Fordmods Logo

Please help! sub + amps + gas tank = ??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Please help! sub + amps + gas tank = ???
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

Hey guys and girls!

So I'm getting my LPG done Monday :D which is 6 months earlier than I expected so I need to start thinking about what I'm gonna do with all my sound gear ASAP :cry:

Anyone got any ideas (or preferably pics) of boot set-ups working around a gas tank? Obviously I'm going to have to sacrifice a fair bit of boot space but would like to preserve as much as possible.

Any help you can give is much appreciated!!

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

do you need a spot for your amp??????
i can help with that

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

how much gear etc do you actually need to fit...like would it be possible to mount the amp etc under one of the drivers seats...I had 2x alpine 2 channels mounted under each of the front seats...

As far as subs...rear corner pods can be made up that wont hog too much boot space are good value for moeny and dont cost the world....made to fit 8",10",12" and 15" woofers....they get mounted behind either side tail light...normally the left one so spare wheel access is still nice n easy...the amp can be mounted on the right wall also - normally where the premium sound systems amp is mounted

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

put amp here

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

also a good option...theres plenty of places you can mount amps...

was it only one amp you intended on mounting dude? and on sub ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I mounted my amp in exactly the same spot as EFBIGNIK and its really good and safe too because most thiefs wont look there.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it's out of the way i don't need to look at it every day

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

i did the same as efbignik also.... good because if you need to do any fine tuning you can just pull down the seat, better then mounting it to box...

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Hey guys!

Thanks heaps for all your replies :D :D

At the moment I have one 12" sub and one amp to deal with, but will soon have another amp as I am upgrading the speakers inside the car (getting 6x9's, which I believe is also tricky with the gas tank!) So need space for 2 amps and the one sub.

I think I will sell my current sub and get another one, as you can see from the pics it is in the Pioneer box which I don't think I'll be able to fit (I'd rather not separate it from the box so I will just get another sub).

--While I'm picking your collective brains, can anyone recommend a good 12" sub in the ~$300 range to replace the Pioneer (I have the TSW306C)??

I really like Big Kev's idea about the corner pod on the left. Would be great to still be able to access the spare if I need it, coz that's the reason I'm getting the LPG tank in the boot in the first place! Anyone know any places in Perth that will make me a pod? Around how much am I looking at?

At the moment I have the amp mounted in the spot efbignik suggested but my LPG installer seemed to think there wouldn't be enough room to keep it there. I'm really hoping he's wrong coz I think it's a really good spot. Easy to mount, and away from prying eyes. So I will have to have a look when I get the car back and see. Would it be dangerous keeping it there so close to the gas tank?

Has anyone mounted an amp (or two) to the right hand wall of the AU's boot? If so how did you go about it? I considered doing that before I settled on the behind-the-seats spot but I thought the wall was too bumpy to mount an amp. Will I need to take the carpet off that wall? Or perhaps make some kind of MDF structure to flatten it out a bit? (I'm not a very skilled wood worker!!)

Any other ideas where to put the amp? I did try ages ago to put it under the front passenger seat but I think it was a bit big. Will give it another shot.

Thanks again guys you've been really helpful, I'm still very new at this sort of stuff :D

Pics of my current set-up:

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sub pods/enclosures can range from $250 to $500 depending roughly on materials, the size of the enclosure...difficulty of how you want it moulded and installed and the type of covering/paint....you could also try PMing BOUNCN on this forum as he fabricates pods etc for e-series falcons and a pretty good price...hes in VIC i think so shoot him a pm and se what he says..

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: AUII XR6 VCT

WA, Australia

dunno if this helps but i have gas also and my amp wont fit on the back of the rear seat, theres not enough clearance. so if ur thinkin about doin that just have a back-up plan because its not a definete fit.

www.aufalcon.com/dunkly

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

just mount your amp on your sub box, and if u dont want to see it just turn it round! if ur amp is too big, jus ignor dis lol

Rehab is for quitters !

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

samuel wrote:
just mount your amp on your sub box, and if u dont want to see it just turn it round!

I did think about this, it's a good idea, problem is I'm soon getting another amp and the two won't fit on the box, so I'm back to square one.

The sacrifices we make for cheap fuel! :cry:

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

<bump>

So i got the car back and no, there's not enough room to keep the amp on the back of the rear seats :cry: (On the bright side though I think I can still squeeze in some 6x9's without spacers!)

I'm thinking a new sub on the left-hand side of the boot (to leave access for the spare tyre) and I will make up a panel to flatten out the right hand side of the boot for mounting the amps.

Has anyone out there made up something similar or could give me some pointers as to how to go about it???

...please :D :D :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]