Fordmods Logo

Premium systems & sub woofer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Premium systems & sub woofer
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: NL Concorde

SA, Australia

I am new to this forum & it is great...great to hear people who know what they are talking about thru experience at least!!!
I am told the Premium sub woofer in EL-NL etc needs to go under rear parcel shelf....why for goodness sake cover it with carpet stuff when it has a grille like its neighboring speakers????
How do you take off the parcel shelf to do, or is there a `trick`/short way please. Can someone show via photo or diagram, where the front tweeters go to on head unit....thank you in anticipation!!!!

Post subject: Re: Premium systems & sub woofer
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Welcome to the forum beefer :).

From memory, to remove the rear parcel shelf carpet, you have to remove the rear speakers, the plastic seat belt mouldings, remove the centre rear brake light housing and any baby seat bolts/hooks. Fold the rear seat forward and remove the large plastic covers on either side of the boot access hole. You will also need to remove the the seat belt anchor for the middle seat belt which can be accessed by removing the boot carpet that is attached to the back of the back rest. Remove the anchoring bolt and you should be able to slide the whole seat belt through the hole in the parcel shelf carpet. From there the carpet should just slide out...it might take a bit of effort seeing as it has been there for years and probably stuck in certain locations.

Regarding the front tweeters, the tweeters are located on the dashboard at the bottom of the windshield, on either side of the A-pillars, you'll be able to see a plastic cover with grated holes that runs between the A-pillars, they are located underneath that. You can easily see them standing outside the car and looking down at the top of the dashboard. It is held in place by screws/bolts (I think only 2 on either side, but I haven't touched in years) and plastic clips. You have to remove the screws/bolts and then pull the whole thing away from the windshield, angling slightly upward. Pull away slowly, once it has come loose, unplug the wiring loom for the light sensor. Don't yank too hard, you might brake the wiring loom for the light sensor.

Hope that helps.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Tweeters can be found here under the dashboard extension panel:

And look like this in an EB:

Probably the same in later models.

Cheers,
-Evan.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thans v ery much Evan I think I will get an expert to do tweeters...holy crap...I hope wires are there for a start??? the rear speakers are hard to get at the moment ie Premium....so you are saying a good set of Pioneer 2ways will at least be equal to Premiums???
So can you therefore confirm sub goes under carpet layer even with grill on???

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A good set of 2 ways will out perform the premium system. Premium system just got the amp, subwoofer and better head unit (pretty sure CD changer too), but the speakers were the same as far as I know. ie, premium = more speakers + upgraded head unit.

I am not 100% sure how the subwoofer is mounted on a premium system sorry.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Because you have an NL you should already have tweeters. (the 6 speaker system) So you don't have to worry about getting them unless you want to upgrade to aftermarket component speakers. I got a set and just ran new wiring anyway. I also still retained the use of the factory tweeters along side the aftermarket ones I mounted on the A pillar. I don't know if it is advisable but I feel it gives a good sound.

As for the subwoofer, they are covered due to cost cutting I guess. Otherwise the un-optioned models would have a gaping hole in the middle of the parcel shelf or something like that. Also to keep the system discreet maybe? They also arn't that good looking. So yes they will go under the carpet. They sit lower to the speakers anyway.
Also, good luck finding a factory sub that still has an intact cone surround (The bit that holds the cone in place). You may have to go aftermarket. Or, repair the surround like I did.

If you want to install the full premium sound system, the wiring for the amp won't be there.
And yes, a good set of pioneer 2-ways will be better than the premiums, they are made out of cardboard after all...

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

All I can say is thankyou very much Evan from an old f@rt who now enjoys his final car

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]