Fordmods Logo

Sound system sounding horrible? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Sound system sounding horrible?
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I have a ED falcon GLi Classic and have recently put in some Pioneer 160R component splits (Pioneers best speakers). I also put in a Pioneer 6950IB head unit, back speakers are stock.

Now even though the back speakers are s**t for some reason the fronts distort even with the backs turned off.

Also they just sound cheap and distort easy, the speakers are in perfect condition.

What could be causing this (I also wired it myself but I'm pretty sure I done it correctly.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Do you have the fronts running off an amp? Or straight from the HU?

If its straight off the HU, I would think they are being horribly underpowered, and that would be the problem.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I concur with arm79.

For the speakers to distort could mean that the speakers are over/under powered.

If you try to put the volume up higher then the head unit can handle, then the signal coming out of the outputs of the HU are being clipped causing ugly distortion...

If you don't know what I mean, then just imagine your water tap. If the main water valve thingy outside your house is half open...and you open the tap in the kitchen, the water won't gush out at max, it will splutter in an annoying and inconsistent manner. Open the outside valve to max...and the tap in the kitchen will come out without any splutter.

So...if your HU is not supplying enough power to the speakers, your speakers will splutter :P...so to speak.

Aftermarket component speakers should always run off an amp IMO. If you don't have an amp...then I suggest you just play it a low levels as to not damage anything on the speakers.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmm the speaker volume goes up to 62 and it distorts at say 43 which is frustrating.

The head unit is rated at 50watts RMS which I thought was a lot.

What would be a good amp for my system? (I don't want sound quality to be worse).

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Pioneers distort at about that.

headunit is 50 watts MAX, bout 15rms.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm.

What amp (and amp cabling) would you recommend for my system???

I don't want to jepardise my sound quality.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Any 4 channel amp thats a decent brand should be fine. not boss, sony, bezerk or whatever other crap thats out there.
Alpine, Pioneer, Infinity, DD, SS all make good/great amps. if your only running a speaker amp then 8g cable would be enough. If you plan on adding a big mono eg 1000rms + then 0g would be the go. If you only plan on adding a mono with less than 500rms 4g cable would be good.

If you dont want a mono, but still want a sub bridge the other 2 channels on the 4channel amp.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm Yeah I might be getting a sub down the track.

What is a mono lol?

So channel wise I'd have front speakers on 1 channel, back speakers on 1 channel and sub or subs on 2 channels totalling 4?

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

Actually...Pioneer head units supply the highest RMS outputs...which is about 25-30 I believe, but I could be wrong.

ILLaViTaR if you plan on getting a sub down the track...but want to keep costs low, then get a 4 channel amp as krisisdog said, wire the splits up using 2 channels and bridge the other 2 remaining channels for a single sub. A 4 channel amp is also good in the long run if you want to upgrade later on. you can keep the 4 channel to power your front and rear speakers (once you get aftermarket ones) and then buy a separate amp for the sub/subs.

Quote:
What is a mono lol?

The amp that is mainly made for subwoofers are mono blocks. They are a single channel amp with high outputs.

Quote:
So channel wise I'd have front speakers on 1 channel, back speakers on 1 channel and sub or subs on 2 channels totalling 4?

No. 1 channel PER speaker...not 1 channel per pair of speakers. So 1 channel for the front left speaker, and 1 channel for the front right speaker and then the remaining 2 channels can be either bridged to power a sub, or individual channels to power the rear speakers, wired the same as the front speakers. But if you want to power the rear speakers by an amp, make sure you have aftermarket speakers, the stocks won't last long if you plan to blast the speakers.

hope that helps

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

Actually...Pioneer head units supply the highest RMS outputs...which is about 25-30 I believe, but I could be wrong.

ILLaViTaR if you plan on getting a sub down the track...but want to keep costs low, then get a 4 channel amp as krisisdog said, wire the splits up using 2 channels and bridge the other 2 remaining channels for a single sub. A 4 channel amp is also good in the long run if you want to upgrade later on. you can keep the 4 channel to power your front and rear speakers (once you get aftermarket ones) and then buy a separate amp for the sub/subs.

Quote:
What is a mono lol?

Good answer.....

The amp that is mainly made for subwoofers are mono blocks. They are a single channel amp with high outputs.

Quote:

No. 1 channel PER speaker...not 1 channel per pair of speakers. So 1 channel for the front left speaker, and 1 channel for the front right speaker and then the remaining 2 channels can be either bridged to power a sub, or individual channels to power the rear speakers, wired the same as the front speakers. But if you want to power the rear speakers by an amp, make sure you have aftermarket speakers, the stocks won't last long if you plan to blast the speakers.

hope that helps

phong =P~

Good answer....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

nah, they dont have anywhere near that much punch. the highest RMS from a hu was about 26rms from a 60Wx4 Alpine.
Pioneers distort quite quickly, especially if you play with the EQ settings.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ahhh ok I get it.

Any models of pioneer or alpine amps suggested?

My mate told me amps make the system actually sound better, is this true???

I thought the only thing could do that is a better head unit?

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96' EF Falcon Futura

WA, Australia

Ok, someone needs to go read all the stickies on car audio, and then cruise around on Mobile Electronics Australia for a while. Read all their tech docos.
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php

Knowledge is your friend

I made a signature but I ated it.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeh jump on MEA for a while.

Amps increase the power to the speakers. More power = louder and better control of the speakers which gives them more punch and accuracy.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
ahhh ok I get it.

Any models of pioneer or alpine amps suggested?

My mate told me amps make the system actually sound better, is this true???

I thought the only thing could do that is a better head unit?

Amp is the powerhouse...so make sure you get a decent amp. Good speakers and a crap amp will end up having crap sound.

In my opinion...even though I am Pioneer based, Alpine amps are better then Pioneer. Though there are other brands of amps, such as MTX and Audiobahn.

Read the tech docos as the people above me have mentioned.

phong =P~

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next