New Idea for Jaycar 8" $40 drivers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: New Idea for Jaycar 8" $40 drivers
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

Okay, for the past week, I have had an 8" Jaycar driver in a dodgy old ported home speaker box, running of my amp to save space while on a road trip. This sub combination makes excellent low volume low frequency response (get it?). It seems to play higher volumes of bass at a lower level than my 12" MTX ported could.....

My idea is this. Fibreglass two 4 or 5 or whatever Litre Icecream containers inside and out, with an MDF Baffle and mount two 8" Jaycar drivers underneath the parcel shelf to replace your normal 6" speakers.

Has anyone tried this before and had a decent result? It wouldn't cost much - so if i get to it with some spare money and time, I'll make a tute and let you all know?

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

What's a MDF Baffle?
Prolem with replacingh the rear speakers with subs is your rear passengers loose there treble and mid range. But for the people in the front should be good I guess, Maybe just fit one in the stock sub possition in the middle and box underneath?

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:10 am 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

well, my sub box is behind the seats - under that opening. I couldn't fit the enclosure there if i tried. An MDF baffle, is the part that the speaker screws to.

The front panel of your sub box is a baffle. The parcel shelf is a baffle. And if you wanted to mount front speakers in a falcon better, you might cut out a bit of a panel, screw it to the speakers screw holes, cut a hole and mount your speaker to that instead.

I don't have rear passengers very often - and If i do - i can't have music in the back because we can't hear each other talking. And anyways - screw them! ;) I'm the one driving - I deserve to listen to what I want :D

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

isnt baffle got to do with the size of the enclosure??? ie: infinite baffle.

‮‮

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

Unless I'm totally off track - that's one of those names that doesn't exactly explain itself well. I think that the name "Infinite baffle" refers to literally that. You can have a baffle of infinate size, as long as it has a baffle. All a baffle does is stop rear waves coming forwards and meeting the forwards waves. (referred to cancellation afaik)

So yeah, if you mounted your speakers in a door pods like in a commodore, the circle that it mounts to is the baffle.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]