Fordmods Logo

Perspex 

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

All these uneducated comments. Glass is much better to use and if you think you can hear the difference between glass and perspex in a subwoofer enclosure, you're kidding yourself.

Yeah, perspex is easier to work with, that is pretty much the only benefit of it. Glass is tougher, less scratch resistent, 10mm glass is about as strong as 25mm perspex. You don't have to worry about cracking from subs if you use the right thickness glass.

Look at high end installs... It's usually glass.

TwinturboBMX... Get glass etched and you get the same effects.

But pick whatever suits your needs. Just don't take what people say on forums as fact :)

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
All these uneducated comments. Glass is much better to use and if you think you can hear the difference between glass and perspex in a subwoofer enclosure, you're kidding yourself.

Yeah, perspex is easier to work with, that is pretty much the only benefit of it. Glass is tougher, less scratch resistent, 10mm glass is about as strong as 25mm perspex. You don't have to worry about cracking from subs if you use the right thickness glass.

Look at high end installs... It's usually glass.

TwinturboBMX... Get glass etched and you get the same effects.

But pick whatever suits your needs. Just don't take what people say on forums as fact :)

so its cool if we dont take what your saying as fact?

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Well im not gonna have a crack at u either stone as I know you are knowledgable in the error but id be reluctant to make claims regarding members education in the area...what solid facts to you have to support your acusation that glass doesnt in fact sound any different?

Really in the end does it matter... perspex is the most common and in the case of this install glass isnt a requirement...either will do...comes down to his budget and so forth...

Plus like anything professionals and alike all regardless of "facts" will have their own preferences for the experiences they have had.

Im trying to sell a Wolf 3D EMS...these are one of the best EMS to buy and are highly reputable...yet some of asutralia most renowned ECU installers and tuners dismiss them yet other praise it....even tho they all know its a very decent and quality product....just comes down to exposure and experience with a given product....I wouldnt be quick to point any fingers

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Im trying to sell a Wolf 3D EMS...

cheap advertising kev :P yeh im gonna stick with perspex, be looking to get it in a few weeks... and in case ppl r confused, im not using it in the sub enclosure, its gonna go between 2 sub boxes to sorta, make an empty spot behind it where my amp is so with some good lighting should look quite good I think

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

eb_guy888 wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
Im trying to sell a Wolf 3D EMS...

cheap advertising kev :P yeh im gonna stick with perspex, be looking to get it in a few weeks... and in case ppl r confused, im not using it in the sub enclosure, its gonna go between 2 sub boxes to sorta, make an empty spot behind it where my amp is so with some good lighting should look quite good I think

yeh i was just trying to think of soething else but that one for me has come up in the past...and that was b4 i bought it :P ... but yeh...particularly in the case your not using it in a sub enclsoure then id go perspex.....OR Glass but perspex i think would do the trick...for enclosures so long as its thick enough not to flex...as that can impact how it sounds...how were you fitting the glass/plexiglass ? the main dilemna most home diy'ers find is unless you have the right gear glass cannot be drilled....which ideally to make it strong you'd brace it...or have it glued/sealed as well as screwed into watever....so perspex is fine for this however glass tends to crack unless u have a pro or the right tools and pre-do the holes.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

XR6 EF wrote:
so its cool if we dont take what your saying as fact?

Exactly... Don't take what ANYONE on a forum says as fact :)

Big Kev... No solid facts to support my arguement that glass and perspex sound the same, but for the frequency range that a subwoofer plays there is not much chance of any audible difference between glass, perspex, MDF, pine, etc as long as they are solid enough not to flex excessively. I can't really say i've listened for myself because i've never seen two sub boxes the same volume with the same subs, with different types of window.

But anyway, who cares :)

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so what is the point of this forum if we can't offer advice?you are saying that what i said was uneducated but i was basing my comments on 40years of collective work with this product between me and my dad/boss.if you choose not to folllow peoples advice that is your choice but don't slag what others say when they know what there saying.
and the only reason acrylic would fail is installation issues the material will easily withstand the force of subs and if i was to supply it i would offer a money back gaurantee if it was installed properly........

