Sealed Or Ported 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Sealed Or Ported
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

whats beeter a sealed sub enclosure or a ported one. atm im running a 400w RMS 12" sub of a 300w RMS coustic 2ch AMP in a sealed box i remember reading somewhere that subs work harder in sealed boxes. also wheni turn it up the bass aint that loud (yes i have adjusted the gains, boost and freq)

any way my question is would i get more bass from a sealed or ported box

cheers

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Sealed boxes a generally for SQ (sound quality) use, and ported boxes are generally used for spl (sound pressure level). Also it could be your amp as well, mabe its not getting enough power to the sub.

Usually for a 400wrms sub you would want to match the ratings, that way its reaching its potensial so get a different amp mabe, try something with a bit more power.

Also mabe you have your amp settings too high as well, you only need to put the gain on about 1/2 way. Other wise you will stuff the amp up and it will go into protection mode.

Hoped that helped you a bit... :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Sealed boxes a generally for SQ (sound quality) use, and ported boxes are generally used for spl (sound pressure level). Also it could be your amp as well, mabe its not getting enough power to the sub.

Usually for a 400wrms sub you would want to match the ratings, that way its reaching its potensial so get a different amp mabe, try something with a bit more power.

Also mabe you have your amp settings too high as well, you only need to put the gain on about 1/2 way. Other wise you will stuff the amp up and it will go into protection mode.

Hoped that helped you a bit... :)

ive currently got the gains set to about 3/4 of the way. it doesnt realy make a difference till about this point, also i would have thought that the sub being 400w and the amp being 300w i should be able to crank the amp right up to max and the sub should be able to take it and some or is this just not the case. obviously im not all that familiar with car audio so any other input is greatly apriciated

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm well i mean with the amp power ratings and all that you dont need to go overboard about 350-400 wrms into a 400wrms sub is more than enough, but if you really want loud bass so much then mabe you should get a big monoblock or something that has like 500-800wrms! :shock:

Monoblocks are what most people would use to power big capacity subs.

Also what freq are you using on the amp? what about your HU does that have sub control?

Post subject: Re: Sealed Or Ported
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:46 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
whats beeter a sealed sub enclosure or a ported one. atm im running a 400w RMS 12" sub of a 300w RMS coustic 2ch AMP in a sealed box i remember reading somewhere that subs work harder in sealed boxes. also wheni turn it up the bass aint that loud (yes i have adjusted the gains, boost and freq)

any way my question is would i get more bass from a sealed or ported box

cheers

Ported enclosures CAN provide more output but it depends on the speaker. It also depends on the enclusoure size. If you change from sealed to ported you may notice a small difference but you will get much greater results by running another sub in a box the same or a more powerfull amplifier with the same sub.

You will find a sealed enclosure provides an air spring effect on a sub and you benefit from increased power handling. Your 400rms sub may be able to handle 500rms or more.....

If you build a ported enclosure make sure you use a computer speaker calculator program or the manufactoror's box specs. If you dont get the port the right size and length then your sub may become unloaded and will quickly become overdriven.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Hmm well i mean with the amp power ratings and all that you dont need to go overboard about 350-400 wrms into a 400wrms sub is more than enough, but if you really want loud bass so much then mabe you should get a big monoblock or something that has like 500-800wrms! :shock:

Monoblocks are what most people would use to power big capacity subs.

Also what freq are you using on the amp? what about your HU does that have sub control?

running the sub on Low Pass and HU only has 2 RCA pre-outs Front and Rear,
but now that i thnk about it amp for te sub is running of the front RCA pre-out BUT ive also got the fron factory splits running of the HU front speaker wire (if that makes sense) could this be affecting anything

hmmmm might trying switching it to the rear rca and see what that does

cheers

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:52 am 

VIC, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
running the sub on Low Pass and HU only has 2 RCA pre-outs Front and Rear,
but now that i thnk about it amp for te sub is running of the front RCA pre-out BUT ive also got the fron factory splits running of the HU front speaker wire (if that makes sense) could this be affecting anything

hmmmm might trying switching it to the rear rca and see what that does

cheers

You can use a front high and low outputs together, the only drawback is that you cannot use the fader to increase the amount of sub without increasing the amount of front stage amplification also.

