Sound Sytem In Small Hatch 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Sound Sytem In Small Hatch
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

Not sure if this topic has been covered, did a search and couldnt find anything.

Im looking to do an audi instal in my sisters 94 Hyandai Excel (Boxcar style) and im not sure what i should have in the back. What is generally better, 6.5 splits or 6x9's (asuming they are both around the same quality sound level.

I was thinking of running 6x9's on the rear parcel tray, 6.5 splits in the doors, and a 12" boxed sub in the back. Would that be an okay setup, or would i be better off having 6.5 splits in the rear as well? Shes basically just looking for a system that thumps bass but also has good sound quality .

Any help much appreciated thanks.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

my experience is that 6x9s dont go well with subs

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

xpression wrote:
my experience is that 6x9s dont go well with subs

Hmm so i would be better with 6.5 inch splits front and rear then? I used to have a SWIFT with 6x9's in the back, only time ive ever had 6x9's, never had them with subs.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

yeh id look at 6" or 6.5" splits in the front, some decent 6 or 6.5's in the rear and a sub, or get some decent 6x9's and no sub. depends what u want really

Post subject: excel
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el xr8

NSW, Australia

my son has a 1995 excel and he is running 6" 230w sony xplod in front doors, 6x9 320w sony xplod in home made parcel shelf , 12" 1000w sony xplod sub in the boot. 6" of head unit and xlpod sub and 6x9 of 4ch 800w xplod amp, the sound is fantastic !!!!

i smell bad even when fm members drive past lol.

Post subject: Re: excel
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

fordebgt93 wrote:
my son has a 1995 excel and he is running 6" 230w sony xplod in front doors, 6x9 320w sony xplod in home made parcel shelf , 12" 1000w sony xplod sub in the boot. 6" of head unit and xlpod sub and 6x9 of 4ch 800w xplod amp, the sound is fantastic !!!!

No offence though saying the sound is fantastic, have you ever heard any other decent setups ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

xpression wrote:
yeh id look at 6" or 6.5" splits in the front, some decent 6 or 6.5's in the rear and a sub, or get some decent 6x9's and no sub. depends what u want really

Agree with xpression ... look at spending more money on the front splits and go either decent 6"/6.5" splits....and the same for the rears....just say the next model under or something.....going a subwoofer theres no need for 6x9's..... and its always better to spend more cash beefing up the front stage with quality splits then worry too much about how much you spend on the rears.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
xpression wrote:

Agree with xpression ... look at spending more money on the front splits and go either decent 6"/6.5" splits....and the same for the rears....just say the next model under or something.....going a subwoofer theres no need for 6x9's..... and its always better to spend more cash beefing up the front stage with quality splits then worry too much about how much you spend on the rears.

so basically 6.5 swplits front and rear? will that be too bassy? Donmt get me wrong i love bass, but not if the bass drowns out the trebble and i cant hear the words of the song.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

68stang wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
xpression wrote:

so basically 6.5 swplits front and rear? will that be too bassy? Donmt get me wrong i love bass, but not if the bass drowns out the trebble and i cant hear the words of the song.

How do you plan to have the front/rear speakers connected will they be head unit driven or amplified ?

Also if they are fully active ie have an active crossover box with them.... you will set frequency ranges through filters....normally....if say you have 6.5" splits front and rear off an amplifier...you would have the amps HPF (high pass filter) set to on...for those channels that the speakers are connected to....What this does is limiting the output of the speaker to only play the high freqeuncy tones such as vocals, instruments etc....and by having subs where they are connected if also to an amp the LPF(low pass filter) would be enabled to play all the sub bass frequencies...that way vocals and so on are driven from the speakers where they belong...from the speakers not the subs and closer to the listeners ears...and all those great car trembling sub bass frequencies come thumping from the sub in the boot...and not from the speakers which can cause them to distort.

Follow me ?

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

and also on the bass note....front speakers if you had a listen to a few different brand 'sound boards' at your local car audio dealer you can hear some are 'bassier' than others.... so speakers themselves depending on choice can produce more 'midbass' than others....it depends on the frequency range those speakers were manufactured to produce for example a speaker that produces frequencies from 30hz to 30khz will produce more 'bass' than a speaker that produce from 25hz to 60khz...and the 2nd speaker will have clearer and sharper highs...so it will sound more like the treble has been turned up.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

that was my next question, would it sound okay to have the front and rear speakers connected to the head unit, and then just ahve an amp for the 12" sub (prolly a sony xplod 1300 wats) or will i require 2 amps for "fairly" loud sound. Btw the h/u im getting for my sis is a pioneer DEH-P5850MP.

We are just basically looking for a really loud sound without distortion, rather than bass that will rupture internal organs. That said we also like bass lol.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

68stang wrote:
that was my next question, would it sound okay to have the front and rear speakers connected to the head unit, and then just ahve an amp for the 12" sub (prolly a sony xplod 1300 wats) or will i require 2 amps for "fairly" loud sound. Btw the h/u im getting for my sis is a pioneer DEH-P5850MP.

We are just basically looking for a really loud sound without distortion, rather than bass that will rupture internal organs. That said we also like bass lol.

Do the DEH-P5850MP have the 3x 4 or watever voltage pre-outs(RCA's) ?

The front and rear speakers would run fine off the head deck.

Then grab yourself an amplifier and good 12" sub (whats your max budget for each item?.. realistically)

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
68stang wrote:

Then grab yourself an amplifier and good 12" sub (whats your max budget for each item?.. realistically)

3x rca out. max budget is 1500 bucks (inc instal)

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

68stang wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
68stang wrote:

Ok so $1500 is that for front and rear speakers, amplifier/s, wiring and installation (may include fabrication)...

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
68stang wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
68stang wrote:

Ok so $1500 is that for front and rear speakers, amplifier/s, wiring and installation (may include fabrication)...

Yeah 1500 Total, there shouldnt need to be any fabrication, im just putting a boxed sub in the boot

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]