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XR6 EF wrote:
so what is the point of this forum if we can't offer advice?you are saying that what i said was uneducated but i was basing my comments on 40years of collective work with this product between me and my dad/boss.if you choose not to folllow peoples advice that is your choice but don't slag what others say when they know what there saying.
and the only reason acrylic would fail is installation issues the material will easily withstand the force of subs and if i was to supply it i would offer a money back gaurantee if it was installed properly........

Well dude dont worry too much he wasnt saying you directly...adn the comment about the forum is true...but that doesnt stop anyone providing advice over a forum and im sure hes not against that either...as it would contradict what he has done in the past so doubt that.

In the end guys it dont really matter...both will do the job...cost an amount of money and have roughly the same outcome....so long as eb_guy takes care with his installation both will do fine and look good in the end result..so good luck with the project dude...post up the final pics :)

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

XR6 EF wrote:

Sorry, I didn't see where I said people can't offer advice... I said to the person asking the question not to take the advice given as fact. Saying people can't offer advice would be pretty ironic :)

What is your work? Do you make and audition sub boxes constructed with glass and acrylic? Have you done a side by side comparison to hear the difference between the two with the same box, same subs, all variables equal except the glass/acrylic window?

I didn't say anything about acrylic failing... The only thing I don't like about acrylic is that it scratches easily and can't be used if things will be rubbing agaisnt it or sitting on it.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Stone wrote:
XR6 EF wrote:

Sorry, I didn't see where I said people can't offer advice... I said to the person asking the question not to take the advice given as fact. Saying people can't offer advice would be pretty ironic :)

What is your work? Do you make and audition sub boxes constructed with glass and acrylic? Have you done a side by side comparison to hear the difference between the two with the same box, same subs, all variables equal except the glass/acrylic window?

I didn't say anything about acrylic failing... The only thing I don't like about acrylic is that it scratches easily and can't be used if things will be rubbing agaisnt it or sitting on it.

apart from this going far enough and no more needs to be said....i wouldnt post comments that you yourself also can't coincide with..."What is your work? Do you make and audition sub boxes constructed with glass and acrylic? Have you done a side by side comparison to hear the difference between the two with the same box, same subs, all variables equal except the glass/acrylic window? "

but yeh well theres plenty of info, ideas and suggestions here for him to go off anyway hey guys...

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

another reason why I was looking at perspex, its only a small piece I need, probly not even as big as what I mentioned above, and its easier to work with then glass, and yeh, im kinda scared about having glass in my boot lol

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gone way off topic here anyway so i will just say that i would recomend acrylic in my opinion and knowledge of the material,whatever you choose is your option and in the end is your car so will come down to your ability and taste whichever you choose will look good as i reckon clear covers and boxes look sweet in stereo installs.Best of luck with it and make sure you post up pics of it all so we can admire/steal ideas lol!!

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hmm, well i just had some light shed on the subject.

I have a question, im half way thru my boot install and i have access to some double glazed (thats the 2 sheets with perspex inbetween yeah?) 8-12mm thick glass. So pretty much sound proof. Is that a bad idea to put that in my sub box? its going in the back kinda like Pyroay's install, do i really want to sound proof the back of my sub box? or so i want some sound to get thru?

Car Killer.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Big Kev... You don't need to respond to replies not directed at you. eb's question has been answered, but i'd like to know how and why XR6 EF and anyone else think that glass sounds different. Are you just assuming because of it's density? Or do you actually know from experience? What experience is that? I'm actually interested, not going to argue it. I've already said I haven't been able to test, but due to who uses glass and the physics involved, i'm ASSUMING that there would be no audible difference for that frequency range.
Home theatre uses the most dense materials possible so the enclosure is DEAD. Thick glass is very dead, so it seems obvious to me that it is good for audio for that reason.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i personally haven't made any sub enclosure out of glass and have very little understanding of the applications of it,but i have nade various enclosures out of acrylic and they have sounded better than mdf ones of similar size and equipment(subs,amp etc)i based my opinion on the composite of both materials, acrylic has a much lower resonant point and will absorb a lot of the low energy frequency put out through the sub therfore allowing a larger frequency range to be used without distortion due to resonant waves colliding within the enclosure, with a small system it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever so you would really be choosing acrylic due to its price,ease of fabrication amd the fact it has nearly half the mass of glass,now i have no idea of each materials ability to provide higher db i really have no interest in that only i feel that it would produce better sound quality.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next