Fordmods Logo

Optima Battery Questions 

Page 1 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Optima Battery Questions
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

OK i did a quick forum search and have been browsing the optima website.
But i cant figure out which battery to get, atm i am looking at:

D34 to big to fit in battery box, but will still fit in factory bracket. (i think)
D35 which i think will fit in the standard box and has the correct terminals (SAE/BCI) which i think means poles.
D75 which seems to be identical to the 35 but has GM, type side screw in connectors as well (don't need).

But i have read on the forums the 75 is meant to fit into fords and the 35 will go in a crummidore. so i am bit bit confused... but if i can fit a d34 with out too much stuffing around that's prolly what i will do.

Any info would be appreciated :D

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

I too need to know which will be the best one to get; need one asap also; anyone know where to get good pricing in Melb on these optimas?
Im sick and tired of being quoted 450-600 for the bloody things when i know they can be had for cheaper lol!

I also heard there is a new range which has a ford specific one which will the goer; but dont know if this is true and or its yet released..?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

I'd get a yellow top over a red top ..... depends on the application and remeber its not that hard or costly to get a new battery box setup,mod your battery area or even relocate it to the boot.

Realluy depends on ewhat u want it for.....if u dont have a big audio/video in car system and its primarily for starting the car, decent driving lights etc than no point in spending $400-$600.

Also Optima isnt the only brand another big performer is Odyssey.

Why have a battery like an optima yellow top outputting 800 odd cca (cold crankin amps) when u only need one that does 200-400 ??

Let me know more along the lines of what you want it for anyhow

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Well i do have a big stereo and i do quite a bit of camping so i sometimes run a firdge/light etc. So i do need a bit of RC in a battery.
Plus my current battery is rooted.. it will "just" start my car in the mornings and if left over a weekend it just turns over the engine! :roll:

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mako wrote:
Well i do have a big stereo and i do quite a bit of camping so i sometimes run a firdge/light etc. So i do need a bit of RC in a battery.
Plus my current battery is rooted.. it will "just" start my car in the mornings and if left over a weekend it just turns over the engine! :roll:

Ok fair enough well the red top optima is an actual "starter" batter but the yellow tops are for general purpose use and have higher outputs.

Do you know roughly what sorta current draw your system has or how many watts it is....maybe list what equuipment u have...to see.

well i think a 450cca to 650 cca odyssey is still a gel cell and almost half the size of the normal bosch/century batteries u will find in a falcon and somuch better....these sell for as cheap as $300

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

What model you reccomend for my car; gets short trips so doesnt kick over right away, takes cpl of secs.. If left more than 2 days wont start (dead battery) and i run incar DVD with only one sub waiting to go in; 2 amps but i also run underdrive pulleys so voltage drops at idle..

Main issue im trying to fix here is the time taking to start and the fact i cant leave things going for too long (dvd) without starting engine to keep the battery from death lol.

I know battery hsould be able to fix if they are what they are cracked up to be as when i got this one new, all was good but didnt last long..

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I'm looking at a 2 battery setup with an automatic cutoff, that'll disconnect the second batt when there's no charge voltage (ie less than about 13v).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
What model you reccomend for my car; gets short trips so doesnt kick over right away, takes cpl of secs.. If left more than 2 days wont start (dead battery) and i run incar DVD with only one sub waiting to go in; 2 amps but i also run underdrive pulleys so voltage drops at idle..

Main issue im trying to fix here is the time taking to start and the fact i cant leave things going for too long (dvd) without starting engine to keep the battery from death lol.

I know battery hsould be able to fix if they are what they are cracked up to be as when i got this one new, all was good but didnt last long..

Mate Id spend at least 300 and get a good odyssey or optima...sorry I dont have exact models and prices might be able to track what you may be looking for down this weekend tho

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I'm looking at a 2 battery setup with an automatic cutoff, that'll disconnect the second batt when there's no charge voltage (ie less than about 13v).

Good stuff...not that hard to setup either or you can have the relay link the batteries say if your starter battery was flat to then kick in the 2nd battery to start the car and assist charge the dead one.

U can just have them setup too so that the 2nd only ever kicks in when the car is running not just accessory mode

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

I was going to start this thread a couple of days ago :)

I believe red top are for general car use, and yellow are for quite extreme applications. I thought the specs on the red tops looked a bit better? But I'm still confused about what the best choice is.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XRated wrote:
I was going to start this thread a couple of days ago :)

I believe red top are for general car use, and yellow are for quite extreme applications. I thought the specs on the red tops looked a bit better? But I'm still confused about what the best choice is.

Sort of the red top are for general use and a more suited to starter applications....the yellow tops dont necassirly have to be for the extreme uses but they do have higher outputs and are for dual starter purposes.....

If optima seems to be most peoples choice the. below is the outputs in the first 10-15 seconds..

Yellow top:
D34/78 and D34 both have a cca (cold cranking amp) value of 750 @ -17'C
D34/78 and D34 both have a ca (cranking amp) value of 870 @ 0'c

Red top
D34/78 and D34/34R both have a cca (cold crankin amp) value of 800 @ -17'C
D34/78 and D34/34R both have a ca (cranking amp) value of 1000 @ 0'c

After this period the consistent output of a yellow top is higher...yellow tops also have a slightly higher reserve capacity and is why they are known as deep cycle batteries

There is also HCA (Hot cranking amps) which is more relevant I will have to do some research to get the optima values...HCA values are taken at 27'c

Odyssey have 3 common models

PC 625 CA - 350 CCA - 265 HCA - 440
PC 925 CA - 500 CCA - 380 HCA - 625
PC 1200 CA - 725 CCA - 550 HCA - 860

Odyssies are cheaper and slightly smaller meaning they have asmaller reserve capacity.

The PC625 and 925 im sure will fit in the factory location but im not certain on the PC 1200 might be abit big

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

also I f iwasnt so tired i would try and research some prices :wink: .... if u ring a local car audio store or battery/auto-electrical supplier they should be able to give you an idea on some costs

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

lol stop being lazy and call your local sparky..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

One Drone wrote:
lol stop being lazy and call your local sparky..

Yeah any auto electrician or battery suplier should be able to help out

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Might have to have a yarn to Aaron (PYROAY) and have another CAR AUDIO tutorial sticky added titled POWER!! and details batteries, cabling, dstribution,fuses and capacitors.......then the last 2 stickies I guess would be Video/Multimedia and then Design (fabrication and styling of pods, boxes, racks etc with lighting ).....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next