Fordmods Logo

New Sound System in 1995 EF Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: New Sound System in 1995 EF Falcon
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

WA, Australia

Hey so i am looking at putting a sound system into my 1995 EF Falcon and would like to hear your opinions on the equipment I have chosen so far

Headunit: CDE – 137BT – $368.88
F/Speakers: SPR – 60C Type R 6.5'' Component – $228.85
R/Speakers: Wont get these for a little while (but probably SPR-60)
Amp – MXR – V70 – $374.85
Sub: SWR-12D4 12" – $298.85

prices from an online US site

hoping to hear what you think. im open to any suggestions of changes

Thanks for any replies. This is my first post so I hope I did things right

p.s. As a side note any tips on the best (and cleanest way without too much modding) to install the speakers and tweeters.

Last edited by The Scarecrow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Sound System in 1995 EF Falcon
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Front mounting depth is 56mm from what I have read. Dont think they will fit in the doors of an Ef without spacers. They also being 110w rms will produce a huge amount of bass for the doors and unless your prepared to go to town with some dynomat your going to get allot of rattles and a s**t sound. Lastly, if they are a true 6.5" they will not fit in the front doors seeing they are designed for 6" ( some 6.5" are actually 6" speakers with just an extra 1/2 inch mounting bracket stuck around the speaker).
My advise, unless your prepared to spend a few hundred on dynomat stick with the bass coming from the rear's and woofer and concentrate a mid to high sound for the doors and front tweeters ( if your keen on tweeters for the front).
Lastly, do yourself a favor and go to Jaycar and check out there " response" branded speakers. Allot cheaper than the Alpine's your looking at and will piss all over them if thats the type of speaker your hearts set on. Jaycar response Kevlar 6.5" components are under $100 and world wide award winning.
Big brands dont always mean quality dude. Also read up on connecting amps and speaker impedance. Will save you time and money on blowing s**t up. Easy to find on the net.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

what brand is it?

If anything, with speakers, go Morel.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK dude, im 33 and have been rooting around with audio stuff all my life. I am no expert but know enough. The prices you have given, we are talking around $1200+ for the lot after exchange and then you have postage on top so maybe even more than $1200. Thats allot of dosh for a deck, amp, pair of speakers and a sub in my books. Give me $1200 and Id have a sound come out of your car that would blow you away. Price does not depict excellent sound or quality.
Few things you have to understand, your car's cabin is like 1 big speaker enclosure made of thin metal. The more sound you put into that enclosure the more it will bounce around and without deadening the entire cabin EVERYTHING will shake to the point of degrading sound. Also the cabin is not designed like a speaker enclosure so the more wattage to put into it the worse it will sound.
Next, speakers work best in a designated volume enclosure. Your doors will never be sealed unless you permanently seal the windows and remove all the s**t inside i.e door lock shafts, winder assembly etc to stop them shaking.
Take some advise, dont judge you system on how much you spend but on the smart decisions you make. You buy a set of Jaycar 6.5" components for the rears, a set of dual cone 6" for the doors, decent tweeters in the dash, a decent 12" sub and enclosure and run it all off either a 5 channel amp or a Response 4 channel amp and a monoblock you will be blown away. Spend some cash on some Dynomat for the boot, cut a piece about 1" wider than the door speakers and stick behind the speakers to the door the seal them. Job done with change out of your budget and the sound will blow you away.
WA has some cheap s**t mate, I got a set of new JBL 6.5" 3 ways from WA for $70. They have Kevlar cones and are rated at 125w rms. Check your local for what speakers they use, they will be JBL because of the quality and they are renown to produce the same sound either at low volume or flat out.
All I am saying is dont fall into the hype of the more you spend the better it is. I had a set of 6.5" Sony shallow mounts I bought for $25 from Ryda.com.au and they sounded awesome in my doors running 60w rms. If you go in with an open wallet and no knowledge you will be taken for a ride, if you just spend the big buck and not know what your doing your asking for disappointment.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Is that you on whirlpool? Same name. Take the advise on Response stuff. I had a pair of response 6.5" components in the doors of a Tj for about 5 minutes and they removed the outer metal from the side intrusion bars with the amount of bass they produced. I sold them because I wanted 6" for the shelf of the Ef but ended up getting 6.5" anyway. I miss those speakers and you will not be disappointed with the Response stuff.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Also the amp you have quoted, the MRX-V70. Its a max power output of 60w x4 at 4 ohm. With the 110w speaker you have listed for your front doors you will find you will " clip" the amp when you pump it. Read up about amp clipping and frequencies and you will understand when your clipping an amp you will f**k not only the amp but also the speakers aswell.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

