Fordmods Logo

No power to Amp? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: No power to Amp?
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

In my EA I wired up my amp, took me 5 hours to rip the system out of my old car, clean up the interior of my falcon and rewire my amp. The only difference between this set up is i'm waiting for a certain adaptor for my headunit, will the stock unit have trouble powering the amp? Also, I haven't wired up the control wire because I forgot what coloured wire to join it to behind the headunit, would that stop it getting power? The blue light on the top isn't lighting up and i'm stumped.

Post subject: Re: No power to Amp?
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Headunit wont affect the amp (other than lack of RCAs).
If you havent got the trigger wire hooked up the amp will not turn on.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

when i done my stereo in my ef fairmont ghia the headunits trigger wire was blue, so was the factory premium sound's wiring loom the trigger there was blue as well.

EDIT: i have a PIONEER DEH-P2600 headunit hooked up tp the factory amp (new amp going in soon)

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

There is no "Amp remote wire" pre-layed in the car, so you will have had to pull your own in...
The Pioneer wiring looms are all very similar, if not the same between a large chunk of their models...
ITs their standard 16-pin, they all use the same colours etc.. If its a Pioneer headunit, your looking for the Blue cable w/ White stripe coming from the back of the headunit, to attach to your amp remote cable :)

EDIT:
Actually I found a 16-pin Sony plug here also, it also appears to use the same Blue wire w/ White strip for its amp remote...

Factory headunits do not have an amp remote wire, if you have a Fairmont (Or the right wire) you can use the +12v Power Antenna cable as an amp remote wire, as it powers on and off with the headunit just like the amp remote wire...

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

or power it off the 12v supply to the cigarettte lighter

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Worthwhile to note, if you hardwire your amp remote or headunit +12v line into the accesory power plug available from the cigarette lighter, your amps will turn on whenever the car is turned to accessory mode, even if the headunit is turned off...
I have seen an amp catch fire by being left on like that, on a long drive...
If you need to splice off that line, get yourself a SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) switch from Jaycar and stick that somewhere nearby to turn power to the amps on/off :)

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

i had that setup in my old civic goin for about 3 or 4 years and my amps always went fine never got hot or anything, when ever i was in the car the stereo was on anyways, so even if i did have the head unit off it doesnt do the amps any harm them being on... if anything the amps would only get too hot or catch fire when being used wayy too harshly and too much getting drawn from them. other then that i think its fine

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Ace wrote:
Worthwhile to note, if you hardwire your amp remote or headunit +12v line into the accesory power plug available from the cigarette lighter, your amps will turn on whenever the car is turned to accessory mode, even if the headunit is turned off...

There was a serious issue with the amp if that happened.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yep i agree with you krisisdog

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Ace wrote:
If you need to splice off that line, get yourself a SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) switch from Jaycar and stick that somewhere nearby to turn power to the amps on/off :)

How can an amplifier catch fire at idle without a serious fault inside the amp????

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]