Fordmods Logo

sound proofing? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: sound proofing?
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

does any one know where i can get some cheap but also effective sound deading material i want the stick on stuff not the paint on cheers guys

Post subject: Re: sound proofing?
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
does any one know where i can get some cheap but also effective sound deading material i want the stick on stuff not the paint on cheers guys

Any car audio shop mate should be able to organise some 'sound off' or 'dynamat' products for u

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

or you could try bunnings and use flash tac

Post subject: Re: sound proofing?
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:27 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
shoey50 wrote:

Any car audio shop mate should be able to organise some 'dynamat'

Definatley works the best IMO and i have used all of the different types available, inc flashtac, dynamat, stinget roadkill, jaycar stuff, focal and more....

Allow approx $300 to do 2 x front doors properly

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

look on the internet, they sell the whole dynamat car kit for 300 + postage, which in anyones language is a bargan and its awsome stuff

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cooki_monsta wrote:
look on the internet, they sell the whole dynamat car kit for 300 + postage, which in anyones language is a bargan and its awsome stuff

thats sounds like the go whereis that ebay or something?

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

whats that stuff from bunnigs like quality wise and price wise keep in mind i dont really want the best sound proofing out there just something to keep a bit of road noise out and a bit of sound in that sort of thing

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

The stuff from Bunnings, Flashtac, isn't deadener. It's tape used to seal joins on metal roofs, but people use it to add weight to panels. The adhesive isn't as good as proper deadener, so on vertical surfaces after a while it will fail and fall off.

If you can afford $300, definitely go for the Dynamat. If you can't afford that much then there is stuff from Bostik which is cheaper, but less effective. Then Flashtac is less effective again.

Sound deadening sheets are MAINLY used to reduce panel resonances (the annoying vibrations they make in time with your music). If you wish to reduce road noise you may want to install a sound absorbant material on your floor pan, firewall, etc. I used the foam carpet underlay, but I don't think it's recommended as it can absorb water, but if you can get waterproof foam it is perfect.

Sealing up your doors will help alot too. Seal up all access holes with sheet deadener.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

might search around for this dynamat how much do you think i will need to to say the 4 doors boot maybe the floor? is ebay best spot for this stuff? cheers for the info so far guys been very helpfull

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

This is going to sound really lame, but years ago I wanted to sound proof my VW Kombi van!

Being 18 with no cash, I ended up using house removalist blankets (they use them to cover the furniture in the trucks so they don't get scratched, and it is very much like carpet underlay).

I used this stuff to totally line the floor, and this alone made a pretty big difference in road noise. After that I put some sound absorbing panels on the rear engine firewall and on the boot floor (engine directly underneath).

These cheap easy things transformed the old barge into a MUCH quieter car and a good base to then chuck my doof doof system into!

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Private9 wrote:
This is going to sound really lame, but years ago I wanted to sound proof my VW Kombi van!

Being 18 with no cash, I ended up using house removalist blankets (they use them to cover the furniture in the trucks so they don't get scratched, and it is very much like carpet underlay).

I used this stuff to totally line the floor, and this alone made a pretty big difference in road noise. After that I put some sound absorbing panels on the rear engine firewall and on the boot floor (engine directly underneath).

These cheap easy things transformed the old barge into a MUCH quieter car and a good base to then chuck my doof doof system into!

Hehe good way to d it and it would certainly work hence why all carpets have the sound proofing under felt...this meth WOULD work :) but woulndt be anywhere near as effective but could save u some money :)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I've used Flashtac on all four doors, rolls of the stuff. I did it last summer and a year later I've had the trims off for other reasons and not one bit of the Flashtac has failed thus far. In my opinion, the thick adhesive tar, and it is pretty thick with a fairly thick layer of aluminium over ther top, just gets really sticky again as the panels heat right up each summer.
Anyway I'm stoked it worked so well for the money spent, it really cut outside noise down. Unless theres a truck revving out next to you, or a Harley goes past close to you, all I hear is wind and engine noise. Something I will fix this year!

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
cooki_monsta wrote:

thats sounds like the go whereis that ebay or something?

yea sorry forgot to mention that, its an ebay auction :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Kit wrote:
I've used Flashtac on all four doors, rolls of the stuff. I did it last summer and a year later I've had the trims off for other reasons and not one bit of the Flashtac has failed thus far. In my opinion, the thick adhesive tar, and it is pretty thick with a fairly thick layer of aluminium over ther top, just gets really sticky again as the panels heat right up each summer.
Anyway I'm stoked it worked so well for the money spent, it really cut outside noise down. Unless theres a truck revving out next to you, or a Harley goes past close to you, all I hear is wind and engine noise. Something I will fix this year!

so your happy with flashtac then? is that the bunnings one? how much did you need to do your car?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

I was happy with Flashtac and K+H paint on deadener in my 82 VH Commodore because it wasn't worth deadening properly. In my 98 Pulsar I used G-Spot (http://www.gspotperformance.com/) and was happy with it. In my 98 VT Commodore I used RAAMmat (http://www.raammat.com/) and am more than happy with it. I ended up with 3 times the area of 3 Dynamat bulk packs for the same price they would have cost for 1 pack. I did have to wait 10 weeks for it to arrive from the US though :(

Once you've used proper deadener you'll realise Flashtac is junk. You need 2-3 layers to do the same job as one layer of proper stuff.

Also, have a look at the site below as it's pretty interesting. It isn't an Aussie site, but it has a few brands we have over here.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next