Fordmods Logo

Radar detector 

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Radar detector
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:05 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon

WA, Australia

wat are ur opinions on radar detectors i just bought the bell rx 65 off ebay should be here soon

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:03 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

Get caught in QLD and it'll be a $1200 fine :D and you'll lose it, costing you whatever you paid for it.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Also illegal in Vic and NSW. Not sure what the fine is but I hear its pretty steep.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I tested one with a mate a few years ago, not sure what brand....

Worked really good in residential/country areas. Even detected nearby cop cars. Too many false alarms in the city, for example, sensors for automatic doors... but then... who's speeding in built up metro areas anyways? lol

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

most people I talk to who have them (I don't have one) say it has savd them dozens of times.. maybe an exaduration I don't know ... not sure of their legality here in WA.

I guess if you mount it properly out of the way and not tooo obvious your chances of getting picked up are pretty slim.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Except for the fact that most Hwy cars in NSW run RDD's. Just gotta be quick to turn them off and hide them without being noticed. Also never lead the way of a speeding train on the freeway. Sit behind someone else :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

Detectors are legal in WA people... just not allowed to have them obstructing your view.
I think with the model you have bought you can turn off x band, so you dont get too many falsings, so should be good. Just for reference, Ka band is for multinovas and K band if for hand helds and car mounted radar.

I wouldnt trust the detector until you have tried it out on a multinova first though! My sister's boyfriend's was faulty and didnt work at all (his replacement does though)

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: In Transition

NSW, Australia

i (might :wink: )have a uniden RD 3XL however its at least 10yrs old (back in the day when you could buy em from d**k smith) i was wondering whether it can be made to work again, seeing it doesnt (guessing the freq or what ever has been changed)

any help?

(btw its to help me detect emegency vehicle so i can move out of the way earlier :roll: )

Member Since FM 1

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon

WA, Australia

yer there not illegal here in WA so should be good and yes i will definetly test it before i trust is with my licsence

thanks for the fast replies guys

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

tell us how it goes :)

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Leszek wrote:
i (might :wink: )have a uniden RD 3XL however its at least 10yrs old (back in the day when you could buy em from d**k smith) i was wondering whether it can be made to work again, seeing it doesnt (guessing the freq or what ever has been changed)

any help?

(btw its to help me detect emegency vehicle so i can move out of the way earlier :roll: )

Freq is still the same.Problem is will not work on Laser and on speed camera radar you might only get 100 metre warning if you are lucky due to speed cameras using low power,narrow beam.

AU series1 Futura Duel Fuel,ceramic coated Pacemaker Headers,Hi-Flow cat.2.5in. exhaust,T-series snorkel,K&N panel filter,D.B.A.Slotted Rotors

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: In Transition

NSW, Australia

taximan wrote:
Leszek wrote:

any help?

Freq is still the same.Problem is will not work on Laser and on speed camera radar you might only get 100 metre warning if you are lucky due to speed cameras using low power,narrow beam.

the unit however no longer detects accully car (eg police) anymore? anyway of fixing it?

Member Since FM 1

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Leszek wrote:
taximan wrote:
Leszek wrote:

any help?

the unit however no longer detects accully car (eg police) anymore? anyway of fixing it?

Ring Creative Electronics in Sydney or ring Creative in Queensland on 07 3220 3002 should be able to help.

AU series1 Futura Duel Fuel,ceramic coated Pacemaker Headers,Hi-Flow cat.2.5in. exhaust,T-series snorkel,K&N panel filter,D.B.A.Slotted Rotors

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

iI have a Bel 995, not in aussie yet, works great, pick up K band before i see the coppers, K band will drive you mad in the city, picks up every door, Ka is good, at least 500 metres, also POP, which is a laser, which they quickly flash at you, then will lock on if your over limit, picks up road works/emergency vehicles, if they have a transponder, mine cost 600, and is upgradeable, it also has Ku band, which is in use in Europe, and will be here eventually. Also works to the rear, especially on laser.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

yeah another way around them is to get a unit that also has a GPS in it and then u can just say "sorry officer i didn't know it was a radar detector, i bought it for the GPS feature' :wink: :lol:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next