chance of achieveing the maximum capacity current flow for your cabling).

YES caps will correct headlight dimmin due to surge current demands from car audio components also been proven on CAA and other audio related websites....however in saying that im not saying this is the rock solid only fix out there....there are literally loads of variables that come into play....cable capacity, cable lengths, shielding, grounding, terminal size - for current dispersion....fittings, battery capacity and varied output ratings at specific instances such as cold and continual, alternator output current rating, etc etc

Ppl that get in the mindset that caps are a useless waste of money are just kidding themselves...like saying overpriced monster audio cable is a joke...its not there are scenarios where this equipment can be used to benefit and can even be essential... the 25Farad cap I run in my system at the moment is more than enough room to play with but I plan to upgrade components later...even with the cap in an spl run i blew 2x 200A ANL fuses due to the system drawing more than my fuse block was setup to take..did this twice with dual 200A fuses...now run 2x 250A and shes sweet....but even 200A thats a s**t load of current draw.

And I know of other guys who have huge systems and almost all have at least 5 farad caps...

For the original post in this thread a 25 farad cap is way over kill as his system will be drawing no where near the caps capacity in Watts even at peak times...

A 1 farad to 5 farad will do fine (personally i wouldnt bother if ya gonna choose a 1 farad)....25farad caps are really rated at systems producing from 2500w RMS n up more towards the 4000w mark and yes have been proven to improve many variables....so please dont dis em because of someone elses opinion you have read somewhere without testing one your self ...every circumstance differs....you may benefit from one and u may not such as life

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:18 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
It really is sad when people want doof doof yet they don't understand how their doof doof is being created.... .

Sorry i aint a car audio wiz!! :?
Thats prob the reason i'm on here to get people opinions so yeah..

Thanks for your opinions but!! I'll see how she goes without a cap n yeh

Installing it alll hopefully tomorrow fingers crossed..
Oh yeah i'm going to upgrade the splits in me door/dash, wat are peoples ideas on this?? what experiences have u had with wat speaker?
I dont want to be putting in any spacers or cutting holes or anything like that

cheers

Connors

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

stupid home hardware blokes cut out the circles for the subs wrong... i dont have a jigsaw or anythen so gotta wait till monday for them to be done:(

Connors

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Sorry man... didn't mean it in that way. We all start somewhere and learn as we go along. Just sucks not knowing is what I meant. I'm sure you can relate

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next