there was a guide on here about fitting speakers to front of ef/l's, and im pretty sure it said the depth was 72mm, and a 12mm could be added and still fit behind door trim. i cant find the link though.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

Found it. Have a look through this post, i found it really helpful. ford-audio-visual-f5/tutorial-6-wiring-capacitors-door-sub-box-measurements-t18188.html?hilit=72mm

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

WA, Australia

[quote="79raven"]Is that you on whirlpool? Same name.

.... possibly. I was just looking for a different set of views and opinions. Although it turns out the I have got a leak in the head gasket so I am putting this project on hold until I decide to either get it fixed or ditch the car :-( . I may post a thread on doing that and/ or doing a pressure test.

Thanks guys for all the input. :-)

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

The Scarecrow wrote:
Hey so i am looking at putting a sound system into my 1995 EF Falcon and would like to hear your opinions on the equipment I have chosen so far

Headunit: CDE – 137BT – $368.88
F/Speakers: SPR – 60C Type R 6.5'' Component – $228.85
R/Speakers: Wont get these for a little while (but probably SPR-60)
Amp – MXR – V70 – $374.85
Sub: SWR-12D4 12" – $298.85

prices from an online US site

hoping to hear what you think. im open to any suggestions of changes

Thanks for any replies. This is my first post so I hope I did things right

p.s. As a side note any tips on the best (and cleanest way without too much modding) to install the speakers and tweeters.

Dumb question... why f**k around with a US site when the items can be had for the same price in oz.
I am looking at that same amp for my car... The best price I could find was ryda. They have it for $368.85
http://www.ryda.com.au/Alpine-MRX-V70-1 ... mrxv70.htm

They have your head unit for the same price too. I know you are on the wrong side of the country, but see if your local stores can match Ryda's pricing.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Im still trying to work out why buy this amp anyway. Power output is:
Power Rating: 60W RMS x 4 + 250W RMS x 1 (4-ohm, 14.4V at <1% THD+N)
RMS Power Ratings

Per channel into 4 Ohms: 60W RMS x 4 + 250W RMS x 1 (14.4V at <1% THD+N)
Per channel into 2 Ohms: 90W RMS x 4 + 350W RMS x 1 (14.4V at <1% THD+N)
Bridged 4 Ohms: 180W RMS x 2 (14.4V at <1% THD+N)
60w rms wont be enough to power the 75w speakers you were looking at OP, nor the 75w Response you have seymore. Thats info coming from the Alpine site too.
This response 5 channel amp off ebay new will do the same if not better with the same spec's ( larger sub output though in the response amp) and its $270 delivered to your door. That saves another $100 compared to the alpine one.......
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RESPONSE-AA0 ... 5655bb11fb
Anyway, 60w rms aint going to be enough to power the 75w speakers and you will have clipping on your amp if it gets pushed, meaning f**k speakers and amp in the long run.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Always Falcons.

VIC, Australia

I know this is super old, but I had to add my two cents...
I have 6.5" 100w speakers in my EFs front doors, without issues, without spacers, and up untill recently, without any dynamat or the like... And they FRIKKEN PUMP! Sound really, really good, and they were installed originally by a complete goober hack!
So im hoping after ive finished inside the doors, it should sound even better.

How'd you go anyway? Only thing ive ever had to "modify" is new screw holes...

EF2 XR8 Lowered on Genuine EL GT 17", Slotted + Drilled all round, Custom retrimmed ghia interior, competition stereo, DiFillipo headers, hi-flow cats, single muffler 3", K&N, custom maf/induction and rear window venetian

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]