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm yeah basically what pyro said, buuut do you have ne thing like a seperate sub control switch or fucntion that increases the effectiveness of the sub bass?

Most Alpine HU's (like mine) have this and you can either increase the sub control by 15+ maximum gain or 0 which means no extra sub gain...

Do you have ne thing like that on your HU?

I dont know, not all HU's are the same thou.

If you dont then i would only suggest getting a ported box and or just getting a mono block amp which has something like 400wrms+ for the one channel. That will make the sub work alot harder!

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Hmm yeah basically what pyro said, buuut do you have ne thing like a seperate sub control switch or fucntion that increases the effectiveness of the sub bass?

Most Alpine HU's (like mine) have this and you can either increase the sub control by 15+ maximum gain or 0 which means no extra sub gain...

Do you have ne thing like that on your HU?

I dont know, not all HU's are the same thou.

If you dont then i would only suggest getting a ported box and or just getting a mono block amp which has something like 400wrms+ for the one channel. That will make the sub work alot harder!

yeh ive got a kenwood HU doesnt have sub control at all only has bass function but that increases/decreases bass aross the whole system. ill keep at it i should work out the adjustments that sound best.

thanks for all the help guys appreciate it

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm yeah well i have a 390wrms Alpine sub in a custom sealed box with only a 200wrms amp running it!! Pleantly of bass more than enough.

If your amp is not making that sub work then something is wrong thier.. :?

Just keep adjusting the amp settings and mabe get a different enclosure (if you can get one cheap or borrow one mabe) and try it out.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Hmm yeah well i have a 390wrms Alpine sub in a custom sealed box with only a 200wrms amp running it!! Pleantly of bass more than enough.

If your amp is not making that sub work then something is wrong thier.. :?

Just keep adjusting the amp settings and mabe get a different enclosure (if you can get one cheap or borrow one mabe) and try it out.

yeh might have to do that, my sub box was an of the shelf one. ill have a look for the manual that came with the sub and see if i can get the specs from that

cheers xrfan

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Not a problem happy to help! :) Usually places like Supercheap Auto or Strathfield will make really crap sub enclosures which are made up with nasty materials. Not much good if your trying to get the best possible sound out of your system. Not saying thats where you could of got it from but yeah just a bit of advice :wink:

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:35 am 

VIC, Australia

Cheaply made boxes uses thin material which allows the box to using valuable energy and reducing the output of the sub(s).

Also any perspecs windo'ws tend to flex and also reduce output (unless it's quite thick).

i reccomenend 16mm MDF for all enclosures or thicker if you can (although thicker material starts to get pretty heavy)

Pro Class
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah the box that i had to get made up weighs bloody heaps!! Also pays to make sure thiers pleanty of sound deading inside of the enclosure too. :) Actually if you were interested and had the money Car Toys in SA make really good ported and sealed sub enclosures.

They are of the highest quality. Thier website is www.cartoys.com.au they might be able to send stuff to you, im not sure. Might pay to check it out. :)

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Yeah the box that i had to get made up weighs bloody heaps!! Also pays to make sure thiers pleanty of sound deading inside of the enclosure too. :) Actually if you were interested and had the money Car Toys in SA make really good ported and sealed sub enclosures.

They are of the highest quality. Thier website is www.cartoys.com.au they might be able to send stuff to you, im not sure. Might pay to check it out. :)

ha ha ha funny you should mention sound dedening, coz the deadening that's used in this box kinda looks like a napkin, its real thin and loosly stapled to the walls. i spose that says something about the quality of this box, dam you JB Hi-Fi

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next