Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: New JVC Headunit problem, Radio fades in and out as I drive
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

After searching up to the 33rd page on this forum and couldn't find the answer to my question I've decided to post it up.

The problem is with my new JVC Headunit.

When I put the radio on the sound fades in and out as you move around in the car, as well as when you drive along.

It was perfectly fine when I had my old headunit in, its only since I replaced it with the JVC one.

Could it be the antenna wiring or could it be a fault with the stereo? don't worry I've got plenty of warranty with it (3 years).

Anymore info that could be needed to help solve the problem don't hesitate to ask :).

James

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

more info required.

Only FM?
Amp?
Current Config?
Model Number?

List all the details you can, as someone else my have had a similar issue.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
more info required.

Only FM?
Amp?
Current Config?
Model Number?

List all the details you can, as someone else my have had a similar issue.

As far as I know it's only FM. I'll comfirm that in the next hour.
If you mean an aftermarket amp to run subs then no I don't have one.

Current config is simple. headunit wired to the the plug that connects to the old factory system, then to the front speakers, then to the rear's (they aren't connected) but its basically the same as an ordinary system.

The car is an ED Fairmont so no factory amp either.

Give me an hour or 2 (hopefully during quarter or half time while the footy is on tonight.. GO GEELONG! SMASH THE f**k GAY HAWKS!) and I'll put down the model number.

James

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'd take a punt, maybe the antenna plugs come out of the rear of the head unit.

Also some have a joiner near the passenger footwell.

go the hack and follow the coaxial route from the antenna.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
I'd take a punt, maybe the antenna plugs come out of the rear of the head unit.

Also some have a joiner near the passenger footwell.

go the hack and follow the coaxial route from the antenna.

There is certainly an antenna plug that connects to the rear of the headunit. And yes you are correct in saying that there is a joiner at the passenger footwell. I have played with those connections and the problem didn't get any better.

The JVC headunit model number is: KD-G446
I'll let everyone know when the footy's at half time weather the problem occurs on the AM band aswell.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

does it happen when u slow down and get louder when u speed up, friends of mine has that as a feature. dunoo if yours would have the same.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lil_lincoln wrote:
does it happen when u slow down and get louder when u speed up, friends of mine has that as a feature. dunoo if yours would have the same.

No its like there are heaps of tree's around, when I pass a tree or some building it happens. Its like its a poor reception. But it can't be because my old headunit didn't do this. I've also noticed that when I was playing with it yesterday I touched it with a magnetic screw driver and the reception improved heaps. And as soon as I take away the contact then it goes s**t again.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Some radios, especially aftermarket ones have pretty poor tuners, so to maximise it's potential so make sure that the grounds are good on the headunit and the aerial and make sure that the connectors are clean and are corrosion free.
Also see if it makes any difference whether the aerial is all the way up or not, so if that makes no difference and the connectors are all good and are plugged in then the problem is obviously in the headunit....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
Some radios, especially aftermarket ones have pretty poor tuners, so to maximise it's potential so make sure that the grounds are good on the headunit and the aerial and make sure that the connectors are clean and are corrosion free.
Also see if it makes any difference whether the aerial is all the way up or not, so if that makes no difference and the connectors are all good and are plugged in then the problem is obviously in the headunit....

I'll check the connectors now as there is a tiny bit of daylight left.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well I found a earth that I assumed was for the aerial that wasn't connected so I went up to the shed and got a small bolt (dads got a stack load of scabbed up bolts and nuts :lol:) and earthed it. But the problem still persisted.

But having a play with the aerial showed that if I moved the aerial so that the motor case touched metal it came good but when I took it away it played up.

Is there supposed to be a bracket that stops the aerial moving so much?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
Well I found a earth that I assumed was for the aerial that wasn't connected so I went up to the shed and got a small bolt (dads got a stack load of scabbed up bolts and nuts :lol:) and earthed it. But the problem still persisted.

But having a play with the aerial showed that if I moved the aerial so that the motor case touched metal it came good but when I took it away it played up.

I would assume so but I think that it is most likely a ground issue at the aerial by the sounds of it......

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
SpeedyED wrote:

I would assume so but I think that it is most likely a ground issue at the aerial by the sounds of it......

Yeah there was definatly a ground looking wire that wasn't connected where it should be.

I'll put electrical contact cleaner on it aswell and see if that helps.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]