Fordmods Logo

NOOB question that I just have to ask about monoblocks 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: NOOB question that I just have to ask about monoblocks
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Ok this is a question that has been annoying me for a while now and I haven't asked it as yet as it is a total noob question. I have been wondering it again lately as I have just bought some new subs for my car. Basically I want to know why if I have two subs do I just get one monoblock amp to run them both off of when you also have a left and a right sub rca output on the head unit. Do the monoblock amps still take both channels from the head unit or is there only one rca input? Wouldn't it be better to have two monoblocks (one per channel) so that it stays stereo? I know that low frequencies are less directional so I am guessing that possibly you wouldn't tell the difference between two stereo subs with separate amps and two subs with the two channels combined on one amp. For example if you have a bass kick which changes from left to right channels in quick succession would it be a noticable difference?

Basically would there be a positive in having two amps (one per sub) or would it be far outweighed by the cost factor or would there be no difference whatsoever?

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

most bass beats are in mono and bass is really hard to tell where its coming from, in a car you would be to difficult to notice bass fading left and right you would have to sit between them, from my knowledge they fade the mid bass from left to right in music to give you the feel that the bass fading across, others may be able to correct what i have got wrong,

one amp or two, well it depends on what you want and what subs you have to get the right ohms, and yeah on my mono block it has left and right it combines them in the amp so you hear all the bass notes not just one channel,

if you spent a grand on two subs and a grand on two amps you would get as much output if you spent a grand on one sub and one amp, i have a high powered single sub setup and it goers better than many twin sub setups that i have heard

more than one sub is good for show nothing looks better than a couple of subs firing at the same time but if you spend all that money on a single setup you will be pleased,

but others like pyroay will be able to add more

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dsheps83 wrote:
more than one sub is good for show

My monoblock amp pumped out slightly more power when running 2 subs as opposed to one by itself.

Something to do with 4ohms to 2ohms or some s**t, i dont know, theres my limit of expertise......

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

yeah it will there are many variations like my amp at 4ohms is 300wrms but the same at 1ohm is 1200wrms 4ohms was 600wrms i think

so having one 4ohm sub it would be getting 300wrms
if you had two 4ohm subs they both would be getting 300wmrs each

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:22 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

No real reason to run subs in 'stereo'. You won't be able to tell, and multi channel head units only give you one RCA for subs anyway (even on the real top end gear).

Speaking from my experience competing in CAASQ (sound quality, it's not all about the doof doof), no one runs multiple channels for subs.

The reason for more amps, is so you can run more subs, or if you've got a really powerful sub, so you can give it as much power as it wants so you can go loud.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

As I thought you wouldn't be able to tell anyway. Had to ask though thanks guys.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Most bass is mono, on the off chance that you find some music that does have stereo bass it would be almost impossible to decifer that is in fact stereo in a car anyway, maybe a good home system or headphones will give you the stereo bass but not car subwoofers.
If you really did want stereo bass in a car you need some really good mid bass drivers up front and this will give you stereo bass.
As for the sub outs on a head unit they do give a pair of outputs L + R but this is generally regarded as 1 output as they class pairs as 1 so front and rear stereo rca outputs are counted as 2 sets.
Now with your mono block amps you run multiple subs off the mono block to load it down so it puts out more power they usually rate them for a specific impedance so if you load it to that impedance then that is what you should expect to get from the amp.

I hope that helps some...

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

you will be better having one monoblock as long as the subs are wired such that they don't have a resistance lower than the minimum required for the amp. For example if u have 2 single voice coil subs that are 4ohms each, then if you wire them in parallel you get 2ohms which is sweet for most monoblocks. If you have dual voice coil subs that are 4 ohm each, then you wire each voice coil in parallel, then each sub in parallel you will get 1ohm, which is alright for some monoblocks.

In the amps sticky at the top it explains how resistance and power works pretty well, but pretty much the rule is in a perfect environment if you halved resistance, power would double...but that isnt how it happens in the real world. The downside is with lower resistance and more power comes more heat and the amps control over the sub (damping factor) is lessened hence more distortion

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I just bought 2 12 inch Soundstream Reference R1 subs. Pretty sure they are twin 4 ohm voice coils rated at 800WRMS. Very nice looking subs. Don't know when I will be able to afford the amp and install though. A guy from Soundstream over in New Zealand that I was talking to recommended the XXX-6500d amp which would be very nice but it has a RRP price of around $5000 to $6000!! I was more after SQ than SPL with these subs and I am not sure whether this amp would be any good for SQ as it looks to be more focused towards SPL. I am not entering any comps or anything like that I have just always wanted a good system. I want to stay all Soundstream as that is what the rest of my gear is. I am open to suggestions on an amp for these subs if anyone has any.

Cheers.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:30 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

No need for uber power in a SQ setup. You want a amp with good control (low distortion), and some would wire a DVC sub in series to return an 8ohm load resulting in less power for is easier for an amp to control.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

You might check out the alpine amps they have some good output here are two links all are about $900 - $1000 and are digital monoblock amps

http://www.alpine.com.au/products/produ ... odelID=262

http://www.alpine.com.au/products/produ ... odelID=262

don't know about your preferance but in my opinion Alpine all the way, My alpine deck s**t's all over my mates top of the line pioneer

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

by the way both offer 110DB sensitivity

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks for your replies but I think I might have a talk with a good installer about which way I want to take this so that I don't end up screwing myself over by getting the wrong parts. Cheers anyway for answering the original question.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:48 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

howsie wrote:
don't know about your preferance but in my opinion Alpine all the way, My alpine deck s**t's all over my mates top of the line pioneer

How do you quantify that? Alpines are good (not doubting that), but many SQ competitors use Eclipse and Pioneer as well.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

For me personally Pioneer go for too much bling before sound quality...

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next